Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by KateM View Post
Ok, German Spitz Mittel... description is ok, but doesn't actually tell you much apart from the size.

"Interestingly, there are no restrictions on colour" - whilst this is true, you can't now register any colour you like (Hope is actually Black & Tan with white (ie tri colour) but has had to be registered as Black & Tan as they wouldn't accept the & white, or tri).

It skirts over the fact that they are blummin noisy little critters if you don't train them from the get go.

Stats appear to be ok, but not sure i'd class a breed that starts at 12 inches as medium, to me they are small (well, except Ivan - but then he tops out at 18 inches these days)

ok, moving on to Vallhund

Don't agree with the fairly long in back - vallhunds are not corgi's there is a strict height to length ratio (2:3) which does not make for a long back. Definately right about the lots of power in a small frame - should really mention that for their size they are quite hefty (dogs up to about 16kg at only 13 (and a bit) inches at the shoulder is a lot of dog)

I would be more inclined to say they were medium dogs, simply because of the weight behind them - certainly they aren't built to be lap dogs (don't tell them)

Stats appear ok, save for age - over 10 years is a little misleading - average lifespan at the last survey I saw the results for (breed club) was 13

Ok, the vulnerable breed thing is confusing me - what classes as a vulnerable breed? Are they just meaning the native uk breeds with low registration?

For comparision - vallhund registrations rarely top 30 per year in the UK, only about 80 - 100 a year in Sweden, the SKV (Swedish KC) was actually talking some years ago about applying to the EU for protected status for the breed.
i think vunerable means there arent alot of them about, or litters being registered maybe? our vallhund lived till 18
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Dobermann

German tax collector, Louis Dobermann, is credited with developing this breed in the late 1860s. He needed a dog that would both protect him and ‘encourage’ slow payers, and decided his dog should be a larger version of the Pinscher. He quickly fixed breed type, using the old-style German Shepherd and the Pinscher to obtain a mix of brain, soundness, toughness of character and quick terrier-like reaction. Other breeds, such as the Weimaraner, Rottweiler, Greyhound and Manchester Terrier, helped refine his scenting powers, strength, speed and coat.

This elegant, intelligent dog has since made his mark in the canine popularity polls throughout the world. Extremely alert, with a clean outline encompassing strength and agility, he is a skilful tracker and is often used for police work. His gleaming, short, hard coat is easily cared for. Usually black and tan, he can also be brown, blue or fawn with rust-red markings.

The Dobermann has a very adaptable outlook to life and fits into a family well, playing with and guarding children. He enjoys riding in a car, and will take over the most comfortable chair in the house without even a second thought. He makes an excellent obedience dog, and the breed is numerically strong in the show ring.

Breed Group
Working
Vulnerable Breed
No
Size
Large
How much exercise?
2 hours a day or more
Length of coat
Short
How much grooming?
Once a week
Supposedly sheds?*
Yes
Town or Country
Either
Type of home
Large House
Minimum Garden Size
Large
Lifespan
Over 10 Years

Sounds pretty accurate to me although size of house and garden to me is pretty irrelevant as a Dobermann is happy wherever his human is and would be happy in a dinky house with a dinky garden. Life span is questionable too in my opinion.
Luckypirate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Retriever (Labrador)

The Labrador is one of the best all-round dogs in the world. Not only used for retrieving game, he has also made his mark in the world of assistance dogs and as a ‘sniffer’ dog for drug and arms detection. It is popularly thought that he originated on the coast of Greenland, where fishermen were seen to use a dog of similar appearance to retrieve fish.
An excellent water dog, his weather-resistant coat and unique tail, likened to that of an otter because of its shape, emphasise this trait. A real gentleman, he adores children and has a kind and loving nature and a confident air. The big city is not really his scene; a bit of a country squire at heart, he comes into his own in rural surroundings.
Comparatively speaking, the Labrador is not a very old breed: its breed club was formed in 1916 and the Yellow Labrador Club founded in 1925. It was in field trialling that the Labrador found early fame, having been originally introduced to Great Britain in the late 1800s by Col Peter Hawker and the Earl of Malmesbury. It was a dog called Malmesbury Tramp that was described by Lorna, Countess Howe, as one of the ‘tap roots’ of the modern Labrador.

Breed Group Gundog
Vulnerable Breed No
Size Large
How much exercise? 2 hours a day or more
Length of coat Short
How much grooming? Once a week
Supposedly sheds?* Yes
Town or Country Either
Type of home Large House
Minimum Garden Size Large
Lifespan Over 10 Years

Well, I heard that labs originated in Portugal, but I think no one actually really knows so fair enough.
Most of the rest in the description is accurate except my boy is NOT a gentleman!

I also contest that they need over 2 hours a day of exercise. Aged about 2-4 this probably was the case with Jet, but he's since settled a lot and, although he probably does get around 2 hours a day, he's happy with less.

We also do not have a large house or garden, it's pretty small, but as the only dog and with plenty of exercise, it's never even remotely been a problem.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 06:39 PM
Border Collie:
This highly intelligent dog has an inborn instinct to work, and responds readily and eagerly to training. He was originally used for working sheep in the hills and mountains, mainly in the border counties of England, Scotland and Wales, but his prowess as a working sheepdog has now spread countrywide throughout Britain and even farther afield. It was only in the latter quarter of the twentieth century that the Border Collie assumed an important role in the show rings of Britain.
He is graceful, but with sufficient substance to withstand the elements. A silent worker, he responds to any signal, audible or visual. His disposition is kindly as he is loyal and faithful by nature. Capable of thinking for himself, he is often used in mountain rescue work, makes an excellent tracker and is also used as a sniffer dog.
He needs a lot of exercise, thrives on company and will participate in any activity. He is dedicated to serving man, but is the type of dog who needs to work to be happy and is not content to sit at home by the hearth all day. Before becoming a full champion he must have a work qualification.

Breed Group - Pastoral
Vulnerable Breed - No
Size - Medium
How much exercise? - 2 hours a day or more
Length of coat - Medium
How much grooming? - More than once a week
Supposedly sheds?* - Yes
Town or Country - Country
Type of home - Small or Large House
Minimum Garden Size - Large
Lifespan - Over 10 Years

Think I should go and show this to Jed since somebody obviously left him out of the loop!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 06:55 PM
I don't have a dog that the KC recognise And I can't make up a mutt KC information thing because all the dogs are different - Hahaa..
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I don't have a dog that the KC recognise And I can't make up a mutt KC information thing because all the dogs are different - Hahaa..
well if you know what they are crossed with, compare them to the two breeds, then see which they are the most similar to
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2011, 07:36 PM
Ah..I can do Sadie and Louie - Benjie is a mystery.

So here goes..

Border Collie

This highly intelligent dog has an inborn instinct to work, and responds readily and eagerly to training. He was originally used for working sheep in the hills and mountains, mainly in the border counties of England, Scotland and Wales, but his prowess as a working sheepdog has now spread countrywide throughout Britain and even farther afield. It was only in the latter quarter of the twentieth century that the Border Collie assumed an important role in the show rings of Britain.
He is graceful, but with sufficient substance to withstand the elements. A silent worker, he responds to any signal, audible or visual. His disposition is kindly as he is loyal and faithful by nature. Capable of thinking for himself, he is often used in mountain rescue work, makes an excellent tracker and is also used as a sniffer dog.
He needs a lot of exercise, thrives on company and will participate in any activity. He is dedicated to serving man, but is the type of dog who needs to work to be happy and is not content to sit at home by the hearth all day. Before becoming a full champion he must have a work qualification.

Breed Group Pastoral
Vulnerable Breed No
Size Medium
Length of coat Medium
How much grooming? More than once a week
Supposedly sheds?* Yes
Town or Country Country
Type of home Small or Large House
Lifespan Over 10 Years

Cross

(I've had to do the Parsons - which by meeting a Parson the other day I reckon she is more in with them than a JRT)

Parson Russell Terrier

For many years, great controversy has existed in the ranks of the terrier fanciers over a type of terrier called ‘the Jack Russell’. The Kennel Club became involved in this affair as a result of applications from a considerable number of devotees of the strain of Fox Terrier bred by a Victorian hunting parson, the Reverend John Russell.
He is a working Terrier and should retain the ability to be spanned behind the shoulders by average sized hands. He can be smooth or rough-coated; in either jacket he is a happy, lively animal, equally at home while working or playing with his owners.
‘The Parson’ is not truly suited to a town life unless given a fair degree of freedom and exercise. He is too intelligent to be left on his own for long periods; he will get bored and could easily become destructive as well as aggravating the neighbours with uncontrolled barking.
Breed Group Terrier
Vulnerable Breed No
Size Medium
How much exercise? About 1 hour per day
Length of coat Short How much grooming? Once a week
Supposedly sheds?* Yes Town or Country Either
Type of home Small or Large House Minimum Garden Size Small/Medium
Lifespan Over 12 Years

Sadie cannot herd (slipped collar - just stood and barked at cows ) and she isn't a good ratter as she loved my hamsters... she is however easy to train and quick to learn. And has the terrier tenacity.

Louie

Retriever (Labrador)

The Labrador is one of the best all-round dogs in the world. Not only used for retrieving game, he has also made his mark in the world of assistance dogs and as a ‘sniffer’ dog for drug and arms detection. It is popularly thought that he originated on the coast of Greenland, where fishermen were seen to use a dog of similar appearance to retrieve fish.
An excellent water dog, his weather-resistant coat and unique tail, likened to that of an otter because of its shape, emphasise this trait. A real gentleman, he adores children and has a kind and loving nature and a confident air. The big city is not really his scene; a bit of a country squire at heart, he comes into his own in rural surroundings.
Comparatively speaking, the Labrador is not a very old breed: its breed club was formed in 1916 and the Yellow Labrador Club founded in 1925. It was in field trialling that the Labrador found early fame, having been originally introduced to Great Britain in the late 1800s by Col Peter Hawker and the Earl of Malmesbury. It was a dog called Malmesbury Tramp that was described by Lorna, Countess Howe, as one of the ‘tap roots’ of the modern Labrador.
Breed Group Gundog
Vulnerable Breed No
Size Large
Length of coat Short
How much grooming? Once a week
Supposedly sheds?* Yes
Town or Country Either
Type of home Large House
Lifespan Over 10 Years

Cross

Spaniel (English Springer)

The name ‘Springer’ is derived from the use of this type of Spaniel to startle the bird into the air so that they spring upwards. The English Springer, with his black-and-white or liver-and-white markings, is the traditional dog for the rough-shooter – a dog capable of working tirelessly all day; ready to enter water even when he has to break ice to do it.
Like so many of the gundog breeds, his cheerful extrovert nature has endeared him to the general public, and he is in great demand as an energetic companion for a growing family. His thick coat is tough and weather resistant, but like so many Spaniels, his lengthy ear flaps need to be kept well trimmed if he is not to suffer from uninvited seeds and twigs getting inside the more sensitive depths of the ears themselves.
Official breed status was accorded the English Springer in 1902. He took his present name in 1900 after being known for many years as the Norfolk Spaniel.
Breed Group Gundog
Vulnerable Breed No
Size Medium
Length of coat Medium
How much grooming? More than once a week
Supposedly sheds?* Yes
Town or Country Either
Type of home Small or Large House
Lifespan Over 10 Years

Has the daftness of both breeds if you ask me, looks Lab, works like a springer.

IMO the exercise is way off - both mine can do more than 2 hours - Sadie would go up to 6 hours if she was allowed.
The garden size shouldn't matter in any breed, nor the house size, as long as the dogs got exercise regularly.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4