Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

05-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
the majority of the time these dogs are owned by idiots.
Lol. How are you getting that?

The members of DDAWatch have been helping and advising victims of BSL since the inception of the DDA in '91. That amounts to hundreds of owners. In all that time they have dealt with two owners that they felt were bad news.

Just because Kiel Simpson had a type dog don't assume that all owners of type dogs are Kiel Simpson.

The Dangerous Dogs Act kills dogs. We all know that. But did you know the Dangerous Dogs Act has also claimed the life of at least one owner? Mark Amston 20, from Caernarfon, Wales, hanged himself the day after his American Pit Bull Terrier was put to sleep. The inquest heard that he failed to get the insurance for his dog as the Dangerous Dogs Act required and hanged himself from an attic door at his home the day after his dog was destroyed. He left a note which simply read:

“Goodbye; Me and Sandy will be together for ever. Me and Sandy will never be parted again.”

Two lives gone in the blink of an eye because of a law that does not work.

The affect of having your friendly family pet ripped out of your life is immense. The owners have only one shot at saving their dogs life and that is by standing in a court of law and literally begging. Recently the story of a “Bobby Ridgewell” was published here. Owners Sylvia Ridgewell and her grandson Kevin stood in a room full of strangers and BEGGED for their dog as the tears streamed down their faces. Sylvia is 71 years old. She has brought her grandchildren up with her husband. Bobby is her life. She paid her taxes, abided by the law and is a respectable elderly lady. Shes lost children and grandchildren and was now in danger of losing her dog.

This is how Sylvia begged a court to spare the life of her dog.

My name is Sylvia Ridgewell grandmother to Kevin and also co owner of ‘Bobby’.

Kevin has lived with me all his life really.

The last time I had a dog was about 30 years ago, he passed away of old age. Kevin has always wanted a dog, so had my husband John. We have had so much stress and sadness last year that I agreed we would have a dog so Kevin got Bobby from a friend. We believed he was a Staff. We took him to the vets and had his injections. It was not until Bobby got spooked and ran a police man called **** found him so I did not phone the police until the next day, he had been taken to ***** kennels as a lost dog. The next we knew the police had been notified that Bobby looked like a banned breed which was found to be true. Bobby is now a pit bull type dog.

Please let me tell you a bit about our Bobby he is the most lovable dog, he is gentle and very friendly, he loves to play football with the children.

My husband John was a double amputee but Bobby use to sit by the side of him so John could pet him. John also used to play ball with him, sadly my John passed away suddenly on 10th December 2007. I miss him so much. We were married for 51 years, even then Bobby sat with me and lick away my tears.

I know Bobby won’t be able to go over the field and play ball with the children but he still can play in his garden with them and with them in their homes.

I will do anything the court say I have to do to have my dog Bobby put on the dog register.

“Please” don’t have my Bobby put to sleep, I love and miss him so much, he don’t know his a ban breed, he has never done anything wrong.

I could talk about Bobby all day, he does not like rain so I take him under a umbrella in the garden because he is so soft and lovely.

I would like to say please, please, I am so lonely without Bobby.

“PLEASE” can we have him back home.

Yours faithfully

Sylvia Ridgewell

Bobby is now back home. The court stated Bobby is not dangerous but Sylvia will never forget how the dog that has comforted her while she grieved for her husband of 51 years was kept from her. She will never forgot what it felt like to stand and beg for her dog knowing that the answer could come back saying Bobby would die.

So look at your dogs now, whatever breed or type they are. Look deep into their eyes and ask yourself this: How would you cope if you had to beg for your dogs life? What on earth do you say knowing if you get it wrong your dog will die? Then ask yourself how would you cope if you lost?

End Bsl.
Article by Alison Green
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by **Leanne** View Post
It's always a sad situation, but they are illegal and owned by plonks! I don't think it's fair to tar any breed with the same brush, every dog is different. Wasn't impressed by the police officer but I liked the guy who caught the other and explained that a dog cornered will be more aggressive - I mean some people watching might not know that and think it's just an evil dog.
Plus I loved his dog Nelson, hopefully they do well in the Nationals! And diesel just seemed to absolutely loved his job which is lovely to see.
Pretty much how I felt about the programme too I thought Nelson's handler was great and totally loved Nelson I wasn't very impressed with the female handler's way of dealing with the pitbull pup, his owner or her attitude in general really I felt very sorry for the pitbulls but I suppose there are definitely fates worse than death, and those two would most likely have ended up in the wrong hands again

The Malinois in the back of the van just looked like a bad traveller to me - poor lass.

Great programme though There should be lots more like it
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post

The members of DDAWatch have been helping and advising victims of BSL since the inception of the DDA in '91. That amounts to hundreds of owners. In all that time they have dealt with two owners that they felt were bad news.

Just because Kiel Simpson had a type dog don't assume that all owners of type dogs are Kiel Simpson.
Well, in my opinion to go out and purchase a Pit Bull knowing full well that they are a banned breed is idiotic.

For people that have had dogs seized under the DDA as Pit Bull 'types', when their dogs were not in fact Pit Bulls at all, obviously have my full sympathies. But I still maintain the opinion that if you choose to own a crossbreed that will upon maturity strongly resemble a Pit Bull, you take a huge personal risk when you bring that dog into your home.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-08-2009, 12:18 PM

But all owners of type dog in the UK are breaking the law..by owning an illegal dog.

So not your average dog owner are they.

And I am not talking about the dogs that where here before the ban, although my guess is they will all be dead by now.

Pitbulls in the UK have been brought in for one reason only , for crime..... yes some of them might have ended up in decent homes, but the fact is they are illegal,
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 12:18 PM
We live in a democracy. It is for all of us to decide what our laws should be.

We have BSL because too many people don't understand what a useless, cruel law it is or, if they do understand, they are not sufficiently moved to actually tell their MPs.

are you forgetting why these dogs are banned in the first place???

incedentally...

i dont support thie plight for bruce - yes i feel very sorry for the dog and its welfare and from what ive seen this is being dragged out....
I do think however - people are doing a good job in what you belive in and thats NOT something to be knocked...

its not something i support or will support and for as long as there will be dog attacks by pits and their types...the act should remain and be enforced more!

im well aware you wont agree but this is my opinion which im entitlied to and i accept your view points too......
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
It is buyer discretion if someone chooses to keep such a cross as a pet as far as I am concerned. Buy a breed that looks very Pit like and you take that risk.
Not that simple though unfortunately I wouldn't own a bull breed for lots of reasons, but there are plenty of lovely, friendly Staffies that could be deemed to be "type"
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Sorry John I strongly disagree with you here. ANYONE buying a Pit Bull IS an idiot, they are knowingly purchasing an illegal animal, why? Think about that, its not because they want an ideal family pet is it?

"Type" is one thing, but both of those dogs on the TV l;ast night were clearly Pit Bulls.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by suze View Post
but this is all down to crossbreeding again? if people didnt own lookalike dogs then wheres the problem? but thats a whole other issue there i think......

the person deciding must have knowledge - like in the programme - the police woman was the only one qualified..... that says something... i purposely would not own a dog which looked like a banned breed as id be terrified my dog being taken off me

and yes i could put mysefl in an owners shoes and see how hurtful it woul dbe to take your precious (in some cases ) animal away.... but why have a potential issue with the police anyhow????
Ok - so it comes down to a breeding issue - sort out the breeders...but what about the dogs in rescue....just about evry other dog in rescue down here is a staffy 'type'.

The number of Staffy/staffy crosses is huge....how do you tell what is a pit bull.....do you put all those dogs to sleep? What about the people who decide to give a rescue dog a second chance....or should they not have that option?

i agree..... imo the owner should have been arrested.... if that was at his house - surely then he would hav been??? (seen that before?)

i agree.......

like i said they are banned for a reaon - but the numpties dont help their case either tbh
They were banned as a knee jerk reaction with a rushed through, ill thought out peice of legislation.

Heigh ho - in the end its always the dogs who pay
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 12:23 PM
its not something i support or will support and for as long as there will be dog attacks by pits and their types...the act should remain and be enforced more!

im well aware you wont agree but this is my opinion which im entitlied to and i accept your view points too......
Fair enough - but why stop there - there are may more breeds....GSDs/Rotties/Dobies/Mastiffs.....and the ones that I see doing the most damage down here Spaniels.

Should they not be banned as well then?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Not that simple though unfortunately I wouldn't own a bull breed for lots of reasons, but there are plenty of lovely, friendly Staffies that could be deemed to be "type"
Again, to me the owner takes that risk when they purchase the dog. A well bred Staff looks nothing like a Pit Bull. In fact, I don't think I have ever seen a Staff that could be mistaken for one. It is when you start crossing the Bull breeds (like I said in an earlier post, a cross like an American Bulldog x Staff could easily produce a Pit-looking dog) that you start to get more Pit type dogs.
Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »