View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
steve78
Dogsey Senior
Male 

12-04-2011, 09:44 PM
get a chiwowow they the cutest litlle mights ever lol as i speak teddy just bit lola for trying to wake him lol
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2011, 12:05 AM
I did this:

http://www.thespottedtongue.com/2010...with-plan.html

It worked out rather well!
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-04-2011, 02:08 AM
Do your research and go with your heart
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2011, 03:03 AM
Do Boxers drool - YES!!!! have you ever seen the film "Hooch" where the dog shakes his head & drool flies around the room? Plenty of Boxers can match that! Best not to wear dark clothes - dried drool shows up - a lot

Having said that thats only one small thing
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
I did this:

http://www.thespottedtongue.com/2010...with-plan.html

It worked out rather well!
Ahh, I shall make up a list like that and decide

Originally Posted by HiHoSilver View Post
Do your research and go with your heart
I do love doing research, I have masses of folders on everything...
I am just worried that what my heart says is not the best idea practically

Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Do Boxers drool - YES!!!! have you ever seen the film "Hooch" where the dog shakes his head & drool flies around the room? Plenty of Boxers can match that! Best not to wear dark clothes - dried drool shows up - a lot

Having said that thats only one small thing
No I havn't seen it actually
Hmmmm mega drool could be an issue..... but then.... I still love them
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2011, 11:23 AM
I've never chosen a dog either... they've all found me. I'm 29 years old, and have owned 7 dogs... all rescues/rehomes, and the 5 I have now all have issues, and issues different from the others.

But if I ever bought a dog, I would get an Irish Terrier... how I chose that breed? well, I went through many breeds in a wish list, and my wish list was always changing and evolving. The IT appeals to me due to their versatility, activity level, protectiveness, sense of humor, feisty personality, health of the breed (no known inherant health problems) size, and lastly overall look (I LOVE wire coats, and whiskery faces... and my favorite colour is Orange!) My second choice is a Standard Poodle (for much the same reasons as the IT), rounding out the top three is the Border Terrier. I also wouldn't mind a GSD... but also shortlisted (and only if they're deaf) are Rough Collie, ESS, Wire haired Fox Terrier, Great Dane, Pit Bull, and JRT/PRT.

I also know what I would never own. I know what works for me, and I know my limitations. I dont think I could ever own a Husky, Malamute, Lab, GR, or any of the intense herding breeds (ACD, Aussie shep, BC).

I have spent years researching breeds, training, and grooming. I have alot more experience than I once had (when I was 10 I wanted a Rottie) I suggest you just research anything that catches your eye, see if the breed would fit. see if that type of dog would suit you. and just wait until you're ready. Be honest with yourself... some breeds will not suit your lifestyle, no matter how much you love the breed. Know your limitations.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Thank you.
That last line, that is the bit I am most concerned about.
"ideally" I would love a boxer or gsd, but practically, when I move out it will be a small house, small car, small garden etc...

I am thinking (unfortunately) for now that a big dog like the two mentioned are too big to start with.
I do hope to own both later though!

Ideally I would like something medium size, something that would bark when the door goes (but not an excessive barker ), something that would "put strangers off" but not aggressive. My brother said "anything that was loud" would put him off breaking into a house, no matter the size (not that he is planning on doing... was just asking him ) - but said if it made a lot of noise it wouldn't matter the size of the dog and my brother is 6"2

Something as feisty as a JRT (not the broken half JRT I have atm ), but more cocker spaniel/beagle size would be ideal for me I reckon. Actually I quite like the irish terrier now you have mentioned it
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Check out the Welsh Terrier too, a bit smaller then the IT, and a little easier to handle
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2011, 11:52 AM
Thanks

I also do love the working cockers, but I am assuming their work drive can be extreme?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2011, 12:11 PM
im in the process of looking for another dog, one who will be bigger and live with me when im not at home.

your list will change mine has changed god knows how many times

ive definately made the decision that its going to be a medium/large dog and have looked at the breeds i like.

there are many i like id love to in the future own a bulldog, and a great dane. but these wont be my next dog.

i want a dog i can work with next, so ive been looking at the gundogs, but have also leaned towards the malamute and husky.

my gundog is the flatcoat retriever and i honestly think this will be my next dog. after working with 6 of them near enough every day for a year, they have wormed their way into my heart, and i know what im letting myself in for, the good and the bad. they werent even a breed id truly pick by looks alone, as to me they dont stand out, but now i know what are they are like i know that most probably this will be my next dog try and do some volunteering for a breeder, maybe walking their dogs with them, or for them etc, and see if you truly do like the breed, you definately know what you let yourself in for. for instance, i know flatcoats love mud, water and poo. they will eat poo, all kinds of poo, and then try and lick you after, because afterall they want to share everything with you they are very intelligent, sometimes too intelligent, but they are such comedians, and will make you laugh every day, they also will make you want to tear your hair out they are friendly with everyone, will lean on you to the point of nearly falling over for a cuddle, eat lots, and will eat more if you give them chance, there are health problems in the breed and some may not live past 7 but some could live until 16. after learning all this i would still own one

sorry for rambling, but you see what i mean? i think living with the breed a bit will help. oh and you could always look at flatcoats just remember the poo.....
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »