Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Yes I have, and Orey said he'd like to see them too!
Orey can whistle
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2010, 08:39 PM
Agoutis are rats for the connoisseur.
Most people, understandably, are first drawn towards the pretty colours, patterns and markings.... but once you've loved rats, you appreciate that an Agouti is still all rat and all pet rat, too. Rather like those who are drawn towards wolfy looking dogs, Agoutis are a call to nature.

Now Random.... how up are you with your clicker-training? Agouti rats are always in demand for film & TV work once well trained
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2010, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Yes I have, and Orey said he'd like to see them too!

I think thats why they arent tame, they fobbed you off with some wild ones caught in the garden!

Just kidding.
Oi you, stop picking on my wild boys, anyway, if I can tame Maddy I can tame a pair of rats out the garden.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2010, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Agoutis are rats for the connoisseur.
Most people, understandably, are first drawn towards the pretty colours, patterns and markings.... but once you've loved rats, you appreciate that an Agouti is still all rat and all pet rat, too. Rather like those who are drawn towards wolfy looking dogs, Agoutis are a call to nature.

Now Random.... how up are you with your clicker-training? Agouti rats are always in demand for film & TV work once well trained
Well I think they are very distinguished little boys. Oooer, best get the clicker out then!

Both much bolder today and enjoying their new toys. Very inquisitive, the fatter of the two seems the more timid so far, but time will tell.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

16-02-2010, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Wild rats are Rattus norvegicus, the Norway (or Brown) rat. [There is also the Black rat Rattus rattus, which carried the plague, but that is virtually extinct in this country now.]

Pet (fancy) rats are the domesticated version of Rattus norvegicus, so no real difference except over 100 years of domestication & breeding for tameness. It is possible for pet rats to get Weil's disease, but only if they have been in contact with wild rats carrying it.

I'm also a member of the National Fancy Rat Society and first joined in 1982... one-time committee member too.
Thanks for that MM so there's two 'experts' on here and you are around more than Zounds these days.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4