Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Try Bulls Pizzles, they're the toughest chew I've ever come across.

I'm lucky with both of mine, neither of them destroy anything. Oscar loves to carry things around and will take clothing off the radiator and place it in a nice pile behind the front door when I go out, God knows why. Think I might be partly to blame mind you, he only started doing it after I taught him to fetch my laundry out of the washing machine cos I'm too lazy to go up and down the stairs!
Brilliant, will try and get some of these.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 12:02 AM
This thread has reminded me of the funniest episode of a dog 'chewing stuff up'.

Many years ago. I'd planted a long row of gladioli bulbs all along the back of the flower bed next to the fence. The dog (GSD) had never dug holes in my garden before.

I came down next morning to find a row of holes and, on the path, what looked like a load of chewed raw onions!

I was told I should have WORN GLOVES to keep the scent of me off the bulbs!
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Blimey -- dogs on par with Bo's destructiveness! right down to the eating raw potatoes.

Bo has shredded several of my coats (including my £80 waterproof one) and jeans because they had treats in the pockets. Lesson learned.
I have learned the same lesson!

Honestly,i dont think your dog has ANYTHING on Oliver! This week alone, he ate another (3rd) Debit Card, a pair of jeans, numerous underwear (clean, outta the laundry basket), Umpteen socks, every stuffed toy they have has been de stuffed, several pop bottles and the worst... he got into my tub of fish stuff, ate all the fish food, then ate their containers, as well as the nets, the plastic bottles that hold the chemicles and every thing else that is in that tub... then the tub itself, he got Mouse's leash again, got some more pop bottles (this time OFF THE KITCHEN TABLE WHICH HE'S NEVER DONE BEFORE!!!!) and the chord fot my computer...

Oliver is 2 years old, well, almost 2.5... but he's been cooped up due to sever cold weather, so I forgive him the transgressions, and bought him some new hard plastic (as he seems to really like hard plastic!) toys. In Ollie's case it is not enough exercise to get rid of his extra energy. I was tempted to crate him again... but that would just be worse!
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
This thread has reminded me of the funniest episode of a dog 'chewing stuff up'.

Many years ago. I'd planted a long row of gladioli bulbs all along the back of the flower bed next to the fence. The dog (GSD) had never dug holes in my garden before.

I came down next morning to find a row of holes and, on the path, what looked like a load of chewed raw onions!

My child hood dog did that! She ate the Glad bulbs, AND chewed off the flowering plum tree we'd planted the spring before... my Mom was NOT. HAPPY. I wonder if it's something about Glads?
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 10:46 AM
I still crate Rupert at 7 years old because of how destructive he is. He chewed my stairs, my doors, my windowsills, my clothes, my books, my flatmates slippers, my parents garden fence, a couple of chairs, a sofa and anything else he could get his teeth on. With tons of redirection, constantly having toys out for him and purposely giving him things to shred (empty food boxes mostly, bones and chews don't satisfy his apparent need to tear something into pieces so tiny you have to hoover them up) he isn't so bad now but left to his own devices I still don't trust him.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post

Same thing happened to me. I planted a row of onion sets, went indoors and washing my hands at the sink and idly looking out into the garden watched my GSD carefully work her way along the row, yanking them out, giving them a sniff and chucking them aside.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 12:40 PM
I honestly don't know how people cope with dogs who destroy personal/expensive things for no good reason - I think I'd lose the plot!

Our Lab Woody was a terrible thief when it came to food - joints of meat, a whole bag of raw potatoes, a tube of Pringles etc etc, but at least they could be replaced easily!
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I honestly don't know how people cope with dogs who destroy personal/expensive things for no good reason - I think I'd lose the plot!
A crate has saved my sanity. Rupe goes into the crate when I go out and my house is safe. Not sure what I'd do if I were working full time though as I don't really think it's fair to crate for 8 or more hours a day.

To be honest though, giving him empty boxes to shred has really helped with the destruction. At least now I can trust him to have the run of the house when I'm home.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 02:02 PM
One of ours went though a stage of detroys anything she could. In that short period of time she did, we ended up muzzling her and partly crating her. Then one day she grew out of it!
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 02:11 PM
one word Fudge, everything has to be moved, although thankfully he hasn't chewed any furniture, but cushions, cigs (think he's trying to tell me something) a load of Zip that i used for making dog beds, cotton reels for my machines, and last weekend my mums shoes, and i did tell her to move everything before she went to bed, luckily she loves him, and has dogs of her own, speaking of which one of her old GSD chewed the stair carpet on ever step just the corners though, so she had a hole on every step
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >