Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mummysnoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-01-2012, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I'm afraid they are - they will not rehome to anyone with entire animals. Even if it was a neutered cat going into a home with entire dogs! I did ask why they had such a restrictive policy, their answer was: everyone who keeps entire animals is irresponsible as it will lead to accidental litters.

As a family we've always had at least one entire dog and we've never managed to produce an accidental litter.......

I'm sure they do excellent work, but such a statement is just a tiny bit ridiculous imo! Just because you keep un-neutered animals does not make you automatically irresponsible and therefore responsible for all the PF'd and BYB litters that need rescuing!

Sorry, off topic I know, I shall leave it there to get back on topic!

Well said.

I have had 6 entire male dogs and they were never out of my sight long enough to have an "illicit affair" I don't believe in castration unless it is for their health I think its just so Vets can make extra money out of people. Please don't jump down my throat that is just my opinion.
The other thing about Many Tears you cannot re-home from them unless you have a resident dog.
mummysnoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-01-2012, 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by twilightwolf View Post
it's a rare job, and if you really want to work in animal rescue go for it.
I got my dream job last year when i got offered a job in the animal rescue i have been volunteering at for over four years. The pay is not great in most rescue jobs, but they have to pay minimum wage legally. To be quite honest, you will get about the same working in a rescue as you would in a lot of retail jobs. Lots of people can manage with an income working in "tesco-land" so i'm sure at a push you could live off a full time minium wage. It will be hard, but cost of living in some areas of wales are lower than some parts of england.

I will be up front and honest and admit that working with animals is not for everybody. Sometimes you have days which are unbelievable and you look up at the sky and think... wow i'm actually working here. Other days, when hard decisions have to be made, or if animals are very ill it can all turn around. We were recently hand rearing a little kitten which was having feeding difficulties and after the little fighter fought for just over a week, she sadly passed away.
You try not to get attatched, but you just can't stop yourself half of the time. However... that tiny moment, when the aggressive german shepherd makes eye contact with you instead of barking at the guy with the hat on, or the moment that a shy dog comes around and lays its head on your lap.... it really makes it all worth while.

Hands down.. i would say give it a go. What harm could come of it? If not... write down on a piece of paper the pros and cons of going for the job. I.E if you have to move, financial concerns, etc.

Hope this has helped.

Our rescue has worked with Many Tears and they really work endlessly to save the lives of dogs and find them new homes. The people on the many tears team who i have met in person have seemed really nice caring people, who know the dogs inside out. All in all, a rare job at a great rescue.
Well said. Thanks
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-01-2012, 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by mummysnoo View Post
Well said.

I have had 6 entire male dogs and they were never out of my sight long enough to have an "illicit affair" I don't believe in castration unless it is for their health I think its just so Vets can make extra money out of people. Please don't jump down my throat that is just my opinion.
The other thing about Many Tears you cannot re-home from them unless you have a resident dog.
That is for their ex breeding dogs ...
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 08:19 AM
No thanks, I did almost 6 years of picking up poo for minimum wage in the a*se end of nowhere! Yes it was satisfying (for the most part) but at some point I needed to grow up and pay the bills Its all consuming. I'm much happier working where I now and volunteering with animals where I can.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I'm sure they do excellent work, but such a statement is just a tiny bit ridiculous imo! Just because you keep un-neutered animals does not make you automatically irresponsible and therefore responsible for all the PF'd and BYB litters that need rescuing!

Sorry, off topic I know, I shall leave it there to get back on topic!
You have to consider that they're constantly seeing the result of entire dogs being bred, on purpose or by accident. They probably do go a bit OTT but I think it's for good reason. As a rescue, I imagine they don't want to be seen to condone accidental litters - you may not ever have one, but if they rehome to you and you did, maybe they feel like they've said it's OK to take that risk because they sent a dog (even a neutered one) to that home - so saying that they feel the home/setup/owner are suitable. I'm not agaisnt keeping entire dogs in some situations as I know the decision isn't black and white but rescues are entitled to policies that not only directly affect the animals they home, but policies that reflect their ethics too.

Originally Posted by mummysnoo View Post
As someone else said, I believe that's for ex-breeding dogs, because most of the time they're from puppymills/BYBs where they haven't really known a normal life - just shut in one room/outside with lots of other dogs. Makes sense to me that the transition to a normal home would go a whole lot easier if they at least had doggy company like they were used to.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
You have to consider that they're constantly seeing the result of entire dogs being bred, on purpose or by accident. They probably do go a bit OTT but I think it's for good reason. As a rescue, I imagine they don't want to be seen to condone accidental litters - you may not ever have one, but if they rehome to you and you did, maybe they feel like they've said it's OK to take that risk because they sent a dog (even a neutered one) to that home - so saying that they feel the home/setup/owner are suitable. I'm not agaisnt keeping entire dogs in some situations as I know the decision isn't black and white but rescues are entitled to policies that not only directly affect the animals they home, but policies that reflect their ethics too.
I posted to assist someone make a point about them being breedist so, as I said, I'll leave my last post on the subject as just that. No point in ruining someone's thread repeating what has already been said and as a result can be found on other threads regarding the topic.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4