Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
The only problem with putting signs up is that they could attract anti-bloodsports protestors and to be honest the public rarely takes any notice of signs nowadays. I never put signs or flags up because of this reason. I had an encounter a while back early one morning with some dog walkers who didnt agree with me shooting foxes despite the fact they were all tresspassing on very clearly signed land and were allowing their two terriers to run in amongst the pheasant pens. They even had the cheek to say tresspass dont exist anymore because of the right to roam until i said so that gives me the right to pitch up in your back garden then?
I've used that one before when someone was arguing about parking in MY drive!

Definitely agree about the public ignoring signs. I just. Checked the sign they use here when the close the moor and it does mention it is because shooting is going on. We have had antis here as well on shoots

Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Ah I thought so - GSP's, IMO, have a high prey drive, they seem to me to be more hyper than the English - certainly mine was - and absolutely definitely should not be allowed to run riot anywhere near livestock, particularly sheep.
Not in my experience. My pointers have all been hyper and very driven, although never had a problem with sheep.
Helen
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
The only problem with putting signs up is that they could attract anti-bloodsports protestors and to be honest the public rarely takes any notice of signs nowadays. I never put signs or flags up because of this reason. I had an encounter a while back early one morning with some dog walkers who didnt agree with me shooting foxes despite the fact they were all tresspassing on very clearly signed land and were allowing their two terriers to run in amongst the pheasant pens. They even had the cheek to say tresspass dont exist anymore because of the right to roam until i said so that gives me the right to pitch up in your back garden then?
I thought it was illegal not to put up signs ? i'm in Scotland, perhaps the laws a bit different.

The Right to Roam legislation does have privacy exceptions, so no, you can't pitch up in someone's back garden, unless of course it happens to be the size of Kent
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I've used that one before when someone was arguing about parking in MY drive!

Definitely agree about the public ignoring signs. I just. Checked the sign they use here when the close the moor and it does mention it is because shooting is going on. We have had antis here as well on shoots

Not in my experience. My pointers have all been hyper and very driven, although never had a problem with sheep.
Helen
Phew - lucky you!!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I always thought of gundogs (even the German varieties who are generally "harder" than others ime) as being relatively uninterested in sheep in general, but have found that GWPs in particular have extremely high prey drive. It sounds as though GSPs can be as driven too.

Mine, a bitch, was a nightmare, but we didn't have her until she was adult. She had a huge prey drive, we had to be extremely careful with her, although she did escape a few times - to her cost. Sadly, she was run over by the local vet as he drove through the village where we lived.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 03:06 PM
Mine, a bitch, was a nightmare, but we didn't have her until she was adult. She had a huge prey drive, we had to be extremely careful with her, although she did escape a few times - to her cost. Sadly, she was run over by the local vet as he drove through the village where we lived.
Aww how sad
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2012, 04:24 PM
I'm sorry.

I did have problems with my old gwp with sheep though, and made sure that my second one was good around them.

Helen
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2012, 06:55 AM
Some of this makes my sighting of a free ranging wolf up the lane here seem very tame!

So many dogs roam free here in Ireland. When I moved last month, the new landlord was fine re my bringing dogs; he has cattle and sheep. Of course he came to meet the dogs; I was fine with that and that he needed to know that I have full control over them and that they are never ever allowed to roam. And he is quite fine now as I do have full control over the pair.

It is simply courtesy and respect for others.

NB did you eat the goose,,,,
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4