View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 07:00 PM
The vets we used does a reversible anaestetic and we stay with the dog til there asleep then we grab a quick coffee in Asda next door and go back just as their giving them the reversal so we can be there when they wake up.
Next time we go I'm going to ask for the name never thought of it before.
So glad Henry's ok hun xxxx
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
The vets we used does a reversible anaestetic and we stay with the dog til there asleep then we grab a quick coffee in Asda next door and go back just as their giving them the reversal so we can be there when they wake up.
Next time we go I'm going to ask for the name never thought of it before.
So glad Henry's ok hun xxxx
the reversible part is medetomidine
footsieG
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-02-2011, 07:09 PM
So glad Henry is OK after his ordeal, bigs hugs and lots of love from us here. Gayle. Xxxx
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Thanks (for the explanation) doesn't sound like something I'd want done to our dogs. We never intended to breed anyway and over here I don't think they do 'hip scorig' anyway

Well I would have said the opposite also (ie sedative safer than a GA) but you learn something everyday. No need for ours to be 'hip scored' even if it could be done here which I'm pretty sure it can't.
Hip Scoring is done all over the world & is a prequisite IMHO before breeding any dog(except the racing greyhound)
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 07:29 PM
So glad Henry is ok xxxxxxxx I wonder what methods they use in other Countries what it comes to hip scoring? Aren't there some Countries were dogs are not put under at all?
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2011, 03:59 AM
Over here, we do the proper OFA or PennHip films under sedation, as Layla stated, its easier to manipulate the joints properly with the dog fully relaxed, and more comfortable for the dog.

We do not, however, routinely sedate or use a GA for radiographs. We wear protective equipment and restrain the pet for the films. If the pet is in pain, we will administered a strong narcotic but otherwise its just safer to do it with them awake. It takes a matter of a few minutes. Seems silly to put them under for that

I'm glad Henry is okay Sheree. I can't imagine what that call must have felt like for you. .
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2011, 06:55 AM
Good call, Sheree........ one I would have made as well.

I'm sure Henry will be fine once the effects wear off.

Hugs hon xxx
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2011, 09:12 AM
Thank you so much everyone...I didn't get back online later yesterday as I was so worried about my little man that I just spent the evening and all night watching over him.

He went for a couple of walks and everything was ok in that department, he had a terrible loose tummy when he did go, but better out than in, he had a waggy tail and was ravenous, but was so subdued it worried the life out of me. Anyway, at 6 this morning he ambushed me, big sloppy kisses and bouncing around, I took him out and although he was slightly loose he seems much like himself, he is still ravenous though and has had two breakfasts before he settled down.

I feel really guilty, I just wish there was another way they could hip score as I really am one for health testing, regardless of the breeding aspect, I like to know that my dog is A1 and if not, take precautions in need.

Anyway, thanks again, I appreciate all your support, you guys never let me down xx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-02-2011, 09:40 AM
So please Henry is back to his bouncy self. Maybe the drugs etc., have given him a loose tummy.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2011, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
So please Henry is back to his bouncy self. Maybe the drugs etc., have given him a loose tummy.
Thanks Lynn Yes I suspect they did, or maybe it scared him as much as it did me, he probably wondered why he felt so rough x
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >