View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 04:23 PM
Sorry I missed this Cuz, I had my knee done by spinal inj. Nothing to it hun, and I was sitting up and fine on the night.

Best wishes whichever way you go.....you'll be fine xxxxxxxxxx
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-06-2009, 05:15 PM
I have had both a spinal and GA and prefer spinal. I had a spinal for my D&C and was home that night at 6pm. They did sedate me, as they felt I would be to stressed if I was awake for what they were doing, but it's your choice so go for what you feel is the best option for you.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
Ouch vicki sounds painful.
I personally would go for a GA but then you know what a wimp I am.
I suppose if you can stomach hearing them chipping away at your bones and seeing it then it would be a better option to have the spine injection and perhaps they will be more gentle with you if your awake to oversee it.
The other thing that would worry me about the spine injection is that it would go wrong and you would never get the feeling back in your legs.
Oh Jeez I think I'll shut up now before I put you right off, I've already terrified myself.
Thanks MM that doesn't help
We will be fine Vicki
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 07:44 PM

Thanks guys...... I'm feeling more positive about the spinal now..... despite Madmare's comments (I know how she feels..... x)

It's a while away yet, so I'm far from the panicking stage yet that's for later
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post

Thanks guys...... I'm feeling more positive about the spinal now..... despite Madmare's comments (I know how she feels..... x)

It's a while away yet, so I'm far from the panicking stage yet that's for later
Sorry vicki, but as soon as I read your post and you asked what we thought I just put myself in your position and you know what a wimp I am, so that was how I felt.
Now being realistic I have never been through it and others have so they know what its really like, so please don't listen to me., my fingers engaged before my brain as usual.
Now I have only one more thing to say to you and that is when you go in that hopital. "KEEP THE DAMN NOISE DOWN", I do not want to hear you have been told off again
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 06:23 AM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
Sorry vicki, but as soon as I read your post and you asked what we thought I just put myself in your position and you know what a wimp I am, so that was how I felt.
Now being realistic I have never been through it and others have so they know what its really like, so please don't listen to me., my fingers engaged before my brain as usual.
Now I have only one more thing to say to you and that is when you go in that hopital. "KEEP THE DAMN NOISE DOWN", I do not want to hear you have been told off again
I'll probably get barred......
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 06:31 AM
Sorry to read this Vicki...and what a decision to make...I know I'd want to be totally knocked out, but then I'm the biggest whimp going when it comes to pain or the thought of hearing anything going on.

Big hugs xx
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Oh Vicki! Not the decision you wanted, really. Hope all goes well when the time comes and go with what you feel is best for you. Take care.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Hi Vicki,

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. It's your decision after all as it's your knee.

I am also waiting for a knee replacement (full TKR, left knee) but at 35 my OS has decided to force me to wait.

I was previously offered a spinal anaesthetic with a major surgery and I refused point blank. I opted for a GA and will always do so. I also refused an epidural when in labour and had Oscar without any pain relief (aside from one injection of diamorphine very early on). I am the ultimate wimp when it comes to needles of any sort but to have one put into my spine doesn't inspire me with confidence.

The way I see it, I've had GAs before and hve had no problems. If I'm out cold they can do what the hell they like to me and I couldn't care less. If I'm awake (even a little bit) they have to treat me nicely physically and will need to watch what they're saying just in case they let slip something they shouldn't.

Remember - it's down to you. Weigh up the pros and cons, whether you want to be home in 2/3 days or 4/5 days etc. Overall your recovery will be the same.

What I would definitely advise is that you do as much physio as you can manage before yoru surgery. Get your knee muscles (particularly your quads and VMO) working properly and the stronger the muscles before surgery, the easier your recovery will be.

Good luck.

Laura xx
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-06-2009, 02:22 AM
Hi Vicki, Fay had a full knee replacement done 2 years ago, she opted for the epidural, the surgeon asked her if she would like to watch the whole procedure on a monitor above the operating table as she would be fully concious, she said yes.

The recovery time is greatly reduced if you opt for the epidural so you'll get home quicker, I asked the surgeon before her op how soon it would be 'till I got her home, he said 4 or 5 days, .. I said if you keep her in for a fortnight there's £50 in it for you.

Hope all goes well for you Vicki.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4