Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-03-2011, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
I'm waiting for a reply from the Hucknall & District Canine Society but I never got a reply from them 3 years ago so think I may have to be brave and use the phone (I have a phone aversion).

I think the kind of things I want to do Denise would be very difficult to train for in class, especially with the gundog stuff. Flynn got to the point where he was doing quite complicated retrieves at long distances (directionals, blinds, memories, over obstacles/water, to the sound of a shot etc). The HPRBA summer training is now advertised and since i'm a member i'm gonna go for that to keep the gundog training ticking over. Not sure how i'm going to get to Birmingham midweek when I work full time...!

With regards to WT stuff, there are deffo things I could do with practicing in class. Flynn's heelwork is atrocious. For any gundog tests he's done, HPR's and spaniels are allowed quite loose heelwork whereas the retrievers have to be alot better and so i've never bothered with much precision. A formal retrieve needs much work although I know we've done some of that already.

Perhaps some kind of nosework would be fun in class Denise?

Oooh, i've got lots of ideas now for Wednesday!
OK Leanne. Well we can do whatever you want as long as everyone else wants to. I thought we might start doing dogs to find car keys again. Usefull stuff. You fancy that?
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2011, 02:37 PM
Oh yes, of course there are other people in the class and I wouldnt take over by demanding we do what I want to do or doing things suggested by me all the time cos that would just be rude

One of the biggest things that fascinates me about dogs is their talent for using their nose so anything that involves a dog having to use it's hooter gets a thumbs up from me.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Hucknall have a WTS branch and an excellent trainer in that area for WT is Rod Roberts (although he does not suffer fools gladly)!

http://www.workingtrialsworld.co.uk/rod%20roberts.html
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2011, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Hucknall have a WTS branch and an excellent trainer in that area for WT is Rod Roberts (although he does not suffer fools gladly)!

http://www.workingtrialsworld.co.uk/rod%20roberts.html
It's funny you should mention Rod Roberts. I took the dogs out for one of our usual walks once and saw these people practicing with some equipment in the car park. I figured it was WT stuff so approached them and spoke to Rod himself...I understand what you mean when you say he doesnt suffer fools gladly. He struck me as a no nonsense kind of chap, the other folk seemed very welcoming.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2011, 02:52 PM
He is VERY VERY good and was instrumental I believe in helping me get a "ticket" with my Weim. He is actually a very good trainer if you can take his brand of humour.........

He has helped many people at the very highest level achieve tickets and/or make their dogs up.
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-03-2011, 03:00 PM
Oh yes, of course there are other people in the class and I wouldnt take over by demanding we do what I want to do or doing things suggested by me all the time cos that would just be rude

One of the biggest things that fascinates me about dogs is their talent for using their nose so anything that involves a dog having to use it's hooter gets a thumbs up from me.
Leanne, as I try to make clear, I am always greatful when people actually SAY what they want to do. Its even better when that thing is purposefull. I too love to watch nosework of any kind. Somehow, when a dog is searching for something using its nose, it is being a real dog. And that makes my heart sing. Herding, sniffing, chasing. I love to see them do all that stuff. THank you for your ideas.

We used to have a policedog handler amongst our trainers - but he fell in love and dissapeared - he taught use loads.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-03-2011, 06:37 PM
Well, got the gundog training sorted anyway but with a different source who do cater for pet dogs which will prepare us nicely for a working test in July

I really want to get into working trials but I think at the moment i've got too many ideas buzzing about in my head, especially since I have 2 other dogs and want to get back into agility also.

Aaah! Too many dreams and not enough dogs...
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Well, got the gundog training sorted anyway but with a different source who do cater for pet dogs which will prepare us nicely for a working test in July

I really want to get into working trials but I think at the moment i've got too many ideas buzzing about in my head, especially since I have 2 other dogs and want to get back into agility also.

Aaah! Too many dreams and not enough dogs...
Well there is a solution to that..... There are always more dogs.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2011, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by Lotsadogs View Post
Well there is a solution to that..... There are always more dogs.
Somehow it's apt that your username is "lotsadogs"...lol

And I agree! Now I want a dog to do treiball with!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2011, 07:30 PM
There is no way my parents would let me have a fourth dog!
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >