View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ravenwood
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Dobermann - please read my reply directly above yours..... do you have any ideas that would encourage responsible dog ownership in this country? (without shouting please!! )

And based on your arguments so far - it would have to be one that was cost free.

PS: Am I right in assuming you are a breeder?
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by Ravenwood View Post
OK - to summarise then .....

Most of you think that a license is cost prohibitive and therefore not viable.
cost prohibitive is one part, not practical is the other huge part
Also most of you think that a passport is cost prohibitive and reduces the profit of breeders (responsible ones or otherwise)
as I explained, not so much profit.......out of interest do you think people should only be able to buy a dog if they earn a certain amount a year or something? You seem to have only picked up on the cost parts...
So in that vein...... any legislation that was brought out to encourage responsible ownership is bound to carry a price.
We have legislation dont we? We dont have the 'man power' to enforce it!
Should we therefore forget about it then? Keep the status quo and moan about the current situation of an over population of dogs, overflowing rescue homes and idiot owners - what would you propose to change this?
I agree with claire&daisy's initial post
How would you implement it and how would you negate any costs?

Stop giving banker bonuses
ETA: Calm down Dobermann! Its only a discussion!
Sorry but when the country is in recession and we have people living in poverty, funding being cut all over the place and jobs dissapearing left right and centre with no industry left.....I do find the thought of having to pay for legislation which cannot be enforced and has previously been found to be unworkable a bit frustrating
janitor
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-02-2011, 10:02 PM
As i said in previous post, it is not stricktly a cost issue, it is against the law to not pick up dog mess, but i step in the stuff every day, dogs roaming loose see them every day. The problem is enforcement, the police have better things to do, until someone gets attacked, and the last time i saw the dog warden was 10 years ago, thats really going to make people clear upafter their dosg isn't it. The local council is now consulting on dog control orders, one of the things this is going to do according to them make people pick up dog mess, of course it won't, because they won't inforce it. And passports won't deter irresponsible breeders, because they just won't bother with them
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2011, 10:07 PM
So how would you implement this?
I have already said, compulsory Micro chipping and if a person is registered as they owner even if they say they have sold dog on then they are responsible for dog and its action.

Micro chip system would just need a tweek. Breeder details should also be kept on file and you would soon see who's pups are ending up in rescue.

System is already there it just would be used a bit differently.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Dobermann - please read my reply directly above yours..... do you have any ideas that would encourage responsible dog ownership in this country? (without shouting please!! )
Not having to rely on charities to prosecute for a start....but that wont happen as funding is being cut in childrens education, employability, basically everywhere, they certainly wont pay for 'man power' TBH there are enough people trying to think of ways and its not happening so I will focus on being a responsible owner my self. If more people would....I just disagree that licensing will somehow act as a magic wand - all the license will be is another tax which people already pay.

And based on your arguments so far - it would have to be one that was cost free.

PS: Am I right in assuming you are a breeder?
No, I'm not a breeder
As I said, take the bankers bonuses away and let people see where thier taxes are being spent before asking for more.....simply putting a tax on owning a dog won't make people more responsible.
Ravenwood
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Leadstaffs - I agree with this. All foals have to microchipped now and have a passport supporting this. Problems do arise though when animals are imported - very often their passport does not match the animal (its microchip) and unfortunately the traceability ends there!

Dobermann: to pick up on some of your questions - no I certainly do not think that someone needs to have a certain level of income to own a dog.

I can see you are wholeheartedly upset about the recession - aren't we all, it effects each and everyone of us (particularly fuel prices) but do you not think that the recession is leading to more dogs being rehomed?

Maybe if some system was in place at grass routes level this might be lessened?

I worked in the police force for 11 yrs - just before I left there was a drive to put a Wildlife Crime officer in each district. And although they obviously didn't prioritise pet dog problems - they did deal with sheep attacks etc so maybe with a bit of strong persuasion they could encompass pet animals too?

And to whoever said about self elected charity enforcing officers - I agree. Maybe this area should be looked at by the Government, but all the while the RSPCA are doing the job at no cost to them - I find it unlikely

Back to Dobermann - could you please list the current legislation that is in place but not being enforced?

From my own personal point of view I cannot think of any legislation whatsoever that would make me think for one second about buying another dog, breeding from dogs, walking them loose over the moors, taking them riding with me (obviously loose) along a public road/right of way etc.

If someone came to my house and one of my dogs bit them they wouldn't have any rights to sue me - only if my dog left the boundry of my own property and threatened another person or animal or caused an accident. Thats the only legislation I can think of. Other than byelaws about picking up dog mess or byelaws of prohibitive dog areas.

Oh - and the Dangerous Dog Act of course
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2011, 10:28 PM
If a dog is imported then the chip can be read and registered the same as other countries do when we export.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2011, 10:31 PM
ravenwood I have to go off line now but I will try to get on tomorrow and reply to you then
Ravenwood
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-02-2011, 10:34 PM
Problems arose (with horses) that when the chip was read it often didn't match the passport. Just having a chip number doesn't mean you could trace the horse as there isn't an international database.

Therefore any old horse could be imported over here and sold by dealers - this is a common practise.

My point is that if every dog were to be micro chipped there would have to be an international database for it to succeed. At present I think there are several in this country alone.

But, yes, I do agree that this would be a step forward if you could get the Government to enforce a one stop data base.
Ravenwood
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-02-2011, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
ravenwood I have to go off line now but I will try to get on tomorrow and reply to you then
Have a nice evening - I have enjoyed our debate
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >