Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2010, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by surferchappie View Post
Please read the post above
Right, there you go then.

It's definitely preferable I can assure you.
surferchappie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-09-2010, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Right, there you go then.

It's definitely preferable I can assure you.
It is something we are aspiring to put into action as soon as possible.
A dog-flap has been considered but with Crush the size she is and subsequently the size the flap would have to be, the house would be too open to intrusion.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2010, 08:41 AM
It is something we are aspiring to put into action as soon as possible.
A dog-flap has been considered but with Crush the size she is and subsequently the size the flap would have to be, the house would be too open to intrusion.
I have a dog flap for my Bullmastiff, but then again, I don't have the room for a kennel in my garden!

She is left alone when I work (8:15 till 5:30 some days).
At the moment I'm not working, but spending whole days at hospital - again, where she is left alone all day.

surferchappie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-09-2010, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
I have a dog flap for my Bullmastiff, but then again, I don't have the room for a kennel in my garden!

She is left alone when I work (8:15 till 5:30 some days).
At the moment I'm not working, but spending whole days at hospital - again, where she is left alone all day.

Interesting, how do you get on with the flap? Is it a concern being so large or is it all ok?
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-09-2010, 08:58 AM
id be more worried that someone would steal the dogs! someone i know in this village has 2 dobermans they were stolen has they were outside all day (and this is on a busy main rd!) and also a springer spaniel was stolen from a locked kennel while game kepper popped to the dentist! luckily for him she was found a few months later and new owner (who bought the dog in good faith) gave her back
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2010, 09:02 AM
Interesting, how do you get on with the flap? Is it a concern being so large or is it all ok?
It's more of a concern to visitors than to me! lol

The way I see it is if people are going to break in, they are going to do it regardless of a dog flap! They can probably see my big tv through the front window, but can't see I have a dog flap!

Dog flap is at the back of the house. There is no access to my back garden from the front of the house.
If they want to get through next door, there are 4 rotties one way!
The other way are brilliant and keep an eye on my house.
If they want to come through the back.......I back on to a school playing field - with a 9 foot heigh & 3 foot deep horthorn hedge - they are quite welcome!

The barking of a big dog tends to put people off even standing at the door when they've knocked lol
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2010, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by angied View Post
id be more worried that someone would steal the dogs! someone i know in this village has 2 dobermans they were stolen has they were outside all day (and this is on a busy main rd!) and also a springer spaniel was stolen from a locked kennel while game kepper popped to the dentist! luckily for him she was found a few months later and new owner (who bought the dog in good faith) gave her back
They can break in through a front/back door regardless of a dog flap and steal the dogs if they want though!
As explained in my previous post, they would have a lot to get through to get into my garden - and if they want to try and lift an 8 stone dog through a hedge, they can try lol

Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-09-2010, 09:08 AM
If you do go down the dog flap route, let your house insurance company know. I have a friend who was unfortunatley burgled and the insurance company would not pay out as they did not know about the dog flap.

Let us know how you get on with the RSPCA, hopefully all is ok.

Edited to add - they didn't break in through the dog flap!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-09-2010, 10:09 AM
Oh dear, people like you make me tired...

Ok let me try to alleviate your concerns:

The dogs are not being mistreated. There is no-one suffering. Being outside is not suffering.

Did i now, said that this happened everyday did i...let me have a look-see...no, no i did not.
I gave a worst case scenario, i deal with the legal in my job and had i mentioned a shorter period and someone like you (obviously with an axe to grind) established that longer periods of time exist, well, we know exactly what the reaction would be.

It means exactly what it says.
We watched from afar...
We wanted to see if they would bark and become distressed...
They did not...
*hand to forehead* (i cannot believe that i am repeating and elaborating on such a simple sentence)
They have constant access to the back garden when we are home via the back door as it is left open, they do not live outside continuously nor for any unsuitable lengths of time.

Well, that is your opinion. Please raise it in another thread if you feel so strongly about the matter. I appreciate that you are trying to tell me what i am doing wrong, but what you are telling me is based on your own beliefs and has little/no backing, unless you have some authoritative paperwork you care to point me in the direction of that limits the time a dog/s may be left outside with food / water / shelter / safety?
My opinion is that this does not warrant a claim of abuse, neglect, or mistreatment as the dogs are as another member posted about their own dogs; destructive when left indoors and much prefer to be outside.
Outside they have ample food / water / shelter / safety and therefore my opinion being based on these facts is strengthened.
I truly am thankful that i do not live next to you.
But heyho, tell you what, let us see what the officials have to say about the matter, we can throw opinions around this thread all day long if it helps you to feel better, but i am certain that no issues will be highlighted, primarily because none exist (oops there goes another opinion) but we'll see what they say when they get here, after all, they are the educated and certified people in this field, not you or I.

Thanks for the help.
Of cause its my beliefs, and probably your neighbours too, if that is the reason you have had a visit from the RSPCA!

The thing is, everyone will set their own "what is acceptable" for their dogs, as when you get to see the RSPCA, as an independent body, they will tell YOU if your regime is acceptable or not.

BTW, when one posts a thread, we (those who read it) are not clairvoyant, we can only read what you write,

And your first post you stated ...The dogs are kept outside say 8am - 4/5pm , you will have to forgive me for not being able to preempt your further posts!

Personally leaving a dog for up to 9 hrs is not acceptable to me!! in or out of the house.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2010, 11:24 AM
Yup, they certainly are loner joners, they seem to get confused almost if you start fussing round them. They enjoy regular play fights and like to see who can lay on the spot the other one likes best just to provoke a chase, quite entertaining.
The missus has her own views now as to what may be the trigger to all of this: we've had some pretty bad rain recently and some of it during the daytime, ergo it could be possible that someone passing by caught a glimpse of the "i'm sad and lonely and should be on a PDSA advert" stare one day whilst the dogs were out in the garden. The garden is currently a pathway, a patio, a circle of grass maybe 8ft diameter, and mud...it's been turned and weeded and is awaiting the paving slabs so that we can pave it all (less my funky circle anyway :P). So rain + mud + 2 dogs having a mental fit playing with each other + "grrr get away from my yard" = CALL THE RSPCA THIS IS JUST DRASTIC WOE IS ME!
yip i have a similar settup...awaiting paving slabs etc...new neighbours(have lived here 10 years ish),no problems mentioned to me then a visit from 'them'.....their main problem.....mud!!,not neglect or anything worth bothering about,could see i loved my dogs theu loved me ,cared for,well fed etc....thing is 'most' dogs like mud anyway

some people like to cause hassle,dunno why

you do know that unless they come with police and a warrant you dont have to let them in(even if they intimidate u with a caution) and then only the named people on the warrant can come in.

i hope things get resolved soon...its a horrible feeling
Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »