Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2012, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
No, I don't think routine castrations should be banned.

From a rescue point of view, whilst I don't think neutering young dogs is in their best interests, I can understand that they believe it is in the best interests of dogs as a whole. Accidents do happen, dogs do get out of gardens, and it is surely better that two neutered dogs meet, than another litter of unwanted puppies is produced. Most people on here are much more responsible than the general dog owning public, and even amongst us people have have dogs escape.

From a personal point of view, I had my dogs neutered. Simon when I first got him at 2 1/2, and Jake at about 18 months. They were never ever going to be allowed to have sex. What is so wrong in me taking away their desire too?
Totally agree. Whilst I wouldn't neuter a male without very good reason and wouldn't neuter early unless there was a medical reason I don't think that the gp are responsible enough to have entire dogs in general.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2012, 08:40 PM
More information about NAIA

NAIA opposes laws restricting the practices of ear cropping, tail docking, debarking of dogs, and removing the claws of cats. Their opposition is based largely on what they believe to be activist campaigns to unnecessarily restrict the rights of animal owners and to remove these decisions from the owner and their veterinarian. NAIA states that these procedures, when properly done, do not cause pain; or that the animal is too young to have a developed nervous system.[15] All of these practices are banned in the UK[16] and more than 20 countries ban declawing as extremely inhumane.[17] Tail docking and ear cropping are also banned in many jurisdictions.

Also

NAIA receives its primary financial support from donations from individuals, the majority of whom are pet owners who support the goals of NAIA, related businesses and associations in farm animal agribusiness, commercial breeding, hunting, fishing, trapping, fur ranching, animal research, rodeos and circuses. In other words, all the traditional animal interests.

Hopefully they would also support those who wished to neuter at whatever age they choose to do so.

At the end of the other article

It’s certainly not for all pets (indeed, maybe only for a small minority), but it’s nonetheless a bonus to have another option, right?

That seems about right to me.

rune
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2012, 08:57 PM
I dont think it should be Banned but I do think that vets should discuss, in a more informed manner, with an owner the options and pro's and con's.

Information sheets should also be given so an owner can decide without the vet seeing the pound signs!!!

It has become a vets bread and butter along with vaccinations and the GP are so ill-informed that they will accept anything a vet will say.

As for some Rescue's neutering at such young ages I find this disgraceful.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2012, 09:05 PM
To be fair to vets, they would rather spay a healthy bitch then be forced into an emergency spay of an often elderly bitch with pyometra which does not always end well.

So having seen both a routine and an emergency spay I have some sympathy for those who would rather avoid the latter.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

15-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Jake's still all there. Never had a problem. Never felt any pressure from our vet to get him 'done' either. I'd say don't surgically intervene unless there's a good reason for it. Making the owner's life arguably a little easier is not a good reason. Dogs require their owners to be responsible which includes curbing mating instincts when necessary.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2012, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Agree with this. I do not want some senseless law TELLING me to neuter my dog or not. That is MY choice as a pet owner, based on my dog as an individual and our circumstances. I do not agree with blanket rules as what suits one dog does not suit another.

I do think vets should push the message strongly about neutering both dogs and bitches after maturity. Most issues associated with castrating male dogs relate to prepubescence neutering before the dog is physically mature.
Agree with this (and the other posts stating the same).

Absolutely no way would i want neutering banned.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2012, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
To be fair to vets, they would rather spay a healthy bitch then be forced into an emergency spay of an often elderly bitch with pyometra which does not always end well.

So having seen both a routine and an emergency spay I have some sympathy for those who would rather avoid the latter.
When we had a thread on spaying it was interesting how many people wrote and had had experience of emergency spays.

I was surprised!

rune
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2012, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Most of which is highly speculative and concludes with personal opinion.

There are also many studies out there supporting the opposing view.

Unless things have changed dramatically since I last researched it, the evidence is sketchy and speculative to say the least
Exactly. I certainly wouldn't call the evidence "overwhelming"

That aside, as SB pointed out already there are many many factors to be taken into consideration besides this anyway. Owner experience and ability being a big one.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2012, 09:26 PM
Since even the author of the article suggested that it was not for all dogs and probably for a minority it doesn't seem viable to me.

rune
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-06-2012, 09:41 PM
Having 2 white boxers with the the extra issues that can bring,
I read a lot at the time and testicular cancer and prostate issues were mentioned a lot...
So it made sense...
We waited till the were 16 /18 months old and have no regrets..
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >