Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

24-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by liz & kiesha View Post
I did not get the impression she wanted to profit in any way from this and you have just added to what i mean by automatically assuming she does.
You say, in the quote above, that I have assumed that she wishes to profit.

I did not. That's why I started the sentence with an conditional conjunction - 'if'.

Since the woman has not bred before then she will not have any experience in the vetting and finding of good homes and it is unlikely that she will have the same resources to homecheck and do follow-up checks or offer back-up. A rescue would have all the experience to guide her through the weaning of the litter and is the best option for a novice breeder not wishing to profit from the sale of the pups.

That seems to me to be a constructive suggestion but I also feel that IF the woman wants the money that this litter may represent then I do not want to encourage that or facilitate that or help in any way beyond suggesting the vet for any health worries. I'm not interested in making life easier for BYB.

If you feel that is overly judgemental of me - that's fine. You're entitled to your opinion. But if you say I've assumed that she is in it for profit - that's wrong. I didn't. It's not a word game. It's just what I wrote.
Mouse
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-05-2009, 08:00 PM
What were her questions & circumstances?
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2009, 08:04 PM
But all these people agreed that she should have advice:

Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
Unusually I am with Louise for once however, I do agree with what Liz is saying (below). The poor pups are not to blame and neither is the bitch, so I believe they should be given the relevant support. I do believe it should be made clear to the 'breeder' though that what she has done is wrong but I suspect that she would not necassasarily understand why, having put her bitch and the pups in this situation in the first place
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
I think that in this situation you should be able to ask for advice and it should be freely given but you have to expect that people will be judgemental and point out that this is the wrong way to do things. It might just make her think before making the same poor judgement again.
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Unfortunately human nature being as it is, people will criticise and judge.

I agree with Werewolf, that the bitch and pups aren't to blame for the owner's naivety/ignorance and so I feel helpful information should be given.
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
When people post on here about whelping they usually get help. In the past some of us have sat up all night with people who were novice breeders and had a whelping bitch

That doesn't mean people won't be informed of their responsibilities and taken to task if they are being deliberately careless or thoughtless on the subject of breeding.
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Hi Liz

It's great you are helping her. I meet loads of other dog owners on our walks but I don't know of any that visit dog forums and some are genuinely not as clued up as forum members. It doesn't excuse some actions and I agree that if someone is intending on producing a litter of puppies, it should be obvious to do research first and do things properly.

Having said that, it happens that unfortunately not everyone does and alienating this person won't do anything to help her care for the puppies or their future. The pups are here and giving advice doesn't mean the breeding is being condoned. Hopefully, if given guidance, and that should include an explanation as to what was wrong about the way she went about things, this person will be more responsible in future
Originally Posted by lilyput View Post
Absolutely right.

However, we have all made mistakes in life. Those who say they haven't are in denial!

The bitch and pups will be the losers if no help is given.

As dog lovers, there is no choice
liz & kiesha
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-05-2009, 08:07 PM
Awww bless you mouse for caring, i will p.m you as i see little point in coming back to the thread.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2009, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by lilyput View Post
Absolutely right.

However, we have all made mistakes in life. Those who say they haven't are in denial!

The bitch and pups will be the losers if no help is given.

As dog lovers, there is no choice.
I am not in denial..I am not lying..I have not bred my dogs and if I intended to do so I would make damn sure I knew what I was doing BEFORE I did it..

So education is the key. Therefore she should be educated.
Yes she should..but she should have educated HERSELF before playing god

With the help of google i have now found the answer to this womans questions, quite simple really but not being a breeder i had no idea, thanks everybody for caring enough to ask what her questions were and help me help her
WHY are you finding the answers to her issues on google?? can't she do that herself..
Just giving her the answers isnt' going to help her!!

You didn't ask questions for her..you never asked if we would answer the questions!!! so you last sentence is just ridiculous
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2009, 08:29 PM
I have found the answer via google, quite simple really if you know about breeding which i did not.
I think you are great to help the pups/ bitch - but surely if the lady had a problem there are better ways than asking someone one comes across on a chance meeting about fence posts?
I still don`t understand why a vet is not the best place to get this sort of advice.
I know nothing about this lady and her circumstances. You asked if people should be non-judgemental, did you not? I think we should always use judgement, but with compassion.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Well Im sorry she'd of got the same "treatment" from me. Im sick to death of idiots breeding dogs and cats! Nobody can tell me there isnt enough info and free help around to prevent it happening nowadays adn I dont care a jot who I offend. Just been reading of a six month old kitten reportedly "tiny" near ready to have its kittens, makes my skin crawl!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2009, 08:44 PM
Sorry Liz if she can manage Freecycle she can manage google!!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2009, 09:53 PM
Lets hypothisize....

Say I bred a litter and I did it just cos I could. Becuase of this mind set I didn't bother to do any research and as a result the Mother and her pups are struggling to thrive. The pups lives are in danger, but I don't have the money to take the pups to the vet.

I go on a forum to get some advice. This advice could save the whole litter.

So.....

Would you give this advice to try and help the pups inspite of the way they came into the world....

Or would you think "**** it, it's her own stupid fault, she shouldn't have bred them in the first place", which results in the whole litter dying?

Answers on a postcard please.

PS: My own opinion is this....

It's shocking that so many people breed just cos they can, but the resulting pups aren't to blame for their own circumstances. I truly believe education is the key and if I can help save a litter of pups, regardless of how they were born, I will.

Shouting at people and telling them how stupid they are helps no one (other than the shouters own ego perhaps???). By all means make it be known you don't agree, but for heavens sake at least try and be helpful in an effort to help the litter already in this world. Being "brutally honest" as some like to call it, will only make people run and you can't help people if they've already left, which could ultimately end in the death of a litter of pups.

Now who would want that?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2009, 10:06 PM
As we don`t know the circumstances or what happened with other forums, this is pure speculation. I still think a vet or PDSA or the RSPCA or a Rescue is a better place to seek advice about whelping or rearing puppies. Forums are great for debate, for social stuff, or for comparing notes - but not for free vet advice.
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >