View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-04-2009, 07:36 PM
I really can't understand any argument against having them neutered before being rehomed even if it's to a family member or close friend. It's just completely irresponsible unless there is a legitimate medical reason not to neuter.

I also think if a breeder can't keep all their dogs, once they are no longer required for breeding, then they should stop breeding altogether until they have room to accomodate more dogs (and I mean in the house not in kennels....just imo). hope that makes sense

Dogs shouldn't ever be for profit.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post

I do not like that but I also cannot see it as the same thing - someone who is breeding dogs for thier own hobby verses a dog who has been doing a job and can no longer preform in that function. Added to the fact a lot of service dogs go on to live with the person who worked them.
Some do retire with the peopel they where in service with, but some dont..

Why is it different for those dogs to be retired to pet homes over the show dog that gets the same privilege?

Regardless of who or why they where bred..surely the quality of life for the old dog is the most important thing..

Originally Posted by Tassle View Post

If the person is saying the dog is going to a 'better' life that implies that they cannot provide the kind of life they feel a dog should have.
You seem to have misunderstood me,,,

The "better life " are MY words , not any breeders, I have no idea what explanation they give on their reasons for retiring a dog.

Just my perceptive on it.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2009, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Some do retire with the peopel they where in service with, but some dont..

Why is it different for those dogs to be retired to pet homes over the show dog that gets the same privilege?

Regardless of who or why they where bred..surely the quality of life for the old dog is the most important thing..
Agreed. Every dog deserves that kind of life.
My disagreement comes to the idea that it is right just to breed dogs for showing - which is a whole other thread!

You seem to have misunderstood me,,,

The "better life " are MY words , not any breeders, I have no idea what explanation they give on their reasons for retiring a dog.

Just my perceptive on it.

No - I realise they are your words....but rehoming the dog on is admiting that someone else could give it a better life...otherwise why home it on?
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2009, 09:41 PM
I'm noticing huge parallels with the 'Should rescues take dogs from puppy farmers' thread. I don't think some 'professional breeders' are much different from puppy farmers, except some may health test their dogs. I too think it's horrible to have so many dogs that you can't give them individual attention and then pass them on when they're no longer useful.

I see service dogs as someting different - they have a lot of one-on-one training and stimulation, and are serving a purpose, not just winning some ribbons and making someone some pennies. I don't have a problem with breeding or showing, but I really don't see much difference between these big, commercial kennels and puppy farms. The recent St. Bernard story is an example. I don't know how prevalent this kind of breeding/showing is, but I really don't agree with the concept. I don't think this kind of breeding/rehoming can be justified by using the "they're better off out of there" argument - I don't believe this kind of thing should exist at all, but I know not everyone views dogs in the same way I do. I do think it's better that they go to new homes when they're 'surplus', rather than living in kennels, but I don't believe any dogs should be in that situation to begin with - same with puppy farms.

I'm only making the puppy farming comparison with regard to how some (hopefully very few) people operate, not every show kennel in the country, as obviously there is some grey area. Some hobby breeders may pass on an older dog (I'm talking very occasionally) if they know someone really well, possibly a family member, who'd love the dog, and I think it's possibly OK in some circumstances. I just don't think it should be a regular thing; part of how a breeder operates. In this kind of instance, when the breeder knows someone well beforehand, I don't see a problem in not neutering. However, if they are going to people only vaguely known by the breeder, or relative strangers, then I think they should be neutered, as you never can be too sure of people's intentions.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2009, 07:11 AM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
I'm noticing huge parallels with the 'Should rescues take dogs from puppy farmers' thread. I don't think some 'professional breeders' are much different from puppy farmers, except some may health test their dogs. I too think it's horrible to have so many dogs that you can't give them individual attention and then pass them on when they're no longer useful.

I see service dogs as someting different - they have a lot of one-on-one training and stimulation, and are serving a purpose, not just winning some ribbons and making someone some pennies. I don't have a problem with breeding or showing, but I really don't see much difference between these big, commercial kennels and puppy farms. The recent St. Bernard story is an example. I don't know how prevalent this kind of breeding/showing is, but I really don't agree with the concept. I don't think this kind of breeding/rehoming can be justified by using the "they're better off out of there" argument - I don't believe this kind of thing should exist at all, but I know not everyone views dogs in the same way I do. I do think it's better that they go to new homes when they're 'surplus', rather than living in kennels, but I don't believe any dogs should be in that situation to begin with - same with puppy farms.

I'm only making the puppy farming comparison with regard to how some (hopefully very few) people operate, not every show kennel in the country, as obviously there is some grey area. Some hobby breeders may pass on an older dog (I'm talking very occasionally) if they know someone really well, possibly a family member, who'd love the dog, and I think it's possibly OK in some circumstances. I just don't think it should be a regular thing; part of how a breeder operates. In this kind of instance, when the breeder knows someone well beforehand, I don't see a problem in not neutering. However, if they are going to people only vaguely known by the breeder, or relative strangers, then I think they should be neutered, as you never can be too sure of people's intentions.
As always, perfectly put! That's exactly how I feel, only you say it better
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2009, 07:36 AM
But do you include all working dogs in your thinking , or is it just show dogs.
Well there are so many types of working dog I can't put them in the same box! If we are talking about assistance dogs then they may well have to be rehomed once they are unable to work for their recepients due to been old and infirm as they may only be able to have one dog at a time. With regards to working sheep dogs and I think Moobli can say what happens to those as I would hve thought that that type of dog would be unsuitable for a family home unless they are very old and decrepit!
Those dogs that work for the security forces or armed forces I don't know what their rehoming policy was but I thought that some of these dogs, because of their training, cannot be rehomed to members of the public.
I personally, do not comprehend why people who show, and profess to be dog lovers, find it so easy just to pass them on once they have passed their usefulness. I've had to rehome dogs because of fighting etc and to this day I still think about them and it is something I wish I could have changed. It's an awful feeling, as I'm sure others who have had to rehome for such reasons can understand, and one I don't ever want to feel again.
Becky
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2009, 07:39 AM
I think the 'real' reason depends on who the person is doing the rehoming. The worst reason I think is this : It is a sad fact that some people do not get the dog neutered/speyed before rehoming, simply because it costs money and they do not care enough about the future welfare of the dog to put their hand in their pocket.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2009, 10:14 AM
I think thats right Werewolf - as far as i'm concerned its the person who is rehoming the dog responsibility to make sure its neutered then they can be 100% certain its not going to be used for breeding, why wouldn't they if they were genuinely concerned for the dog.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4