Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dardar
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by arctic.wolf View Post
I know it is the breed clubs that set the breed standards, but if it is nothing to do with the KC how are they now revising them for less exaggerated looks and healthier dogs.

It is not that I disagree with dog shows, I disagree with dogs being placed with such exaggerated looks that it affects the health of the dog. It is time that judges placed less exaggerated/more healthy dogs, and then it would send out the message that the KC actually does care.
thats the point i was trying to get across, very well said artic wolf. im just not that well educated and apparently i know nothing aout dogs, i just get through life on common sense.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Dardar, you need to look at the new standards for these breeds that you are complaining about and you will see that the Kennel Club has already changed some of the breed standards, it wont happen overnight but it will happen, protesting about something that is already happening is a bit pointless.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by dardar View Post
thats the point i was trying to get across, very well said artic wolf. im just not that well educated and apparently i know nothing aout dogs, i just get through life on common sense.
Dardar, can I ask, which of these dogs your prefer? the early rottweilers or rotties as we see them today?

dardar
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
Dardar, can I ask, which of these dogs your prefer? the early rottweilers or rotties as we see them today?

to be honest i like the ones today,but the rotties are not exaggerated like some of the other breeds im talking about. i will have to be so careful what i say on this forum every point is picked up ha ha.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 12:00 PM
to be honest i like the ones today,but the rotties are not exaggerated like some of the other breeds im talking about. i will have to be so careful what i say on this forum every point is picked up ha ha.
so would it be fair to say, that Yes some breeds are exaggerated and they need to be changed,

but its also fair to say, many breeds have been greatly improved by breeders/breed clubs
dardar
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
Dardar, you need to look at the new standards for these breeds that you are complaining about and you will see that the Kennel Club has already changed some of the breed standards, it wont happen overnight but it will happen, protesting about something that is already happening is a bit pointless.
i am not complaining they are facts, a lot of the show dogs are being bred with health problems and everybody is turning a blind eye, why? i had a neapolitan mastiff, she had cherry eye, i looked into it and found the skin is now so heavy around the head and face it pulls the skin from under the eye down so far a tear gland pops out and the answer was "a ye thats common just a small operation to take out the gland" why not breed them with less skin ? and you would'nt have the problem. thats all im trying to say, is that not common sense.
dardar
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-03-2009, 12:15 PM
ye i will go with that shona.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2009, 01:33 PM
Along with the revised breed standard any health issues are also being looked at, these issues have been put before the breed councils, as I said previously, in my breed one concern was asthma, this was due to one case that was known about and wasn't even purebred, how can that be doing nothing.

Your unfortunate experience was in the past, hopefully this will have been addressed, it certainly will be now. I don't think that nothing is being done. If you were involved with a pedigree breed as many of us on here are, or read any of the dog press you would know that this is the case. We can only look toward the future.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-03-2009, 02:21 PM
typical! thats an answer i was expecting, did you bother to look at utube (pedegree dogs) probably not. im not here to argue, im just trying to guide you towards the facts, look back at pictures 50 to 80 years ago, for eg. basset hound,neapolitan mastiff,bulldog,staffordshire bullterrier, pug,german shepard, do ye want me to go on? and tell me they look the same. thats just looks, what about health? im not here to bash anyone, im a dog lover myself, im just annoyed that people are so ignorant and wont admit to the problems that are their.

I am glad you where not disappointed with my answer... as we tend to answer like with like here. and no I did not bother to look a the u tube videos you posted...because I did not need to.

Of Cause dogs have changed from what they where originally...if you go far enough back in history you will find we no longer look the same as we did..when we where created.

That's what happens with evolution.

Going back 10O yrs ago in the canine world, will be going bak to the days when most breeds where on the still drawing board. ofcause we all know some breeds need to be "tweaked" I dont think you will see anyone say differently... and the KC can only do so much, it cant be done over night.

They have been
Its a shame your point was missed ...as the only point you make was the Crufts was responsible for breed standards and health.

first of all "crufts do'es set the standard" people that dont know one end of a dog from the other know about crufts end of story, and secondly the "show people" are so ignorant its unbelivable, just go to utube and type in "pedegree dogs" its in 6 parts of 10 mins. almost every kc breed has changed since the original standards were set. it makes me sick the way dogs are been exaggerated and changed. i would say you would'nt be able to get 6 different breeds of show dogs to do the jobs they were origanlly bred for

i am not complaining they are facts, a lot of the show dogs are being bred with health problems and everybody is turning a blind eye, why? i had a neapolitan mastiff, she had cherry eye, i looked into it and found the skin is now so heavy around the head and face it pulls the skin from under the eye down so far a tear gland pops out and the answer was "a ye thats common just a small operation to take out the gland" why not breed them with less skin ? and you would'nt have the problem. thats all im trying to say, is that not common sense.
Nobody is turning a blind eye.... the majority are very well informed to what and how to breed a healthy dog... those that dont follow breed ethics can not be spoken off in the same ilk.

You say you did your research on the NM... well you will know that the loose skin is there for a purpose.. and I am sure you will have been aware that the NM has a slack eye.

If you where so anti the breeding of this breed, why did you buy one.. surely the best way to make a protest is to boycott the object of your portest.

As I would, there are breeds I would never buy for all the reasons you know give... and instead of supporting the breeding of said breeds.. I simply wont buy one.

Your tune has now turned from the original ..."crufts is the bad guy" to know voicing some concerns over some breeds..

Shame you did not say that in the first place, and you might not have gotten such a negative response.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-03-2009, 02:26 PM
typical! thats an answer i was expecting, did you bother to look at utube (pedegree dogs) probably not. im not here to argue, im just trying to guide you towards the facts, look back at pictures 50 to 80 years ago, for eg. basset hound,neapolitan mastiff,bulldog,staffordshire bullterrier, pug,german shepard, do ye want me to go on? and tell me they look the same. thats just looks, what about health? im not here to bash anyone, im a dog lover myself, im just annoyed that people are so ignorant and wont admit to the problems that are their.

I am glad you where not disappointed with my answer... as we tend to answer like with like here. and no I did not bother to look a the u tube videos you posted...because I did not need to.

Of Cause dogs have changed from what they where originally...if you go far enough back in history you will find we no longer look the same as we did..when we where created.

That's what happens with evolution.

Going back 10O yrs ago in the canine world, will be going bak to the days when most breeds where on the still drawing board. ofcause we all know some breeds need to be "tweaked" I dont think you will see anyone say differently... and the KC can only do so much, it cant be done over night.

They have been
Its a shame your point was missed ...as the only point you make was the Crufts was responsible for breed standards and health.

first of all "crufts do'es set the standard" people that dont know one end of a dog from the other know about crufts end of story, and secondly the "show people" are so ignorant its unbelivable, just go to utube and type in "pedegree dogs" its in 6 parts of 10 mins. almost every kc breed has changed since the original standards were set. it makes me sick the way dogs are been exaggerated and changed. i would say you would'nt be able to get 6 different breeds of show dogs to do the jobs they were origanlly bred for

Nobody is turning a blind eye.... the majority are very well informed to what and how to breed a healthy dog... those that dont follow breed ethics can not be spoken off in the same ilk.

You say you did your research on the NM... well you will know that the loose shin is their for a purpose.. and I am sure you will have been aware that the NM has a slack eye.

If you where so anti the breeding of this dog, why did you buy one.. surely the best way to make a protest is to boycott the object of your protest.

As I would, there are breeds I would never buy for all the reasons you know give... and instead of supporting the breeding of said breeds.. I simply wont buy one.

Your tune has now turned from the original ..."crufts is the bad guy" to now voicing some concerns over some breeds..

Shame you did not say that in the first place, and you might not have gotten such a negative response.
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >