Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2008, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
Like I said, if you're happy with what's in it and the dogs do well there's no problem Probably the reason why it's so good for sensitive tums is that it's chicken and fish and they are very gentle on the tummy. Like I said at the beginning of the thread I had heard vets recommend it too.
Just wanted to make sure no one thought I was having a go
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2008, 09:17 AM
My boys have just had a tin of this...xbiotics have had a horrible effect on Jamie's belly He is also refusing to eat the raw diet he was getting That boy has me wound round his paw Well they ate it with gusto and its not as stinky as I thought.. but then I am used to raw tripe now Just see what the results are
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2008, 02:41 PM
On the derivatives point of things, i'm usually one for steering clear of derivatives, the meat content deffo has to be way more than 4% and meat also has to be the first ingredient. This is why I bought the likes of Arden Grange, Nutro, Pero Organic etc and wouldnt even consider any of the cheaper brands due to the poor quality of ingredients.

But, it got to the point where I was spending a fortune on these top brands and not seeing any results apart from an empty purse. I just had this crazy idea of giving the cheap nasty stuff a go as a kind of experiment. Chappie was my first thought because of the good comments i've heard and read.

As a total shock to me, Chappie is doing wonders for my BC, derivatives or no derivatives! Everybody at agility have commented on how much he seems to enjoy the training now because his energy is up and his weight is down. He is positively rearing to go and i'm even considering registering him to compete.

But as skilaki has already questioned, i'm at a loss as to why such crap ingredients seem to work so well.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2008, 04:27 PM
... and Georgie's still eating it with great gusto too and he's on his 4th day of it now. This morning he did the most perfect poo he's done for years! Bring it on!!!! Cheap or not, I'm sticking with this, so thanks again Leanne for putting this up, coz I would never thought of trying it, it's been years and years since I bought a tin! Lol at your "cr*p ingredients" there too!!!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2008, 05:18 PM
It's a shame the raw didnt work out for you Helena, for me it just wasnt practical. I'm glad that you've found something else that George is doing well on.

We used to call Jed "Bobble Bum" because he just used to do these little, hard rabbit dropping type poos which came out in dribs and drabs. I know the less waste coming out, the better but the quality was very poor. Now, like George, he is doing properly formed number 2's which actually look like they came from a dog!
Boxacrazy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-06-2008, 07:52 PM
Chappie has gone up in price at Tesco's though was 56pence a 800gr tin last week, now 77p a 800gr tin.

Yes the ingredients don't look good on paper but it does
work, certainly has for mine that are fed it.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2008, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by Boxacrazy View Post
Chappie has gone up in price at Tesco's though was 56pence a 800gr tin last week, now 77p a 800gr tin.

Yes the ingredients don't look good on paper but it does
work, certainly has for mine that are fed it.
Yes I noticed that huge hike in price. I don't know how the heck they can justify putting it up 21p in a week. Thats just ridiculous.

I don't think our local Asda does the 800grm chicken and rice flavour so i might compare PAH price on it.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2008, 10:51 AM
I was thinking about the price only this morning too. I paid 48p a can in P@H for 24 of the smaller size cans. Now Georgie will have 3 of those a day, although I think it says 4 or 5 on the can, but he won't have that much just 1 1/2 am. 1 1/2 pm. Anyway, 24 cans which cost nearly £12 will last me 8 days, whereas the James Wellbeloved kibble is around £7 a bag and would probably last me the same with chicken or something mixed with it? So it isn't cheap is it??? In fact, it's more expensive than feeding the kibble I was using? I think !!!
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2008, 11:05 AM
When I was feeding AG it was costing me about 30p a day to feed a 9kg dog. It seems like a lot to pay when you get the 15kg bag, but it lasts for ages.

I was surprised to read the price of Chappie. It's gone up a lot, but then everything's going up right now.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Like I said Sarah, in an ideal World, we'd all feed raw, I tried it, I wanted to do it desperately, but it didn't work for mine at his age I wish I'd been on Dogsey many years ago when I had my puppies, I'd have stuck with it from the start, but there ya go!

Now some of us are in this situation where we have to find a good food (none of it's "good" we all know that, it's basically all c*ap that you wouldn't feed by choice)but one that suits our dog's needs, keeps him happy, lively and well, and perhaps suits some of our pockets too, not mine, I could do the fillet steak route if I wanted, Dave would be quite happy with baked beans , but my dog actually ENJOYS this rubbish and I like what appears the next morning too, and that's good enough for me!
Well i fed the girls raw for two years, then got flynn ,who i struggl;ed to keep on raw for a year, but he HATED it! he also hates Chappie & ND & butchers!!!!! Hes very sophiscated & a snob he likes Genesis & abit of Royal Canin at a push!!!!!

The moral of the story is feed your dogs whatever they do best on, i hate all these "i feed raw so im a better oowner than you" brigade.

My friend keeps chickens & has foxes, they actually feed the foxes dog food ,so they leave the chickens alone. & it works the Foxes prefer the dog food, no more chicken murder, & the foxes look fabulous...much better than they looked on chicken!!!!
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >