View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2015, 06:15 PM
First of all, even those who don't suffer from depression often get 'puppy blues' where you feel really emotional and question whether adding a puppy to the family was the right thing to do. Duering this stage, which can last a good few months, you might feel like you'ere not bonding with the puppy and feeling 'lost'. That is perfectly natural. So don't neccasrily base your feelings on being 'wrong'. Depression also tends to go hand in hand with anxiety, and based by your worrying that 'you might' end up neglecting her I'd say you're worrying about things that haven't, and may not ever happen. I know it's easier said than done regarding anxiety, believe me I do ( I'm a long term sufferer mysef since my very early teens ) but having a dog CAN help your mindset. My dogs have been absoutlely crucial in my mental health. And if you'd have said I would be showing my youngster this time last year I'd have laughed you out of the door. That was thwe ultimate scary scenario....all those people looking at you...the judge judging your dog and yourself to a lesser extent, and just generally being around all those people. But you know what? I feel more confident since delving into this 'otherworld' of dog ownership. A dog takes the attention away from me, and when people do talk it's about my dog. Something in which I feel confident and able to discuss in great length. A dog gives me a purpose. They rely on me and encourage and support me at the same time.

What training have you done with your pup so far? Do you feel you'd be comfortable enough to join a training club? Even with another family member maybe? Honestly, when your training starts paying off and you see your dog develop it's an amazing feeling and a real confidence booster. Ask yourself why it is you feel uninspired to train/look after her. Do you *want* to be able to keep the pup and work with her? Have you spoke to your parent's about how you're feeling?
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-05-2015, 07:38 AM
kathy , hello , it is nice to hear from you .

I have not been in your position but I'm not the only to have taken on a dog and felt totally overwhelmed at times.

perhaps it would help to look at what you have achieved.
In what way do you feel you have actually "neglected" your pup?

No-one is a perfect dog owner!
It does sound like your family have foistered your pup on you and not pulling their weight but be honest with yourself and be certain resentment isnt influencing how you feel rather than depression.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4