View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2009, 10:47 AM
I love Canada, and I have more relatives there than here, we had it all sorted ie the cost of flying the dogs out we even knew where we were goingto live (Mississauga) and because we wanted to retire there, we had enough money to buy a house out right and live off our savings but we are not allowed to, only way round it was to buy a company and employ 5 adults so its yearly trips for me to see my rellies
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2009, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by Rookgeordiegirl View Post
I love Canada, and I have more relatives there than here, we had it all sorted ie the cost of flying the dogs out we even knew where we were goingto live (Mississauga) and because we wanted to retire there, we had enough money to buy a house out right and live off our savings but we are not allowed to, only way round it was to buy a company and employ 5 adults so its yearly trips for me to see my rellies
Why were you refused? Such a shame!
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2009, 12:14 PM
Because we wanted to retire and therefore wernt offeringany skills, even though my husband was prepared to work p/time he is a research chemistand also qualified to teach chemistry to A-level they only want people to work full time, and all we wanted to do was retire
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2009, 01:20 PM
in 5 years time id like to have done my degree, masters then (i think)! its MBA that follows???

anyhow - i want education completed in that time

i would also like to be with a *steady* partner by then and just to be happy....
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by Rookgeordiegirl View Post
Because we wanted to retire and therefore wernt offeringany skills, even though my husband was prepared to work p/time he is a research chemistand also qualified to teach chemistry to A-level they only want people to work full time, and all we wanted to do was retire
Sadly, that's getting to be the case almost anywhere now! Even though we ourselves would have plenty of dosh to set up home and retire comfortably in the places we wanted to, plus of course Dave is fully qualified as a vehicle technician/MOT test and I myself am a qualified shorthand typist, we'd both be too old by the time we got around to doing it! I actually did the Canada thing when I was 19, and I got as far as my interview at Canada House, I was almost accepted apart from my interview, but then sadly, I fell in love, got engaged and didn't carry on with it! I often wonder what life might have had in store for me had I taken the plunge back then.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by suze View Post
in 5 years time id like to have done my degree, masters then (i think)! its MBA that follows???

i would also like to be with a *steady* partner by then and just to be happy....
Noooo.... after your masters it yer Doctorate mate...Dr.Suze

Go for it
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Same here. We've been on the (4 year) visa waiting list for Canada since May 2006 and I hope like mad we're accepted. We meet all the criteria/points and then some but you just never know.
Good luck with that!! Luckily anyone can live in Spain lol! I love it so much there - everything is manana (in their own time) I've been learning Spanish for years & still not quite got it, I can get a taxi & a beer though!!
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Sadly, that's getting to be the case almost anywhere now! Even though we ourselves would have plenty of dosh to set up home and retire comfortably in the places we wanted to, plus of course Dave is fully qualified as a vehicle technician/MOT test and I myself am a qualified shorthand typist, we'd both be too old by the time we got around to doing it! I actually did the Canada thing when I was 19, and I got as far as my interview at Canada House, I was almost accepted apart from my interview, but then sadly, I fell in love, got engaged and didn't carry on with it! I often wonder what life might have had in store for me had I taken the plunge back then.
Places like Canada and Australia and New Zealand are getting tougher on who they let in now...They want people with a good education and qualifications and a good work record. I suppose it's because of when everyone was going to Australia and the like, in the 60's and 70's they are clamping down now and you have to have a skill that will enhance the country.

I'm glad you didn't go mate, I would have missed out on all the laughs
xxxxxxx
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2009, 02:26 PM
Well, I'm going to be working for another 25 years at least, and OH for another 20+, and I'm happy enough to stay where we are in the meantime. After that, with no mortgage and good pensions, we will move somewhere a bit more rural: maybe back to Cornwall or N Ireland, maybe to the Lakes or Scotland.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2009, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Eventually we would like to be in Derbyshire or Yorkshire.

We are hoping to move in the next year but nearer to where Gorden works as the travelling is becoming ridiculous unless his sort of job comes up in the next year or so up North then we will go off up North earlier.

I would love a bigger garden a driveway for the cars all things we had before until we moved here.

I have loved this house and still do and living here as we have the field and nature reserve on our door step but it is an estate and so many young Children and I would like a bit of peace and quiet now.
There are some beautiful spots in Derbyshire and Yorkshore....now I could settle in Yorkshire I have to admit, as long as it was rural.
Originally Posted by suze View Post

Thats really sweet.....I wish you all the very best
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Canada, Australia New Zealand are extremely difficult these times. They don't just want qualifications but they want you to prove that you are beneifical to thier country job wise etc.,
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
Good luck with that!! Luckily anyone can live in Spain lol! I love it so much there - everything is manana (in their own time) I've been learning Spanish for years & still not quite got it, I can get a taxi & a beer though!!
Your right about Spain, France too, they are alot easier to go and live
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
Places like Canada and Australia and New Zealand are getting tougher on who they let in now...They want people with a good education and qualifications and a good work record. I suppose it's because of when everyone was going to Australia and the like, in the 60's and 70's they are clamping down now and you have to have a skill that will enhance the country.

I'm glad you didn't go mate, I would have missed out on all the laughs
xxxxxxx
Your so right. Steven and Hayley (my son and daughter-in-law) have been looking at living in either one of those countries....although I think New Zealand has pulled thier heart strings, they were told they would probably be snapped up for all three countries as they are long serving Police Officers here, Over 9 years ......... thats what they both want one the baby reaches one Be a nice holiday for us
Originally Posted by duboing_again View Post
Well, I'm going to be working for another 25 years at least, and OH for another 20+, and I'm happy enough to stay where we are in the meantime. After that, with no mortgage and good pensions, we will move somewhere a bit more rural: maybe back to Cornwall or N Ireland, maybe to the Lakes or Scotland.
Ireland, Scotland, Lakes, Cornwall, Devon and parts of Wales, Yorkshire......they would all draw me.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >