View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-04-2012, 01:09 AM
Bear in mind that if chipping becomes compulsory that can lead to even more nice-natured, healthy dogs being put down, just because they are not chipped, and their owners will not do so, given that the rescues cannot deal with re-homing the currently over produced dogs.

Those with dangerous dogs are often the very people who flaunt the laws, challenge authority, and who are hardly likely to comply with a law making it easier to trace and prosecute them!

The government cannot effectively police registration and insurance of cars, drivers licenses, or Tv licenses. Does anyone really think they will mange to police this?!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2012, 05:42 AM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
The government cannot effectively police registration and insurance of cars, drivers licenses, or Tv licenses. Does anyone really think they will mange to police this?!
Not fully, no, but they can do so far more efficiently these days than before the current database came into being.

There's a saying - great oaks from little acorns grow.

When the ruling on compulsory chipping comes in, the acorn will have been planted. If Laws are enforced, their is a fair chance that the oak tree will grow from strength to strength. I hope so anyway and I also hope that the database will be put to good use in all sorts of ways
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-04-2012, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
quite the contrary, the gov is pretty good on those
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2012, 09:33 AM
To be perfectly honest, I'd rather have seen them policing things like leash laws and people picking up after their dogs than them implementing yet another thing that likely won't be enforced.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2012, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
To be perfectly honest, I'd rather have seen them policing things like leash laws and people picking up after their dogs than them implementing yet another thing that likely won't be enforced.
I think, given time, it could help with enforcement in these areas. At the moment, if they stop someone, they have to rely on their honesty in respect of name and address etc. If they have a scanner, in future they could, in theory, just scan the dog to get all the information they need.

As said, great oaks from little acorns grow!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2012, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by Tibter View Post
I saw a notice at the vets last week that it is now compulsory for a dog to be chipped if he/she is taken out of the country.

I think it is a very good idea. Surely if more dogs have a chip then the price will come down?
It was compulsory for your dog to be chipped for it to be issued with an EU Pet Passport as long ago as 2007 when I left the UK with my dog.

And, over here in Cyprus it is compulsory for them to be chipped too on account of ALL dogs having to be registered annually with the relevant dept at the municipality offices - and one of the requirements of registration is that the dog is micro-chipped. The cost of micro chipping is small compared with the cost of annual registration at about 25 quid a year.

However, as with so many 'laws' in Cyprus - this one only seems to be applied very randomly and then only to incomers to Cyprus, not Cypriots! They'd make a small fortune if they applied it to every Cypriot who has a cage full of 'hunting dogs' in their yard.

My Cypriot neighbours laughed at me a couple of years ago when I registered my dog, saying that now, if any incident involving a dog was reported in my area - my dog would be blamed for it because it would be the ONLY dog registered as living here!
obbie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-04-2012, 11:06 AM
I think its a good law rsponsable people are doing it anyway so won't make any difference, as a society we shouldnt just leave it to the police to information gather.
I would like to see everyone helping out, if "mrs Jones" down the road has bred 4 litters of pup and sold them all fo £50 each to who ever will buy them, then she should be reported.
THe police can then enforce the laws if we all help out abit, at the end of the day it will be the dogs we are helping.
Rasier said than done though if it the local drug den psyco house doing it.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2012, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
It's the buyer who has to change the details & there is already a certificate issued by Petlog(or for some chips the chip company's own database)
I know its the buyer but they are less likely to do it if they don't need to. If I sell a chipped dog & if at some time in the future there is a problem & I am liable in law unless I have changed the details I'm more lable to do it. Now I am liable for speeding fines etc on a car I've sold until the details are changed at the DVLA I make sure they are changed.
When I said a certificate I would like it to be a countrywide same paperwork & act like a licence. I'd also like to see the initial breeders name stay on it at the data base. I have changed Hannah's tatoo to my name as it still links to her breeder but her chip is currently in her breeders name so if anything happens to me she will still be safe. This is only possible though because we are friends & live near each other.
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-04-2012, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
I think, given time, it could help with enforcement in these areas. At the moment, if they stop someone, they have to rely on their honesty in respect of name and address etc. If they have a scanner, in future they could, in theory, just scan the dog to get all the information they need.

As said, great oaks from little acorns grow!
So the police have to carry a scanner round in case they have to stop someone with a dog that looks 'of the type'. Then they have to rely on the owners having either bothered changing the details when the pup was bought from the breeder, if chipped at all and if they had, not having given a false address. Good luck on that. That poor acorn just got cracked with a sledge hammer, so there won't be any tree.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by DoKhyi View Post
So the police have to carry a scanner round in case they have to stop someone with a dog that looks 'of the type'. Then they have to rely on the owners having either bothered changing the details when the pup was bought from the breeder, if chipped at all and if they had, not having given a false address. Good luck on that. That poor acorn just got cracked with a sledge hammer, so there won't be any tree.
Nope, was talking about dog wardens carrying them for offenders on leash laws/not picking up, but talking about dogs of 'type', once the dog was seized, I would imagine it would be scanned at that point.

Just as you get those risking getting caught for no tax and insurance in cars, you will get those who will try to get around the microchipping law.

Does that mean that we shouldn't try??

Like it or not, that acorn is going to be planted. We can only hope that it grows into a flourishing tree and that the idiots with sledgehammers are easier to catch up with as the Law gets ever tougher on offenders.
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >