View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Discussion on Radio 4 on it right now, from both parties.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2009, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by lovezois View Post
Still don't think that this warrants spending that kind of money on this campaign. Think the money could have been put to better use.
Totally agree, it just that I can sympathise with them when they hear of cheques being sent to the Scottish RSPCA and they dont benefit.

My friend works for a charity and you wouldn't believe how cut throat and territorial they are
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2009, 05:42 PM
it says the rspca raised 114MILLION in 2007...and what exactly has that gone on...apart from the advertising which they spent 17 million on...
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2009, 05:43 PM
It is so sad that they can't work together, but I can see the SSPCA's point.

I'm not sure that I agree with spending that much money, but I would imagine that they believe they will recoup that (and more) by making Scottish donators aware of where their money is going.

Yes, maybe the SPCA should rise above it, but this may mean them not getting the donations which they geniunely believe were meant for them.

It would be simple for the RSPCA to either agree to give a small proportion of their national campaign to the SSPCA or, when advertising nationally, to make it clearer that they do not help animals in Scotland. Saying that they are registered in England and Wales is not sufficient imo - there are many organisations that are registered in one country but still work over others.

It isn't likely that the same 'mistake' will happen the other way round - most people in England haven't even heard of the SSPCA.

Although well intentioned at the outset (and on the whole run by well intentioned people at local levels) there is something fundamently wrong with all the larger rescues; sometimes at senior level I think they lose sight of their objectives and think it is all about promoting the rescue and getting in the money. But in this I would include the Dogs Trust as their catchphrase 'we never put a healthy dog down' really winds me up....no, they probably don't, but that is because they have the luxury of turning away those dogs that they don't think they can rehome or those who they don't have room for - leaving some other poor rescue to do the dirty work. (feel better now I've got that off my chest )
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2009, 05:43 PM
I think the RSPCA have been milking funds from the SSPCA for years, with there adverts in scotland, scottish people should be aware that donating to the RSPCA will not help in here, it will only help dogs south of the border,

I dont think the SSPCA have the money to advertise in the way the RSPCA do, that tells a story in itself.

but as others have said, the amount of money spent on doing this is a fair amount, also its a pity they cant work together, but the RSPCA dont seem to think scotlands exists
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2009, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
it says the rspca raised 114MILLION in 2007...and what exactly has that gone on...apart from the advertising which they spent 17 million on...
A good deal of it on political lobbing I have long been of the opinion that the RSPCA is not there to offer immediate help to animals, the local people may but the primary purpose is to lobby for ever increasing powers.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2009, 07:54 PM
Is it only me or is this the sort of thing that the media would love, so couldn't the SSPCA tell people about the RSPCA free through the media, which will be able to use it to sell stories, not taking any money away from the animals, but letting people know the facts, or is that not simple or cheap enough
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2009, 03:47 PM

Why can't they all unite ...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7865965.stm

double post soz everyone, just noticed Dawns post ...
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Neither suprise me our local RSPCA cherry pick what they take as they take the nice easy re-homers and if they do occasionally take an older dogs its PTS.

No faith in either more businesses than rescues IMO
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2009, 04:10 PM
I live in Scotland and I am sick of telling people here that the SSPCA and the RSPCA are completely separate organisations . A lot of people see the RSPCA adverts on TV and donate thinking it will help animals in Scotland , they have no idea it won't . The SSPCA have tried to sort this out and now they have spent a lot of money telling people the facts . Maybe they will be better off in the long term when people in Scotland start donating to the SSPCA .
All the organisations have faults , the Dogs Trust has a good name , they never put a healthy dog down but that's because they can pick and choose what dogs they take . I supported them for years and when I asked them to help a dog I knew of which needed help they didn't want to know . In the end the SSPCA helped .
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >