Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2009, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
i know little about breeders and waiting lists, im rescues all the way.

but i have to say, i hate when people choose a dog purely on colour and coat etc. it is so superficial. i love how jake looks, i think he is gorgeous but it wouldnt matter to me what he looked like, colour, coat etc. its his personality i care about, and he is my boy so he is gorgeous to me no matter what he looks like.
Is it though? If coat and colour was so superficial then we wouldn't have such a huge array of different coloured and coated dogs surely?

Health and temperament should always come first, but if you pick the right breeder, surely that's a foregone conclusion?

I'll never have a Liver and White Springer, I just don't like the colour. Does that make me a bad owner? I certainly don't think so, it just means I know what I want!
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-11-2009, 11:14 PM
I think if you want a specific line the colour is not that important - like your child`s hair. You will grow to love it.

I would agree with this, also. We wanted another lab but we didn't care what colour.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 10:30 AM
I don't think that colour really matters in a dog, one day I would love another bully baby, and although I love the brindles I don't care what colour the dog would be, although I think that this falls for all animals it took me ages to get even a bunny from a breeder that I was happy with.

But also when I went to pick Honey her three sisters were all Blue, and her brother looked just like her but had the Saluki fringes, but we wanted a female, and although the other dogs were gorgeous, and we went there for a blue female (don't tell Honey) we walked away with her, as she was the most friendly and confident pup, but was also good with my little brothers from the first moment she saw them (the breeders had children the same age) and she just looked like she would fit in the best, and now I've never looked back and wished that I would of got a blue one, but am actually really happy that I got her.

To the original poster, is there a certain reason that you want that colour? And would you be prepared to get a different colour but from a good breeder?
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 11:25 AM
I cant see where these breeders are in the wrong? if you had told the 1st breeder that you still wanted a pup from them, but you were also putting your name on another breeders list so that you had a better chance of getting a pup then fair enough, but if you didnt, its bad manners, what if a pup came available from both breeders at the same time? one of thos breeders would have been left with a pup they "thought" was booked for you to find out last minute that you have decided to go to the other breeder for a pup. when anyone has been placed on my list they can say what preference they have colour wise, but realise they may not get that colour if a pup of another colour suits them better (I chose which homes each pup goes to the people dont have pick, the only stipulation of theirs that I agree on is the sex) colour is not the be all and end all. when I was initially interested in malamutes grey was the more common colour and so my first was grey, then I had a sable, then I kept a grey and a seal from my litter and then kept a seal from my last litter, the colour never really was an issue it was the actual dog type/temperment/health that interested me more.

Breeders have list because they want to ensure that the pups go to the right homes, they want to know they can trust the people they hand their pups over too, if you were not open and honest with them by informing them you had placed your name on another breeders list then I am affraind you made yourself out to being underhand, I certainly would have reservations about placing one of my pups with you.

edited to add if you were looking in my breed and I found this topic on here I would be letting every breeder I know the link so they could be aware of the situation.

Mo
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Is it though? If coat and colour was so superficial then we wouldn't have such a huge array of different coloured and coated dogs surely?

Health and temperament should always come first, but if you pick the right breeder, surely that's a foregone conclusion?

I'll never have a Liver and White Springer, I just don't like the colour. Does that make me a bad owner? I certainly don't think so, it just means I know what I want!
I agree completely. I don't think choosing a dog for its colour is at all superficial!!

Like other have said you choose your breeder based on health tests etc anyway so you already know your pup should be healthy so therefore what is wrong with picking a colour? My hubby wants a chocolate lab one day is that wrong of him?? Why should he have a golden or black one when he doesn't like those colours just so he isn't accused of being superficial??

However I can see both sides as we have a rescue dog and had I had the pick of the litter when he was a pup then no I wouldn't have chosen him as his markings aren't what I look for BUT we took him on as a 2yoand now I have him I wouldn't change him for the world and think he is stunning, so I do thank fate for him as like I said I would have picked him as a pup!!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 03:14 PM
to be honest i dont think the breeder did anything wrong. you put your name down on multiple lists without teling the other breeders. you have to see this from their point of view and to them it can look dodgy. that breeder has a responsibility to make sure that the puppies go to a good home. if you have your name down on a number of lists then they may wonder what your motives are, or if indeed you are as honest as you made out.
i think really that you have made a mistake and unfortunately you have had to learn the hard way which is a shame, seeing as you have missed out on the pup you wanted. i wouldnt slate breeders though as they are just doing their job, and im sure you would be slating them if they were giving their puppies away to any one and everyone without checking out the people? its not entirely their fault im afraid, you played a big part in it as well.
katz14
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Thank you for your reply.
The first breeder knew I still required a puppy when the bitch in question eventually did come into season.

The other breeders pups were due in 2 weeks and the bitch from first breeder had just been mated therefore should the second breeder I contacted's dog have had a blue/cream sable bitch I would then have contacted the first breeder letting her know that I had managed to find the colour I was looking for else where.

I really did mean to contact the first breeder as we had shared several emails over the months but Family Issues took my mind away from it until I checked online to see if the bitch had been succesfully mated yet....... I did then send an email and told the breeder that I had placed my name on her friends list .... which is when she said because of this my name was no longer on her list....
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 03:51 PM
I just think breeders get a lot of timewasters so need to cover their backs. They need to have a firm list so they know exactly how many homes they have and who to contact when the pups arrive. If people keep dropping in an out it doesn't give them a good idea of how many solid homes they have lined up. I wouldn't take it personally - you're in the know for next time!
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by katz14 View Post
Thank you for your reply.
The first breeder knew I still required a puppy when the bitch in question eventually did come into season.

The other breeders pups were due in 2 weeks and the bitch from first breeder had just been mated therefore should the second breeder I contacted's dog have had a blue/cream sable bitch I would then have contacted the first breeder letting her know that I had managed to find the colour I was looking for else where.

I really did mean to contact the first breeder as we had shared several emails over the months but Family Issues took my mind away from it until I checked online to see if the bitch had been succesfully mated yet....... I did then send an email and told the breeder that I had placed my name on her friends list .... which is when she said because of this my name was no longer on her list....

Un fortunately this is now in hindsight, you hadnt told the 1st breeder and even if you did meant to contact her she had found this out via another breeder, so even if you did have good intentions, thats not how it looked when the breeder informed you, that you were no longer on her list. sadly you made your original post with I beleive a view to bashing this breeder? when all I can see is she acted responsibly,

Mo
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by rune View Post
I would choose and have chosen by colour. I have also refused a dog which was not the colour I wanted.

It wasn't my sole requirement but it was a big part of it.

rune
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I have to agree on that one, I am a brindle girl, if I was looking for a puppy, I would be looking for a breeder how bred Brindle's............BUT thats not to say I woudl turn down another colour, its my preference, but not absolute
Originally Posted by littlewolf View Post
I would think the majority of people wanting a dog have a preference for colour/ coat etc.

I don't think this makes you less of a dog lover, or less worthy of someones pups?
I agree. Of course some people want a particular colour! Just like people want a particular breed!! Freedom of Choice.
Page 4 of 20 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »