View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mandyB
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-02-2012, 08:36 PM
My Lab went to the vet this afternoon with a broken dew claw, it was sticking out at a very peculiar angle and obviously causing a great deal of pain. Vet told me he'd probably have to stay in for a sedation but she'd get the nurses to hold him and get a good look first. He was taken into the next room, came back a few minutes later, vet holding the whole nail in her hand, she'd managed to pull it off as it had only been attached by a thread. She said he hadn't even yelped which I'm sure is true as I would of heard. He's certainly much happier now, has a course of antibiotics and we have to keep it dry until the nailbed heals.

So it is possible to pull a whole nail off without any sort of sedation but it all depends on how well it is still attached.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2012, 10:59 PM
But thats because effectively your dogs claw was already broken off, only held 'by a thread' otherwise, as your vet said, sedation at least...

Glad your dogs ok.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4