Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by DaisyD0g View Post
Good morning all!!

No rain yet but it is on its way!

Thanks Lynne for taking the time to remember our veterans, serving forces and forces animals, and Thankyou to everyone who has taken part in a parade today.

Today we shall walk the doglets, and then I am thinking of having a huge bonfire, we have had piles of stuff laying around since a massive ice storm last winter that took ALOT of branches from our trees.. anyway all summer we had a burn ban so now I am thinking of spending a lovely day out in the garden burning!! (I am not a pyrotechnic honest )

So we shall see what the day brings - Happy Sunday everyone x
Evening DD no problems with remebering the Veterans and the forces they have done so much it is the least we can do to remember the sacrifices they made for us.

I hope you had a good walk and that you enjoy your bonfire.
We believe you.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2012, 06:13 PM
Evening all..........lovely sunny day here, just wish that Jimmi and I could have had our usual walk, but there you go. At least his paw is looking quite good today

From my family history research, I had a very special person to think of today at 11.00. Some months ago now, I was idly checking through the WW1 records for medals etc. for one of my past family.........I didn't expect to find anything because he was at the time of very recent German Jewish origin, and most of that line of my ancestors were not allowed to fight. I found his name, clicked on the record and at first glance there appeared to be nothing there; just about to click off when I spotted a tiny "VC" written under his name. One of those moments that leave you stunned. Anyway, he was something of a legend, and at the age of 20 was in charge of troops.....he had been shot twice, but still paced backwards and forwards across the ridge, encouraging and urging his men. He was finally killed by a third bullet. His medal is on display in a museum in Yorkshire, and we went to see it along with my very aged father (who had his first ride on a stair lift, and made the biggest fuss imagineable about it). Reading about his life, and his courage, has not only filled me with pride but also a sense of having a very real connection with the first World War. He was a remarkable man, well, still a boy really, and so were so very many of our soldiers.

Back up to date, and I am still chewing my thumb over that horse H.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-11-2012, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Evening all..........lovely sunny day here, just wish that Jimmi and I could have had our usual walk, but there you go. At least his paw is looking quite good today

From my family history research, I had a very special person to think of today at 11.00. Some months ago now, I was idly checking through the WW1 records for medals etc. for one of my past family.........I didn't expect to find anything because he was at the time of very recent German Jewish origin, and most of that line of my ancestors were not allowed to fight. I found his name, clicked on the record and at first glance there appeared to be nothing there; just about to click off when I spotted a tiny "VC" written under his name. One of those moments that leave you stunned. Anyway, he was something of a legend, and at the age of 20 was in charge of troops.....he had been shot twice, but still paced backwards and forwards across the ridge, encouraging and urging his men. He was finally killed by a third bullet. His medal is on display in a museum in Yorkshire, and we went to see it along with my very aged father (who had his first ride on a stair lift, and made the biggest fuss imagineable about it). Reading about his life, and his courage, has not only filled me with pride but also a sense of having a very real connection with the first World War. He was a remarkable man, well, still a boy really, and so were so very many of our soldiers.

Back up to date, and I am still chewing my thumb over that horse H.
Evening Sally.

Glad to hear Jimmi's paw is on the mend shame you are having to miss walks though.

What an amazing story and something to make you feel proud. I would imagine it made you feel sad too.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2012, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Evening Sally.

Glad to hear Jimmi's paw is on the mend shame you are having to miss walks though.

What an amazing story and something to make you feel proud. I would imagine it made you feel sad too.
Hi Lynn, and I was so pleased to read that your man will be back sooner than expected. Not long to go now then Thank goodness for Skype though, it is at times like this that it is absolutely invaluable.

Yes, I did feel a little sad about Pip (Philip), as he was a very gifted and intelligent lad. But then, every fallen soldier has a story.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2012, 06:52 PM
Evening all I see June's lit the fire for us, although Debbie's staying outdoors with hers, and Sally has arrived with her magic bottle, and we've had yet another gorgeous little puppy fix today, plus the sun was shining ALL day for us, how good is that!

That was a lovely story there Sally, no wonder you are made of stern stuff when you come from good ancesterol stock like that. Two bullets and he was still up and down urging on his men , quite incredible how they fought for man and country and still are today. My dad was a Capitan in the army, and my poor mother bless her soul, being Polish, was taken from her home at the age of 14 thrown onto a train with her younger brother and taken to Siberia to dig up potatoes and collect wood in a concentration camp, that's not so good is it She was probably one of very few survivors, thank goodness, because if she hadn't, then of course, I wouldn't be here now! She met my father on the front line when she was nursing in Italy Yes, she told me, she went with her friend in her car and drove out to pay him a visit and he told her off coz he said "this is the bladdy front line here what are you doing here" This is what she told me anyway, and I don't think she told porkies!

Anyhoo, no more news on the horse, except that the couple I spoke to lunchtime with a choccy lab, think that it might have gone back over to the "other side", not that side, but the other side of the track, there's some more stables, where they "think" he could have come from coz they take in a lot of rescues there. Either way, I will be stopping off at the other stables somewhen tomorrow to see that lady I already know and definitely be asking her what she knows. Failing that, then it'll be a call to the equine vets, they should tell me about what happened I'm sure seeing as I was the one who reported the poor boy to them.

So glad to hear little Jimmi's paw seems to be getting better, hope it stays that way, you'll have to try and stop his evening zoomies around the house getting carpet burn, but I expect the poor little chap is full of energy if he can't get out yet Such lovely weather to have taken him out, but maybe tomorrow hey?! Good luck with him Sally.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-11-2012, 07:26 PM
Not got a fire going......yet, but just had a nice Sunday tea, and settling down with a nice glass of red or two. Oh and some chocolate ........waiting for I'm a celeb to come on,
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-11-2012, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Not got a fire going......yet, but just had a nice Sunday tea, and settling down with a nice glass of red or two. Oh and some chocolate ........waiting for I'm a celeb to come on,
Evening Jackie.
Red wine and chocolate. Mmmmmmm
Have a nice evening.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Evening Jackie.
Red wine and chocolate. Mmmmmmm
Have a nice evening.
Not good for the diet, blame my hubby, he insisted
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Gosh H......what a story about your parents; it just shows how many incredible and fascinating stories there are in our background, but sadly many of the oldies never talked about it. I bet your mum was a lovely person - my father spoke with extreme fondness of the Poles during WWII, such lovely cheerful (and extremely naughty!) people. I say naughty, because when the war was over, father was in charge of the Polish contingent in Germany until they could be repatriated. They were expressly forbidden to set up their ubiquitous stills to make potato vodka, but did so of course, all over the place. Each time one was discovered, they would just sneak off behind the trees and set up another one! Also, when they decided to party, they REALLY partied and farmers local to the camp must have wondered why they kept losing the odd cow, although the delicious scent of beef roasting must have been a dead giveaway Just one sad note as an end to this little tale about the lovely Polish race, my father and his men were warned never to touch the potato vodka as it was almost pure alcohol, but at one party one night my father's second in command ignored the warning and was dead by morning......just not used to it you see.

Just a small swig from that magic bottle tonight, off to Oxford tomorrow for one of my sister in law's funeral. Obviously I am very sad for my brother, but cannot help but look forward to seeing other members of the family that I haven't seen for flipping ages.....oh, does that sound awful?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2012, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post

Oooh perfect........a good roaring fire, wine, choccies and the jungle mayhem.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >