View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 07:56 PM
Jake never wears anything like that, he loves the water and goes in the river most days in the summer.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 08:22 PM
No devices here either, owning gundog breeds I've always tended to find they're natural swimmers. Except for Pickles, who would still paddle like mad in mid air if you plucked him from the water, until he was safely back on terra firma.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 09:15 PM
I think I may be very lucky in having a dog who loves to swim, but is extremely choosy about where he will do so. If he thinks the bank is too steep or too high he will not go in under any circumstances or any amount of persuasion!

He has learned from his own mistakes as a puppy brought up near the seafront and sea inlets, learning to swim from a young age, and I clearly remember the first time he thought he couldn't pull himself out of astream with high banks, and panicked. He's been very careful to judge the entry/exit ever since.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
Buttons has been in the canal today for the first time and in the thread I posted an interesting point has come to light.

Would you use a flotation device for your dog as part of a normal daily walk next to water where your dog may choose to go for a swim?

I am not talking about the use of one whilst on boats/lakes etc.

The stretch of canal where we walk is in a rural setting and has easy access in terms of dogs getting in and out.

Does anyone already do this or do you let your dog swim without one.If you do have one which one do you have?
My dogs would FREAK if I went anywhere near them with a "flotation device".

They like nothing better than leaping in and out of the canal, even in the winter months. The only trouble we have is when they jump in where the bank is shored up with metal anti-erosion devices, which means they can't get out again, so we have to haul them up and over without cutting their paws. We discourage them from going in where there is no natural bank, but occasionally they do a mad leap for the water. At the end of the day, if they were in trouble, I would jump in and save them. The canal is at the most 4 foot deep and I am a very strong swimmer.
jade the sbt
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-05-2011, 09:22 PM
my jade swims in lochs and the sea no bother so no probably not.. on a boat then yes, but im a strong swimmer so if she was in trouble id be half a second behind her XD
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 09:38 PM
I don't worry about Dan and Rio so much as they are both very powerful, but Rogue has an Ezydog lifejacket, as she almost got swept away last year and I had to rescue her. She can play longer too and I'm more relaxed. She's a funny shape though and has tiny legs and a big body - bless!
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4