Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-12-2011, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post

Are they dogs??

I suggest the owners just get a barbie head doll !!
ninabean
New Member!
Female 

08-12-2011, 12:06 AM
My chinese crested Fifi Trixebelle is pink & white at the moment and I walk around the woods/park in pink wellies!!!

Lots of compliments received to how lovely she looks.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2011, 12:09 AM
I often feel that people who do such to dogs should have got a doll instead. The poster above is just one of many that own the same breed as me, yet like to dress them up, dye them, carry them round in bags.. see where I am going?

Dogs are dogs for god sake, what do they get out of such? Nothing...Its done for human entertainment!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2011, 12:25 AM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
I often feel that people who do such to dogs should have got a doll instead. The poster above is just one of many that own the same breed as me, yet like to dress them up, dye them, carry them round in bags.. see where I am going?

Dogs are dogs for god sake, what do they get out of such? Nothing...Its done for human entertainment!
I did once feel like you
But - if we are talking about your breed
Is it OK to clip their faces?
Shave their tummies?
Tape their puppy ears so they grow the 'correct' way?
Put sun cream on them?

Its the same argument as to whats the difference (to the dog) to put a coat on them or a vampire cloak?

Grooming is part of being a dog for some breeds
My dogs would tell you pretty much ALL of it is excessive - cos thats not what they are used to

Does that make someones dog who needs more grooming than my pair less of a dog? or be treated less like a dog

If I put a little blue flash in Bens tail when a big scotland game was on and everyone about made a fuss of him then the grooming would give something to him he loves

and I bet you him and Copper would still be upsidedown in as many muddy puddles with their stripes and flashes as they ever are
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2011, 12:33 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
arent they clever??
and before people go mental most of the more OTT images are for compatitions - where the grooming is done and they are judged that day - so the dogs dont have to look like that 24/7

But I wonder for the people who have the problems with it - where do you draw the line between what is and isnt OK?

Wolves dont need grooming or clipping at all (neither do my dogs) so ANY grooming is something that mans intervention over time has caused to be needed for our dogs
Its ALL unatural
ok for me i dont see the attraction in it at all, BUT each to there own.

for the bit in bold, i draw the line at HAVING to cut out any really bad matts in a dog or HAVING to have a dog shaved because of these matts

take my mums eldest bitch for example, when my mum got her, her "bloomers/Feathers" were soo bad they had to be cut off, this bitch didn't like to be groomed and even now still doesnt like it very much, but because this had to be done, her "bloomers/Feathers" are horrible in that they tangle very easily and you have to cut them out.

again another example of a stray who found her way to my cousin, i begged groomers to do something with her and found one who would shave her, she was still only a puppy and her coat was so badly matted that several groomers agreed and said that no amount of brushing was going to get rid of them (she was walking like an old lady when my cousin found her, and after being clipped returned to the playful bouncy dog she once was) she is still with my cousin now 4 years later and still in the same area she was found, no one came to claim her

(just to add when i say begged i mean i begged, i only had £20 left till payday and i used this to get her done by a professional groomer who took pity on her and me)

with my dogs however, i hate taking scissors to them unless its necessary, i took ty to a groomer and told her not to take scissors to him unless there was a mat which she couldn't get out (which i knew there wasn't as i had been over him before he went) and she ignored me, while my mum thought he looked nice and loads of people commented on how lovely he looked, i thought personally that he looked "too" groomed, his coat underneath she had cut so it was all one length, and she done the same to his feathering on his front legs, never touched his back end thankfully and he has never been back to her since

so i guess i could have just said, if its for the dogs own good then fair enough, but not just for the sake of it
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2011, 12:33 AM
The problem is BenM - The breed in question is hairless with little hair in selected places, they are also known for often having sensitive skin. Putting dye on the little hair thats available is silly and could potentially affect the skin causing a reaction - all for what? There is no valid reason behind it!

I see you mention the shaving of faces, I guess thats because of the breed - well then you would know it benefits the dog and 'prevents' hairs growing into/towards the eyes, which would result in the dog being in discomfort!

Dying is not part of grooming, its not needed - clipping if done correctly offers no risks, or pain for the dog.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2011, 12:45 AM
The problem is BenM - The breed in question is hairless with little hair in selected places, they are also known for often having sensitive skin. Putting dye on the little hair thats available is silly and could potentially affect the skin causing a reaction - all for what? There is no valid reason behind it!

I see you mention the shaving of faces, I guess thats because of the breed - well then you would know it benefits the dog and 'prevents' hairs growing into/towards the eyes, which would result in the dog being in discomfort!

Dying is not part of grooming, its not needed - clipping if done correctly offers no risks, or pain for the dog.
I know what you are saying, but my point is it isnt natural for dogs to need that - we have bred them over many many generations to need to have these things done to them
I know it is a need

But clipping the hair on the rest of the body isnt is it?
Shampooing isnt natural and dogs shouldnt need it (I possibly wash mine yearly and the water runs cleaner than my friend who washes her dog weekly)
Yet people do that

at least if they are being extream groomed the owners are spending time with them
the dogs look more fit and healthy than some of the dogs I see waddle round here

Yup I would love for all dogs to get the chance to spend every day as swamp monsters like my pair - but that isnt the life of many many dogs - and I doubt a bit of hair dye will be making a huge difference either way
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2011, 05:43 AM
Originally Posted by Deb/Pugglepup View Post
I am taking it from the whiter than white pomeranian (sp)? that poodles about in the park isn't allowed on the grass, isn't allowed to sniff other dogs, etc.......

I wasn't saying that every dog that enters the show ring doesn't behave like a normal dog.....

But do you walk round the park in your wellies with a pink poodle SB?

Come on???????
No I do not but I have always had a hankering for a Standard Apricot Poodle to work in Schutzund/Working Trials complete with diamante collar and bow so I could shout:

"I know you are out there if you don't come out I will send FiFi"!

As I said, I am lazy, so I do not do dogs with hairdressing. That is why I do not have a terrier that needs stripping. Or a Lowchen or PWD that have their bums shaved for showing.

We have seen plenty of threads on here re dressing up dogs for Halloween or Christmas, so what is the difference?

You are basing your opinion based on ONE experience of ONE dog ie your local Pom, the owner may be eccentric!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2011, 05:46 AM
We had better stop

taking photographs
buying and selling different designs of collars, leads, harnesses coats
Buying and selling different bowls, mats,

the list is endless as what do dogs get out of wearing diamante collars, or matching harnesses and leads?

Nothing, it is done for human entertainment.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2011, 07:06 AM
I've been walking round with my pup in a bag this past week or so. Very handy as we walk miles, Rosie walks about 5 minutes at the moment to protect growing joints. Also very useful for keeping hands free in the cafe where we sometimes pop in for breakfast. Get some funny looks, some smiles, some frowns, but there ya go. It's practical for me right now.

I see quite a lot of dogs in 'strollers/prams' when out and about. Really wish my old boy would have taken to one of these as it would have allowed me to make his life a little more interesting when he couldn't do lead walks, but could potter around a little.

Do I care what people think? Heck no. For me it's a practical thing, but if fancy haircuts and colours don't do harm, make owners feel good about their dog and the dog doesn't mind them, what the heck!
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >