View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 12:09 PM
No one likes experiments on animals BUT I for one would probably even wouldnt be alive now!

Jeanette
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
ANYONE who takes drugs of ANY description, is WILLINGLY supporting animal testing because they either were or still are being tested on them.

How many would say no to treatment that will cure or improve their health because the technique/drugs were tested on animals? Not many I expect, like NONE!!
Not just drugs, our knowledge of, just for example, correct nutrition is based on years of research. Anyone just purely living in the medically-advanced world is reliant on the fact that all basis of knowledge is from experimental data, they just aren't particularly aware of how scienctific advancement works.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 12:21 PM
Ok last point!

With regards to the anti-viv websites, they often quote that we can carry out research in vitro, i.e. use cells growing in a petri dish.

Ask this. Where do the cells come from in the first place? Where do we source the growth media and supplements required to keep the cells alive?

Even worse, ask where serum (an essential component of cell culture) comes from!

Do you really think that a group of cells in a dish grown in artificial conditions completely mimics what is happening in your body?

Ok, I need to get back to work
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
Sorry but GlaxoSmithkline is a truely evil company and one I avoid when ever possible! Of course i dont condone violence at all but i dont like the company.

Yes it is currently the law that all new medicines are tested on animals first which has to change before anything else. however there is no excuse for household products, cosmetics, food ect to be tested on animals in the UK. There is also no excuse for this company to give trade to Huntindon life sciences which is as far removed from humane as you can get.
Can I ask why you think it to be Evil?
I worked in the manufacture of the penicilin 'ammoxycilin' which myself and just about all of my friends have had to take at one point
GSK does loads of work in developing new drugs - so yes, leagaly that means there will have to have been some animal testing
I also know it is very lead by the accountants and animal testing is very expensive so they do the minimum that they can

But if you avoid GSK products then you are simply supporting the Indian companies who copy the drugs without having had to go to the expence of creating them in the first place
If everyone did that then no new drugs would ever be made because the companies could not make their money back to do more research (many companies can bypass the patent)
Without new drugs deseases will continue to evolve

These big evil companies are here working in the UK, providing some employment to all the people who were encouraged to go to university
creating a vast range of products for us all
Yes it is possible that some of the policies at head office you might not like - but trust me noone is more vocal than the people on the factory floor
The people in the individual sites are there doing their job the same as anyone else - even the site bosses

Oh and BTW working in some smaller companies I have to say GSK takes far better care of their employees and the surrounding area than the smaller places, saftey and the best quality equipment are always used - so I dont doubt it would be the same with any animal experimentation that went on also - it was not something that I saw or heard about because we were manufacturing research rather than new product development

Mmmmm well family members of mine are research scientists there, weird though I wouldnt say they were evil in any way.
Yup I checked me all over for evil and I cant find any!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Yup I checked me all over for evil and I cant find any!
Strange isnt it.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2011, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
Not just drugs, our knowledge of, just for example, correct nutrition is based on years of research. Anyone just purely living in the medically-advanced world is reliant on the fact that all basis of knowledge is from experimental data, they just aren't particularly aware of how scienctific advancement works.
Absolutely. Some people just think everything "appeared" and pzzzazz! It works!!
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Some people also seem to think that animal testing is only ever done for the benafit of our species alone. Wonder what research process they think was/is used to develop drugs for their pets.

I often find that the word evil is used when a person doesn't truely understand what it is they don't like. Not saying that is the case here, just an observation.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Yes I very much agree there on both points. Having worked in many different research facilities, I have never personally seen any work that I thought was "evil." Pretty sure I'm not evil

Certainly nothing worse than what happens in the meat industry, so again if a person uses medicial advancements and eats meat (or feeds their dog meat!!!!), IMO it's a tad hypocritical
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-10-2011, 04:16 PM
ANYONE who takes drugs of ANY description, is WILLINGLY supporting animal testing because they either were or still are being tested on them.

How many would say no to treatment that will cure or improve their health because the technique/drugs were tested on animals? Not many I expect, like NONE!!
Completely agree, its all very well shouting disgust over animal experiments, but I wonder how many would actually stand by such principles when there is a need to save your or someone close to you life!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Completely agree, its all very well shouting disgust over animal experiments, but I wonder how many would actually stand by such principles when there is a need to save your or someone close to you life!
You could count how many on one hand even if you had no fingers!!
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >