View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 09:36 PM
NO but neutering a nervous dog can tip them over the edge into aggression.

I am an average pet owner who chooses not to neuter,based upon:
1) having a number of entire males over the years and not having a problem with them
2) having a number of neutered 9 month old pups who have all had problems both with the op and with behaviour afterwards as a direct result of the op. I know it was a direct result of the op as nothing else changed.

I do think it is entirely up to the individual what they do in terms of neutering BUT if people do choose to neuter I feel it is best to do so once the dog has reached physical and mental maturity.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Again, all anecdotal.

As for aggression, who says that neutering is the sole factor responsible? genetics and environmental factors are equally responsible for aggression. Dogs don't just 'become' aggressive because they are neutered.
Yes and as I stated before, so are papers. If you read enough papers on a subject they quite often contradict one another.

No, there were no genetic or environmental factors. Everything continued as normal but the dog started to behave aggressively towards other dogs - actually causing the trouble, whereas before he was afraid.

Where is your scientific proof - irrefutable please - that "dogs don't just become aggressive because they are neutered"?
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
NO but neutering a nervous dog can tip them over the edge into aggression.

I am an average pet owner who chooses not to neuter,based upon:
1) having a number of entire males over the years and not having a problem with them
2) having a number of neutered 9 month old pups who have all had problems both with the op and with behaviour afterwards as a direct result of the op. I know it was a direct result of the op as nothing else changed.

I do think it is entirely up to the individual what they do in terms of neutering BUT if people do choose to neuter I feel it is best to do so once the dog has reached physical and mental maturity.
And no. 3 - "if it ain't broke .."
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 09:43 PM
Fair play then.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
And no. 3 - "if it ain't broke .."
well exactly. Ifthere was a medical of behavioural reason his little furry plums would be off as soon as possible...but he is the least macho dog I have ever met and has been known to run away from flirtatious bitches in season.He is a big wet lettuce and it would do him no good at all. He isn't exactly well endowed bless him!!! Dont' tell him I told you though!!!!!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
well exactly. Ifthere was a medical of behavioural reason his little furry plums would be off as soon as possible...but he is the least macho dog I have ever met and has been known to run away from flirtatious bitches in season.He is a big wet lettuce and it would do him no good at all. He isn't exactly well endowed bless him!!! Dont' tell him I told you though!!!!!
, bless him. In his dreams he is a super stud!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Fair play then.
I'm sure I said the same thing in my first post on this thread though!!!!

I do not agree with neutering dogs that are young. I think dogs in their first year have enough to cope with without chopping bits off and having a GA as well.

My opinion though.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
, bless him. In his dreams he is a super stud!
In his dreams he is wallowing in the biggest muddy puddle in the universe!!!!! Thats what I mean...big soft lump he has no idea they are there or what they are there for.....
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 12:13 AM
I'm sorry I'm gonna jump in here. EVERY dog who is not going to be bred should be spayed or neutered! waiting 'till their a year old is a good idea, but sometimes, like in this case, neutering early is a good idea so the "male" behaviors dont become habit. accidental litters DO NOT NEED to happen and as overcrowded as shelters are, we dont need to bring more puppies in to this world. Dogs that are neutered have a ZERO risk of testicular cancer, spayed dogs have a MUCH reduced risk of Mammary Cancer, and a ZERO risk of uterine cancer. Neutering is not a cure all by any means, BUT an intact dog will travel MILES for a bitch in heat, if it gets out of the yard.... this will stop with a neuter. I do not believe in leaving ANY dog intact that is not a perfect specimen of the breed, and therefore used for breeding. besides, heats for an intact female can be hard on them, and you run a MAJOR risk of unwanted puppies.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 07:15 AM
Why not just take your vets advice they are the ones who know the facts not just opinions
Page 4 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »