Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Is it in fact not dangerous to encourage people to fatten up dogs you have never seen?

It is long past time for many of you to look beyond your fixed ideas and the way it has always been. Fat dogs die sooner.
No one has encouraged her to?? we encouraged her to take the advice from some one that knows the breed, and has seen the dog her self !!
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by Blu View Post
Is it not also dangerous for you to be telling people not to put weight on dogs you have also never seen? More so when you don't know the breed, what it looks like, what size of coat it has.. You seem to be ignoring the fact that on big coated dogs you can't see the ribs atall.
Not to mention it's YOUR dog and YOU have determined (with the additional help of people "in the know") that the dog is a bit underweight. So no it's NOT dangerous to advise you as to how to have the dog gain a bit of weight.

Many people have had to help dogs gain weight as it's not that uncommon for dogs to come into shelters and rescues underweight and sometimes severely underweight due to neglect, abuse, and parasites.
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2010, 05:49 PM
I found pictures of him wet but he's shaking in them so he looks huge He loves the tripe and ate half a packet of it in one go so atleast I don't have the problem of him refusing to eat. Not much to go on but he is 7kg (14 pounds I think?) and he is the taller end of a min poodle so maximum he can put on another 4 pounds.

Someone actually told me at the weekend to try barley malt extract. Anyone heard of that being used before?
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2010, 05:59 PM
Hi Blu

The B vitamin complex in the malt extract that they recommend will increase the dog's appitite. (Dorwest Herbs sell a malt based tablet to do the same thing)

I hope you get your boy to the weight you think is suitable for him.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-06-2010, 06:50 PM
If you can't see a dog's ribs, chances are, it will live longer if you don't put more weight on it. I don't understand why so many here want to continue the practice of keeping their dogs overweight.

I can read. Very very few of the threads where somebody wants more weight on their dog mention the ribs showing. Mostly it is wanting it to look like other dogs, most of which have their lives shortened by excess weight. It doesn't have to be the 20% that constitutes obese. Too bad for your dogs that some many of you deny you are abusing them by over feeding.
Labman I consider it very presumptions and arrogant for you to make such statements, no one here has defended overweight dogs and I don't think it is acceptable for you to assume everyone who posts about an underweight dog needs a lecture on canine obesity or is overfeeding their dog or that others here overfeed their dogs
Obesity in dogs is clearly your latest obsession , a little while ago it was telling people with in season bitches that they may die or be killed, and people with puppies including those living in cities to always go outside with puppies in case a hawk took them.

When it comes to dog abuse I suggest you go away and look at your own methods of dog care before you presume to criticise others here.
BigBearsRule
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Just wanted to thank all the people who gave genuine advice. I have been looking into the same problem. My new poochie, is an 8 month old St Bernard, who is really underweight, ribs hang out. Have been advised to fatten her up (by the vet (for Labman)). She had been fed wrong foods for a giant breed, previous to me owning her. So she is very ganglyn and very thin
I have been today to J olleys and bought frozen tripe and she had her first batch for tea. Yummy yummy in her tummy. As Im a vegetarian, I found it repulsive - but wouldnt deny my dogs anything for their health and wellbeing.
I have read this thread with great interest, and taken from it all information that I found pertinent.
Thanks again guys
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-06-2010, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by BigBearsRule View Post
Just wanted to thank all the people who gave genuine advice. I have been looking into the same problem. My new poochie, is an 8 month old St Bernard, who is really underweight, ribs hang out. Have been advised to fatten her up (by the vet (for Labman)). She had been fed wrong foods for a giant breed, previous to me owning her. So she is very ganglyn and very thin
I have been today to J olleys and bought frozen tripe and she had her first batch for tea. Yummy yummy in her tummy. As Im a vegetarian, I found it repulsive - but wouldnt deny my dogs anything for their health and wellbeing.
I have read this thread with great interest, and taken from it all information that I found pertinent.
Thanks again guys
Hi Debs my neighbour has an underweight rescue dog and has had great trouble getting any weight to stay on her. He gets very upset by the looks people give her and he thinks they think he is starving her.

Increasing the number of meals can help, also as the others have said feeding tripe and I also feed porridge oats for breakfast with an egg beaten in which many dogs like and sardines in oil added to food are good too
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Labman I consider it very presumptions and arrogant for you to make such statements, no one here has defended overweight dogs and I don't think it is acceptable for you to assume everyone who posts about an underweight dog needs a lecture on canine obesity or is overfeeding their dog or that others here overfeed their dogs
Obesity in dogs is clearly your latest obsession , a little while ago it was telling people with in season bitches that they may die or be killed, and people with puppies including those living in cities to always go outside with puppies in case a hawk took them.

When it comes to dog abuse I suggest you go away and look at your own methods of dog care before you presume to criticise others here.
Since you seem to be totally lacking in judgment, none of your posts mean much to me. Too bad anybody gives any attention to your myths of the 50's.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Since you seem to be totally lacking in judgment, none of your posts mean much to me. Too bad anybody gives any attention to your myths of the 50's.
All I've seen from Minihaha are well thought out posts with good information. All I've seen from you have been posts of animal abuse and neglect and a heck of a lot of misinformation. I have no clue what these mysterious "myths of the 50s" are. Haven't seen anything yet.
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2010, 07:43 PM
This is very interesting reading to me, Gracie (ESS) is always on the skinny size, especially in the shooting season when she is in work.

I'm going to take on board what has been said, about what is good food to help 'up weight.'

Will the continuation of feeding tripe and such help maintain the body weight?
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >