Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Biggly Wiggly
New Member!
Female 

24-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and hadn't read anything about raw food diets before - I feel like a bad dog mum

I've got a 9 year old beautiful Doberman mix (rescue dog) who is just fed twice a day with regular dog kibbles (Pets at Home own brand), the odd treat and nothing else - is this bad?

We've also recently started Mr. B on Dog Gone Pain as he seemed to have been slowing down on walks and looking a little sad etc. Since starting him on this I'm happy to say we've noticed a huge difference in his demeanor and energy. We'll definitely be keeping him on these but I think I may have to take a second look at his diet!
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by Biggly Wiggly View Post
Hi,

I'm new to this forum and hadn't read anything about raw food diets before - I feel like a bad dog mum

I've got a 9 year old beautiful Doberman mix (rescue dog) who is just fed twice a day with regular dog kibbles (Pets at Home own brand), the odd treat and nothing else - is this bad?

We've also recently started Mr. B on Dog Gone Pain as he seemed to have been slowing down on walks and looking a little sad etc. Since starting him on this I'm happy to say we've noticed a huge difference in his demeanor and energy. We'll definitely be keeping him on these but I think I may have to take a second look at his diet!
Of course you are not a bad dog mum, some people are not aware of the raw diet, and besides, it doesn't suit all dogs, i tried it on my two, one was ok the other one it didn't suit. Don't feel guilty !

If you want to find out more about the raw diet, there is a thread specifically on this
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2011, 05:06 PM
Hi,

no you arent a bad a mum plenty of people dont know about raw feeding. if you want to read more then look in the raw feeding section, theres heaps of information on there

everyones dogs do best on different things, so dont feel bad about what you feed.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2011, 05:24 PM
Hi,

The majority of dog owners in this country feed a commercial diet so you have nothing to worry about.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2011, 06:47 PM
Isn't it interesting that BW has made two posts both of which mention a particular product............
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Mine eat raw so, meat, fish, eggs and bones - no veg. In emergencies mine have Acana other than Rio who has Nature's Menu as the dry food seems to affect her skin.

I feed them twice a day, when we get up and after work. We never had a set feeding routine until Keiko arrived but she demands her grub at regular times!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2011, 08:02 PM

Usually home-cooked. Chicken/turkey/white fish plus wholemeal rice or pasta plus egg and veggies and natural yogurt.

Sometimes they get "Barking Heads" senior (similar to Fish for Dogs) plus a bit of naturediet.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-12-2011, 12:02 AM
My dog is raw fed and mainly on chicken mince which includes bone but does have large poultry wings, whole chickens etc Sometimes, when I can get it, chicken liver. I also feed raw eggs, raw goats milk when I can, and canned fish. He also likes pork bones/meat and offal. Hopefully he will have turkey after xmas when they are reduced!

I don't have a problem with him eating a variety but he is a bit limited due to an allergy, otherwise I would like him to get lamb and beef too, but no can do!

I feed him in the morning and the evening. Times vary, but generally he eats first thing, tea time, and last thing in the day.
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-12-2011, 12:13 AM
My two are fed on rufus complete for working and sporting dogs, its not the best food, but it doesn't run through xeva and both of my dogs are doing well on it
woofinfinity
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-12-2011, 07:22 AM
I've been feeding my dogs Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice for 13 years. I've had danes for 5 years and cresteds for 5 years. Has kept the haired dogs nice and shiny; and the hairless rarely have a blemish/seems to happen when they wear nylon collars. With all the new great brands out there I'm interested in switching but worry about dog foods being too rich and causing diarrhea or other problems when they've been just fine on the same dog food for so long. Once in awhile I've mixed in Taste of the Wild for a different animal protein for flavor but always gives them diarrhea. Orijen so far looks really great, but I'm still unsure as I'm worried certain oils could cause skin issues among other problems.
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »