Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2006, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by shaza View Post
Yes, the only problem is, that I was told by the vet to really work the solution into the wound with cotton wool, then to pat it dry of any excess solution with a dry piece of cotton wool.

I can't bear to do it, so I have made the OH come home mid day as we have to do it at least three time aday. The vet does the evening one
Ah yes, I can see that wouldn't work then, what a shame as it would help with his discomfort and make you feel a bit better about having to do it.
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2006, 10:58 PM
It is now midnight here, I am feeling totally useless, Ozzie seems to be in so much pain. I have just rung the emergency number for my vets. And was told that the Jab he had this evening means he cant have any pain relief so it looks like it's going to be a long night. My OH thinks we should take him to another vets tomorrow for a second opinion. I feel so miserable and usless.
How can one sit and watch an animal suffer, I am really not finding this easy.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-12-2006, 11:44 PM
Hi Shaza poor little dog, it sounds from your initial description that Ozzie was bitten and had a severe reaction to the bite, and that a bacterial infection has invaded the wound. I would guess the vet has now given Ozzie a steroid injection to reduce the inflammation and a long acting antibiotic.

It must be horrible for you to see him in such pain there is not a lot you can do except follow the vets instructions on cleaning the wound and to try to keep Ozzie calm by talking quietly to him and stroking him gently, think CALM and it will help him to be calm too. Big hugs for the little chap xx
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2006, 07:36 AM
Shaza so sorry to hear Ozzie is still feeling very sore

Is he any better this morning? Perhaps it will take a little while for the pain relief to start working?

I do hope the little boy feels better soon, big hugs xx
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2006, 01:06 PM
Still not good today, am trying hard to stay calm, giving him lots of back massages, it seems to calm him for a while. Didn't get a lot of sleep last night, spent most of the night stroking him, keep telling Ozzie how lucky he is being able to sleep on our bed, I can just imagine what he would reply to me if only he could talk.

OH hasn't come home for lunch, so it looks as if I'm going to have to bathe it myself - not easy.

When I go the the vets this evening I'm going to ask for something to ease his pain, perhaps if I insist I might get somewhere.
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2006, 01:18 PM
I'm sorry Shaza to read about poor Ozzy. (i have just noticed this thread now), i do hope he starts to get better soon. Poor little lad, sounds like he has had a terrible time. i hope he starts to pick up soon and your vet gives him something for the pain tonight if he still needs it.

Take care
xx
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2006, 01:29 PM
Have tried to take a picture of part of the area, my camera not to good with closeups - but here it is.

Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2006, 01:42 PM
ooo dear, it looks nasty,poor Ozzy no wonder he has been distressed.
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2006, 03:29 PM
Yes doesn't look very nice does it, it is driving him crazy, he has about a 15 minute calm break, then he run around in circles yelping for what seems like an age - day and night.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2006, 03:38 PM
Poor little mite, no wonder you are so distressed about it, it looks so sore.

Do you think the vet treatment is working at all or does it seem worse than when it started?

By the way, have you tried arnica as a pain relief? As it is homeopathic you should be able to give that to Ozzie on top of anything the vet gives him. Just an idea I had this morning as I was driving up the motorway.
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >