View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2011, 11:44 AM
Pressure mounted presumably just has poles that extend to fit tightly - like the net curtain poles you can buy that screw to go wider until they're wedged in place.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Pressure mounted presumably just has poles that extend to fit tightly - like the net curtain poles you can buy that screw to go wider until they're wedged in place.
Even for a tailgate?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2011, 11:50 AM
REad earlier in the thread, Trouble has one by Guardsman which is, AFAIK, the ONLY company that makes pressure mounted tailgates.

My tailgate is screwed in at the top sides of the rear aperture and through the floor. So 4 screws in all.

A Barjo, in a Volvo V70
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Mine is pressure mounted but doesn't have poles that extend. It's hard to describe but it has a heavy base plate that goes the full width of the interior of the boot (so much wider than the opening) it has two stumpy legs pointing up with large turn nuts on. The tailgate which weighs a ton is then positioned on the stumpy legs and fitted snugly at the top with two large angle plates to spread the load.. I then tighten the turn nuts as tight as I can by hand and then insert an allen key type spindle into the turn nut and continue to tighten until I can tighten no more. It's very sturdy and no matter what I can't shift it.

Edited to add, it's nothing like any of the ones on the Athag website either but I think it was a one off tbh as my car is not particularly common and no one else was interested in making one for me.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Mine is pressure mounted but doesn't have poles that extend. It's hard to describe but it has a heavy base plate that goes the full width of the interior of the boot (so much wider than the opening) it has two stumpy legs pointing up with large turn nuts on. The tailgate which weighs a ton is then positioned on the stumpy legs and fitted snugly at the top with two large angle plates to spread the load.. I then tighten the turn nuts as tight as I can by hand and then insert an allen key type spindle into the turn nut and continue to tighten until I can tighten no more. It's very sturdy and no matter what I can't shift it.
Ahh ok, that sounds much more secure than i had visions of!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

04-07-2011, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
Ahh ok, that sounds much more secure than i had visions of!
Don't worry, I thought the same when I read the bit about curtain poles
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Don't worry, I thought the same when I read the bit about curtain poles
I thought perhaps you might be fitting the interior out with curtains, cushions, tv..................
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

04-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I thought perhaps you might be fitting the interior out with curtains, cushions, tv..................

No I don't have curtains but the dogs do have a big thick cushioned bed in the boot and there is a headrest dvd player for the grandaughter on long journeys, so you're not far off the mark
I'll have to take some photo's of it when I put it back in the boot, I emptied everything out the other day when it went in the garage for a recall and I can't lift the tailgate yet cos I had an operation on thursday and am banned from lifting.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

05-07-2011, 05:15 PM
Photo's as promised
Empty boot

Manufacturers Dog guard in place with headrests not properly inserted

Base plate in position
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

05-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Photo's as promised
Empty boot

Manufacturers Dog guard in place with headrests not properly inserted

Base plate in position

Tailgate guard note the angle brackets for top fitting

Boot liner, bed and bumper protection in place

All closed up and ready to go

Hopefully that explains it all a bit better.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >