View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2011, 11:23 AM
I paid £120 for Casper. The rescue probably "made money" on him - he was already neutered and vacc'ed as he came to them through Battersea Dogs Home (they struggle to rehome GSDs so often ask this rescue to help out) but I know they rely on commercial kennels for a lot of their dogs, so I know my money would've gone towards that. I also know that several of the volunteers who regularly go to the kennels don't live that nearby, so my money goes towards their petrol costs. And aside from that, even if I knew a single penny of it wasn't actually spent on Casper, I know my money goes towards ensuring they can continue to take in other GSDs and not have to turn them away due to funding issues. Casper may not have cost them much but the next dog might cost them hundreds, if not thousands - and they certainly can't charge someone a £1000 adoption fee. I know they recently took in a GSD who needed operations on both his elbows due to elbow dysplasia, and the ops haven't worked as well as hoped so he'll need further ops, funded by the rescue. If they only charged what each dog actually cost them then I expect this dog would've just been put to sleep because who would want to pay £4000 for a dog that they can't get full insurance on because it has a pre-existing condition? At least if they have the funds to treat the dog, it stands a higher chance of someone wanting to take it on and fund costs later in life, but I would certainly think twice about adopting a dog that would cost me £4000 straight up. So my £120 may or may not have helped Casper directly but it's helped dozens of other GSDs and I'm happy with that.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 01:25 PM
I wouldnt pay more then around £100 for a rescue dog I would be suspicious if anyone was asking for more then £155 for a rescue dog from a re homing centre though I frequantly see private re homing sales for this much though its usually for a young pedigree dog.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
Dawn we squeeze every penny we can out of our vets,and regularly negotiate deals, we're not a new rescue have been at it 30 years, but then again I forgot Dawn knows everything
Stop being so dam pig headed, GO OUT and do your homework instead of coming on here whinging about it!

If you have been at it that long you should have by now made arrangements to get better help than you are obviously getting, thats tough on your part not mine. Less of the "knows everything" start knowing a little more yourself and get yourself better help!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 01:41 PM
Phoned two Vets in this area, both who do cheaper spaying and neutering. Pointed out as asked!

Springer-Lab spay £75.00
Springer-Lab castrate £60.00

Springer-Lab spay £70-£75.00
Springer-Lab castrate £63.00

Seems like some people just like complaining about things!!!!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 01:49 PM
I don't think it always helps to shop for cheaper prices and I can understand a rescue wanting to use a reliable vet even if it costs slightly more. I did it once for a spay (parents had just split up so money was a big issue) and really wish I'd waited a bit longer to go to my regular vet as I wasn't happy at all - the vet's attitude was appalling (he had me, as a 16 year old, 5'3 8 stone girl, restrain a 34kg GSD as he removed the stitches - is that not what vet nurses are paid for?!), the aftercare was very lacking, he wasn't very understanding with the dog's seperation anxiety (whereas my current vets were very good when it came to leaving this dog with them for x-rays), etc. and I really feel bad for putting my dog through that. We heard a few weeks later that a family friend used the same vet and almost lost their dog mid-operation as she reacted badly to the anaesthetic, know that's not the vet's fault but it made me question how on the ball they were.
Rescues often deal with animals that haven't received great care and I wouldn't want to risk my health animals at a less-than-great vet, let alone one that hadn't had the best start for the sake of saving a bit of money.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I don't think it always helps to shop for cheaper prices and I can understand a rescue wanting to use a reliable vet even if it costs slightly more. I did it once for a spay (parents had just split up so money was a big issue) and really wish I'd waited a bit longer to go to my regular vet as I wasn't happy at all - the vet's attitude was appalling (he had me, as a 16 year old, 5'3 8 stone girl, restrain a 34kg GSD as he removed the stitches - is that not what vet nurses are paid for?!), the aftercare was very lacking, he wasn't very understanding with the dog's seperation anxiety (whereas my current vets were very good when it came to leaving this dog with them for x-rays), etc. and I really feel bad for putting my dog through that. We heard a few weeks later that a family friend used the same vet and almost lost their dog mid-operation as she reacted badly to the anaesthetic, know that's not the vet's fault but it made me question how on the ball they were.
Rescues often deal with animals that haven't received great care and I wouldn't want to risk my health animals at a less-than-great vet, let alone one that hadn't had the best start for the sake of saving a bit of money.
Practices that only do spay and neuter, or those who do reasonable spay/neuter prices are not few and far between. Its up to the individuals to check on those places, here, they are part of larger group practices, with just one or two of them offering the spay/neuter at a cheaper rate. The treatment and equipment is exactly the same. What they do is see normal problems too, but refer clients to their other practices for more in depth treatment or diagnostics.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Stop being so dam pig headed, GO OUT and do your homework instead of coming on here whinging about it!

If you have been at it that long you should have by now made arrangements to get better help than you are obviously getting, thats tough on your part not mine. Less of the "knows everything" start knowing a little more yourself and get yourself better help!
Took your time didn't you, as it happens you do come across as You THINK you know everything, like it or lump it, and that we're all not worthy and don't know what we're talking about, did you check that the fee quoted included going back for stitches out etc and after care, what we tend to find with the cheap ones is they wack another 20 quid on for a follow up consultation, we are constantly trying to find cheaper vets and as i said before our average price is around about £100 in fact we have transported them up from the midlands because they just want too much money for routine medical care, so now you've found one give me the names and i'll contact the foster homes down there, or i'll tell you what i'll transport them down to you, they can stay at your kennels and you can take them to these vets you've found, mind forgot they're all poor deformed working springers with bowed front legs that are all going to get Artheritis in their old age so whats the point, cos they're not worth spending any money on, and just finally are you ever wrong Dawn??
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 02:53 PM
She was wrong about luxating patella.

Totally agree with your entire post. Well done on not being bullied and writing it.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
I wouldnt pay more then around £100 for a rescue dog I would be suspicious if anyone was asking for more then £155 for a rescue dog from a re homing centre though I frequantly see private re homing sales for this much though its usually for a young pedigree dog.
How do you think they pay their staff, feed the dogs. pay the vets bills for general or more specific conditions?

Not to mention general running expenses and keeping the premises maintained.

rune
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
She was wrong about luxating patella.

Totally agree with your entire post. Well done on not being bullied and writing it.

rune
Lynn i don't do bullying especially from people who think they know everything, i've sat back for too long and seen Dawn and her cronies do it to other people, and they won't do it to me, i'm fed up with the whole rescues are any less worthy than a dog from a reputable breeder, i'm passionate about what i do for springer rescue, and i know what that involves, i'm very cheeky when it comes to getting things to help them and will beg steal and borrow if necessary, to insinuate that i sit on here all day winging is just utter C**p but if it makes her feel better let her go for it, i see the vets bills on a monthly basis,and know what it costs, i know we have got the best deals out of all the vets that we use in all the areas we have foster homes in.

People will quiet happily pay £300 - £400 pound on a well bred pup that even if its from health tested parents there are no gurantees that its temperament will be sound and it will be healthy, but won't pay £150 for a neutered, vacced, microchipped, thoroughly assesed dog, theres something wrong somewhere
Page 4 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »