Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2011, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
Cheers, I will note them down.
Also, if you are buying your first hens, stay away from auctions! You have no idea what you are buying in terms of age, health, breed really - you might think you are buying healthy point-of-lay, and they might be lice infested 2 year olds - very difficult to tell at auction!

Either try somewhere like www.happychicks.co.uk, or pick up a copy of Practical Poultry magazine and look in the classifieds or breeder directory
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
So it seems red spider mites are not a problem for everyone then. That's good, because I would rather have a largish wooden house than a very expensive small eglu anyway.

Now the birds...I don't want prolific layers that will burn themselves out after 18 months. What breeds are good for steady egg production over a number of years?
Dont dismiss the Eglu on its price.Sure its more expensive than timber coops,but its advantages in my opinion outweigh cost.It will never harbour redmites,never rot,never need treating with wood preservatives,cleaning is done with just hot soapy water and most important-it looks darn cool in orange!

Easy cleaning!

You dont have to use or even buy the run from Omlet and can just have the Eglu itself then make an enclosure for it and the hens to be in.I have 5 hens and they all fit comfortably in my Eglu at night because naturally they squish themselves up into one big poultry dollop and other than sleeping-only lay eggs in the coop.Its also secure from foxes which for me is a godsend because they're like a plague round here.I have my Eglu attached to a seperate run made from chicken wire which goes right down one side of my garden so they have approximately 20mtrs of space and they're always out freeranging the garden when im at home so i have happy hens.

I love my Eglu!
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2011, 01:50 PM
You can certainly see it Steve lol

I got my first lot of chickens (since moving down here) from happy chicks and they are still laying strong. We've had them for 2 years now.

Where abouts are you Maxine? Another good place to source chickens is word of mouth. I've had a couple of good ones from wanted ads on poultry boards. I always look there first if I am looking for new poultry.

Helen
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2011, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Dont dismiss the Eglu on its price.Sure its more expensive than timber coops,but its advantages in my opinion outweigh cost.It will never harbour redmites,never rot,never need treating with wood preservatives,cleaning is done with just hot soapy water and most important-it looks darn cool in orange!

Easy cleaning!

You dont have to use or even buy the run from Omlet and can just have the Eglu itself then make an enclosure for it and the hens to be in.I have 5 hens and they all fit comfortably in my Eglu at night because naturally they squish themselves up into one big poultry dollop and other than sleeping-only lay eggs in the coop.Its also secure from foxes which for me is a godsend because they're like a plague round here.I have my Eglu attached to a seperate run made from chicken wire which goes right down one side of my garden so they have approximately 20mtrs of space and they're always out freeranging the garden when im at home so i have happy hens.

I love my Eglu!

I was very tempted but eventually decided I need something bigger so I can accommodate the girls that are starting to stop laying, as well as their replacement layers. I have just splashed out and bought a largish wooden house that can easily take 6-10 birds. The Eglu on wheels that would be big enough is eye-wateringly expensive!
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
You can certainly see it Steve lol

I got my first lot of chickens (since moving down here) from happy chicks and they are still laying strong. We've had them for 2 years now.

Where abouts are you Maxine? Another good place to source chickens is word of mouth. I've had a couple of good ones from wanted ads on poultry boards. I always look there first if I am looking for new poultry.

Helen
I'm in central Surrey and surrounded by farms selling P-O-L chickens, ads in shops and notice boards etc. I just need to decide on which ones will be best for us. Perhaps a mixture as I want 3 to start off with?
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2011, 02:53 PM
I started off with a mixture, just because I liked the look of them. I think I would stick with a hybrid if you are wanting them for eggs.

Sounds like you will have no problem getting them, anyway.

Helen
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2011, 03:29 PM
I have a hankering for hens (and quail if I am honest) Maybe a bit later in the year I will!
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2011, 03:34 PM
My brother keeps quail. They are soo cute and sooo tiny when they hatch!

Helen
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Yes I think the Eglus etc are somewhat stark for some of us!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-04-2011, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Yes I think the Eglus etc are somewhat stark for some of us!
Why live life in the shade when you can have an in your face Eglu!
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >