View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-09-2012, 08:58 AM
I for one am happy to come forward with my success however when all of them suddenly disappear after a rabbit I tend to keep that to myself
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2012, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by alexgirl73 View Post
Honestly, some days I don't want to come on here as I end up feeling rather down I keep reading all these threads about peoples dogs having acheived this, that or the other. Having perfect recall, knowing loads of tricks etc. And then I look at Ranger!!! I'm lucky if he comes back half the time (although he is 90% with hubby). He usually completely ignores me, we can't get him to stop barking at every little noise outside the front door, if I try to get him to do a trick, he sits there with his tongue (or other parts ) hanging out, looking all dopey I adore him to bits, but really and truly I think I got the dumbest German Shepherd ever to walk the earth

Anyone else feel like their dog isn't quite up to scratch?
If you want to feel better about Ranger your quite welcome to come and spend some time with the Spots (who are currently wresting on the sofa )
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-09-2012, 09:44 AM
LOL! Loving some of these stories. And please, don't anyone think I was criticising or trying to upset people who do a 'brag' post. I love reading them and seeing how proud you all are of your dogs when they have done something I'm just jealous as heck

I always had this image in my head of this proud, stately dog walking alongside me. Beautiful manners, protective, intelligent. Instead I got Goofy But for all his faults he's my baby and I wouldn't swap him for the world. One day I'll come on here with a brag
GlitzyGeorgina
New Member!
Female 

06-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Hi
I would'nt worry, they get there in the end with patience and love. My German Shepherd Marco was a right swine when I got him at 6 months old, but this is because he was a rescue dog. Its taken a very long while but I know think he is well balanced.

I found Ollie (cross breed of some sort) tied to a tree about 3 years ago, hes improved a great deal, but he still barks alot when he is in the same room as Marco. I'll not give up though and he'll get there in the end.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-09-2012, 10:35 AM
I agree with the others that we tend to post about the good things our dogs do but probably not post when they do something naughty and unexpected! For example, I will quite happily post about the lovely emergency stop Molly did the other day, while not mentioning that I had to use it because she had wrapped her lead around my legs and was about to drag me into a lake!

It's all about focusing on the positives! I mean, maybe your boy doesn't have a great recall but I bet there are loads of other things he can do
alexgirl73
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by Magpyex View Post
I agree with the others that we tend to post about the good things our dogs do but probably not post when they do something naughty and unexpected! For example, I will quite happily post about the lovely emergency stop Molly did the other day, while not mentioning that I had to use it because she had wrapped her lead around my legs and was about to drag me into a lake!

It's all about focusing on the positives! I mean, maybe your boy doesn't have a great recall but I bet there are loads of other things he can do
He sleeps brilliantly
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-09-2012, 11:50 AM
He sleeps brilliantly
I'm definitely jealous of that, I wish Molly would sleep more!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2012, 12:49 PM
Honestly, some days I don't want to come on here as I end up feeling rather down I keep reading all these threads about peoples dogs having acheived this, that or the other. Having perfect recall, knowing loads of tricks etc. And then I look at Ranger!!! I'm lucky if he comes back half the time (although he is 90% with hubby). He usually completely ignores me, we can't get him to stop barking at every little noise outside the front door, if I try to get him to do a trick, he sits there with his tongue (or other parts ) hanging out, looking all dopey I adore him to bits, but really and truly I think I got the dumbest German Shepherd ever to walk the earth

Anyone else feel like their dog isn't quite up to scratch?
You haven`t met Prince, have you.......

He`s the one on the left. He has the remarkable skill of being able to turn an experienced, calm dog-savvy handler into a stressed, red-faced screeching wreck... alternating with leaving everyone howling with laughter.
Bless `im.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2012, 02:43 PM
Aw bless you, don't be downhearted. I think we ALL have stories of things our dogs have done that we aren't proud of, but not many people brag about those for some reason

Ranger will have loads of good qualities. Try to focus on the positives and change the negatives one at a time.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2012, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
You haven`t met Prince, have you.......

He`s the one on the left. He has the remarkable skill of being able to turn an experienced, calm dog-savvy handler into a stressed, red-faced screeching wreck... alternating with leaving everyone howling with laughter.
Bless `im.
I just LOVE the expression on the 'other' dog's face!
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »