View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2010, 07:24 AM
Okay, I will ring them after physio this morning.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2010, 12:22 AM
Bird Sanctuary today told me Im doing everything right and the birds should stay with me as prescribed in my stable to learn to fly.
Both are repsonding well and very happy. They said many birds survive to some extreme with defects and not to worry however he will develop slower.
They are now both in my stable safe warm and secure, I feel Ive done them proud as did the sanctuary.
Spug followed me around the stable and when I sat down he fluttered onto my shoulder, sang in my ear and when offered food he nested into my neck.
You cant buy that! Ive fallen in love and they will survive coz I'll make sure they do.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2010, 06:42 PM
After working at a wildlife hospital for some time, i find it hard and upsetting that a wildlife hospital/centre what ever you wish to call it, said that its possible to release a one eyed bird...

I dont see how you can make sure a wild animal will survive? How will you do that, their wild ... should not have human contact, and if a wild animal can no survive in the wild with out un natural help from a human then it should be in some sort of sanctuary!..
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Annestaff View Post
These were my babies.

We took the nesting box down and they stayed in that in the shed for a few days but then it got too hard to feed them so they moved to an ice cream tub

Then we made this out of our ryclebox and part of a bird cage I spotted being thrown out by someones bin

They were all flying by now but still not eating for themselves. This is when we took them to a wildlife centre to be released. It was such hard work and I really didn't want let them go round here for the cats to get them like they did with the parents

Luz the sanctuary will have release cages where your birds will be put with other birds until they learn how to feed themselves then they will let them go into a safe area where they will have the best chance. They will be with other orphaned chicks and they will know when the time is right to let them go, it would be awful if they were released too early after all your efforts and they didn't make it.

You wouldn't be letting them down Luz you'd be doing the right thing by letting the experts take over
I loved these birds, I know I never met them but still xxxxx

Originally Posted by Luz View Post

cotton eyed joe ( no eye)
I would say they are baby black birds Laura.

Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
After working at a wildlife hospital for some time, i find it hard and upsetting that a wildlife hospital/centre what ever you wish to call it, said that its possible to release a one eyed bird...

I dont see how you can make sure a wild animal will survive? How will you do that, their wild ... should not have human contact, and if a wild animal can no survive in the wild with out un natural help from a human then it should be in some sort of sanctuary!..
It doesn't sound good to me either Laura , ref the one with one eye. Surely s/he would be better in a big enclosure for life, rather than being sent out to die, sorry to be blunt but that is what will happen I urge you not to let the one eyed one go into the wild.
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-06-2010, 06:59 PM
I loved these birds, I know I never met them but still xxxxx
It was this time last year they were released, I often think about them and wonder when our tree is full of blue tits if any of them were my orphans and they've come back to see me......... doubt it as they were released about 40 miles away but still
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2010, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by Annestaff View Post
It was this time last year they were released, I often think about them and wonder when our tree is full of blue tits if any of them were my orphans and they've come back to see me......... doubt it as they were released about 40 miles away but still
Awww xxxxxxxx You never know xxxxxxxxxx
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2010, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
After working at a wildlife hospital for some time, i find it hard and upsetting that a wildlife hospital/centre what ever you wish to call it, said that its possible to release a one eyed bird... I dont see how you can make sure a wild animal will survive? How will you do that, their wild ... should not have human contact, and if a wild animal can no survive in the wild with out un natural help from a human then it should be in some sort of sanctuary!..
I agree with it all apart from the one eyed one having a disadvantage with food and resources he would be at a higher risk from predators. Apart from that they have so much to learn just to survive, including the two eyed one, to stand the best chance they need to learn a whole host of skills.

What sanctuary did you ring?
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4