Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Also, can anybody help? I was told ages ago that Dashies are actually meant to be terriers, they are only classed as hounds because of mistranslation, that the hund actually means dog, but English saw it as hound?
That could certainly be true, "Hund" being "dog" in German.

...although someone from America said that they know a Dashie that has gone against Badgers, but I've been told American Badgers are smaller?
They look quite odd compared to ours.... and are smaller, top weight 7kg, compared to 7-17kg for the European.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_badger
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Fit for function should also include to be able to live a healthy life
I know the UK breeders are better than many countries but I know when I am making my sculptures of some breeds I get sad making all the wrinkles and think how much that must interfear with a dogs day to day movment

Unfortunatly in a ring it is going to be imposible to be able to judge temprament really well - I know if I wanted to I could train up Mia to be perfect in a ring surrounded by dogs - so to a judge she would look fine - but I would still know her temprament wasnt right
That one is up to the breeders to be totaly honest in themselves as to the nature of the dogs they are breeding
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Leadstaffs where applicable you can test for it at working trails, so things like Gundogs you can, sighthounds, lure coursing, scenthounds following trails, etc, where not applicable you would be limited to testing the dogs have the fitness levels required or something.
But that does not test for the all important correct temperament.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2011, 06:37 PM
Bullmastiffs were bred for protecting game keepers from poachers. Suppose you could still test for that as poacher is just a stranger trying to hurt you. One side of my brain is telling me Phoebe would fail this the other is hoping she wouldnt should a stranger ever attack me
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2011, 06:52 PM
MM your right, that badger does look odd, the European Badger looks a lot better, but ever since I was told of the Dashies its stuck, owners say that they think their dogs are more terrierlike then people think, and the ones I met could be fiesty little things when they wanted. And LS when talking about fit for function the part of the temperment thats important is the part that allows the dog to do the job is was bred for when applicable, which is the drive, trainability, focus, etc, other then that it would be up to the owner and the judge to assess as much as possible whether the dog has the correct temperment for the breed.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2011, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
In America I think, they make a maze of tunnels, place a rat in a cage at the end of one of these tunnels and send terriers in, the one I saw on TV was a Westie.. the dog is to bark when it has found the rat - and when it has done so one of the boards is lifted up and the dog took out. (they look like war trenches only with wooden boards on the top)

I suppose you could do the same for other breeds and just simulate what they're naturally bred to do?
These are earthdog trials. They like everything else here would be totally illegal.

They also do not IMO give anywhere near a true test of a terriers working capabilities.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by katygeorge;2398079[B
]Bullmastiffs were bred for protecting game keepers from poachers.[/B] Suppose you could still test for that as poacher is just a stranger trying to hurt you. One side of my brain is telling me Phoebe would fail this the other is hoping she wouldnt should a stranger ever attack me
Were they? I thought they were bred to protect game and bring down and subdue poachers. Never to attack?
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
These are earthdog trials. They like everything else here would be totally illegal.

They also do not IMO give anywhere near a true test of a terriers working capabilities.
Also like everything many dogs orininal function is now illegal so do we really want to keep their orininal temperament or a modified temperament that fits in with the modern world
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Were they? I thought they were bred to protect game and bring down and subdue poachers. Never to attack?
thats what i mean by protecting the game keeper - i didnt mean they would attack the poachers. My book worded it as - game keepers faithful assistant
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
thats what i mean by protecting the game keeper - i didnt mean they would attack the poachers. My book worded it as - game keepers faithful assistant
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >