Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
This is quite an immotive subject I know but why do people with very young pups let them off lead??

Puppies have the attenton span of a millisecond and it only takes the slightest hint of something interesting for them to go off and investigate so why allow them to?? Put them on a long line to give them some freedom but don't let them off!

The other day we were coming back from our walk so both dogs were on leads. All of a sudden this tiny little BC pup comes hurtling towards us, I didn't even have time to warn the owner that my dog isn't safe, I was terrified BUT thankfully my big boy decided this pup wasn't a threat so didn't attack him. The lady finally caught up with us and tried to catch her puppy, it barely knew its name let alone how to recall!!So it begs the question why on earth was it off lead!!!!!!

There has been a topic on this forum about a puppy that sadly died after approaching another dog and whilst my heart goes out to her I cannot for the life of me work out not only why her pup was off lead but why it was allowed to meet a strange dog??

Until a puppy can recall it should never be put in to a situation where it could get harmed. We all know how friendly and excitable young puppies are so why put them in that position?? Not only meeting other dogs but just the fact that they could easily run off and get lost or run onto a road.

Had my ON LEAD dog attacked and killed the puppy that ran up to him would I be to blame and have to have my dog pts??

If your puppy can't be controlled or recalled don't let it off the lead and then maybe these awful tragedies can be prevented??
i think the bold statement from your OP is where it infers that your dog is agressive.

a point on long lines..........if used in a training situation they can work, used for everyday walking can destroy any heel work/walking on a loose lead that you teach. they are also dangerous on pavements.
you cant control a dog when its ahead of you with one of these devices, the dog will either pull you over or strangle itself.
just a word of caution.
stanfan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2009, 03:44 PM
We have an extendable lead which we have short on pavements and let him run the length of it on the beach or open space. This is when we have been practsing recall, we just haven't had the balls to let him off yet lol. I was going to do it this aft but as I was heading out Stan shot infront of me and I stood on his leg!! Thought I'd broken it so after quick scoot to vets he's fine, just taken chunk of hair off his leg. Gave me a heart attack!!!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
I walk a dog aggresive dog which I muzzle and keep leashed (harness and trailing line). I do this to protect other dogs whose owners' have insufficient control or lack awareness. When I encounter such owners their dogs are safe but my dog will have practiced an undesirable behaviour and his rehabilitation inhibited.

Consideration cuts both ways. Don't allow your dog to approach on-lead dogs without agreement. Train a solid recall or keep your dog on-lead.
This says it all for me! Sadly though, oh for that perfect world huh?!

Plus another superb post by Jackbox there, she says it all too!

Funny how we have strict rules for driving on the roads in our leathal weapons, and yet out in the fields with our four legged (sometimes ) lethal weapons too, it's a free for all, there are no rules! Very strange that!

My friend has a 1 yr. old flatcoat who has just suffered a horrendous time being crated for almost 4 months, a massive operation on his hip having been assaulted by another dog, and there she was walking him out for the very first time the other day ONLEAD, on a public bridleway, over comes this muzzled weim attacks her dog, knocks it over, knocks my friend over in the process, and the guy just walks on past ignoring it all When she picked herself up she yelled at this bloke to tell him her dog had just had an operation and his reply was "not my problem"!!!!!! The police are involved though, we just gotta find this muppet!!!
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I think you question was, "why do people allow young puppies off lead"

And the answers have been directed towards that.

Personally the sooner you allow a puppy of lead the better (within a window) you have, to teach recall.

Very young puppies are insecure this is the ideal time to teach recall, as they grow and break the apron strings, this is the time recall may become a problem, so if you have left off lead recall till them, you are making life so much harder for yourself.

BTW.. I do agree with the highlighted, you have to be careful what dogs are around when you are training, always best to do it with dogs you know in a safe place.

Yes , the sooner you start the better, believe me, a teenage Boxer that has no recall is not going to be fun.

Attach a long training lead to his collar (to give you moral support) dont let him get any further away then the length of the lead.... this way you can put your foot on it.

But you have a window now, use it , he is still very much in the apron strings attached mode, dont wait til he breaks them
Yes I can see that I should have been more specific about letting them off lead! I didn't mean never let them off! I agree the sooner the better BUT in the right situation and never near strange dogs.

Originally Posted by hectorsmum View Post
i think the bold statement from your OP is where it infers that your dog is agressive.

a point on long lines..........if used in a training situation they can work, used for everyday walking can destroy any heel work/walking on a loose lead that you teach. they are also dangerous on pavements.
you cant control a dog when its ahead of you with one of these devices, the dog will either pull you over or strangle itself.
just a word of caution.
Again I can see how the bold bit could be misconstrued!! What I meant was as a dominant dog he might react badly to the puppy and didn't have time to warn her.

I would never use a long line for walking a dog. I mean they should be used in a field or area where you want to give your pup a sense of freedom whilst you work on the recall.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 03:49 PM

you cant control a dog when its ahead of you with one of these devices, the dog will either pull you over or strangle itself.just a word of caution.
Totally agree with that having two big dogs, the further away from me they are, it's very difficult to hold them both in a nightmare situation (I know that to my cost when we met an Afghan for the 1st time which was bigger than Georgie!!! ) So, the bigger the dog, the nearer it has to be to your side to gain control, so the longline is out with an aggressive dog I would have thought!
Fluffypup
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-11-2009, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
Whilst I appreciate (and, believe me, I really do) that other owners should control their dogs and not allow them to approach other on-lead dogs without agreement if your dog is not safe then it should be muzzled, if only to protect other dogs from their own numpty owner's lack of care.
Totally agree.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 04:13 PM
Long lines are easier said than done. They are alright if you have a breed that is happy to amble on close to you. On the other hand they are not at all practical if you have an active dog that loves to run through undergrowth...terriers, Spaniels, Pointers, etc.

Besides, I don't see why friendly pups should have to be restricted at all times just in case they happen to come across a dog aggressive dog.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 04:15 PM
Fudge was offlead from as sooon as allowed and she has superb recall. Even now if she comes to a split in the path she returns automatically to make sure we are together.I was nervous the first time but did it when Phil was around with his dogs and she just poddled along after them......We used her walks to train her recall and this is something that continues every time we walk.It is a game for her and part of the walk.
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Long lines are easier said than done. They are alright if you have a breed that is happy to amble on close to you. On the other hand they are not at all practical if you have an active dog that loves to run through undergrowth...terriers, Spaniels, Pointers, etc.

Besides, I don't see why friendly pups should have to be restricted at all times just in case they happen to come across a dog aggressive dog.
So you wouldn't be angry if your friendly pup ran up to a strange dog and it got attacked then?

I am talking about using long lines on small pups, weeks old, whilst they develop a good recall.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-11-2009, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by stanfan View Post
We have an extendable lead which we have short on pavements and let him run the length of it on the beach or open space. This is when we have been practsing recall, we just haven't had the balls to let him off yet lol. I was going to do it this aft but as I was heading out Stan shot infront of me and I stood on his leg!! Thought I'd broken it so after quick scoot to vets he's fine, just taken chunk of hair off his leg. Gave me a heart attack!!!!

Firstly get rid of the flexi for road walking, you will not teach a good recall with one, even when it is retracted.

The flexi is no good for teaching recall on the beach... go to a saddlery or on line and buy a long lunge line... with this you can allow it to trail along behind Stan... so in effect he is off lead, but you still have something to grab, step on when you need to,,,,,,jus take lots of treats/toys with you and keep calling him back to you, play games, run the other way get him to chase.

Also if you have a friend with a friendly dog with good recall , ask them to help, Stan will follow the dog, and if make calling him back easier.

just a word of caution

Yep, agree , it goes without saying, never use on the road, and only in open safe places..

OH AND A GOOD PAIR OF GLOVES........IS A MUST
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »