View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2009, 04:30 PM
I'm not really bothered being out alone anyway although i'm always cautious and will steer clear of somewhere if I get a feeling about it. The way I see it, i'd never leave the house if I worried about every possibility!

As for my dogs, I know Jessie wouldnt do anything as she is far too timid and small. Jed and Flynn might be a different matter though, especially Flynn, as they both pick up on people who are "out of place" or a bit odd, even though I dont get easily spooked by such people.

So I guess I do feel safer with my dogs as I know they would definately be on guard if a man approached from the bushes towards me in the dark!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Daisy and Shamus are very quick to point out possible dangers, so I think it`s more a case of me protecting the public from my dogs.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2009, 08:59 PM
lovely to hear how your dogs help you when out walking to feel safe. when i've dog sat, i've felt safer walking out at night with a dog than alone. perhaps i wouldn't feel safe with a pom or a chi, but a bigger dog would be a deterrant visually if not through any actions. i don't expect our schnauzer to defend me, but i do think its size (standard) will help just by being there. i get nervous when out alone and hate doing it...
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2009, 09:24 PM
I suffer with panic attacks and anxiety so I can say hand on heart that my big boy gives me the confidence to go out of the house. I do think he would protect me if he had to despite him being a big softy.
My little one.............not a chance!!!!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2009, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Daisy and Shamus are very quick to point out possible dangers, so I think it`s more a case of me protecting the public from my dogs.

Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
I suffer with panic attacks and anxiety so I can say hand on heart that my big boy gives me the confidence to go out of the house. I do think he would protect me if he had to despite him being a big softy.
My little one.............not a chance!!!!
aw, thats lovely how he gives you confidence, i think dogs are amazing how they can do things like that. they can totally change your life, i know jake has changed mine.
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post

aw, thats lovely how he gives you confidence, i think dogs are amazing how they can do things like that. they can totally change your life, i know jake has changed mine.
Your not wrong there! As much as I love my little one I can honestly say that my big boy has changed my life for the better.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2009, 02:22 PM
I feel so totally safe when walking Oliver at night, or anytime. He has a fear aggression issue, and we're working on that, but he'll turn vicious at the drop of a hat if I feel threatened. I found that out when an idiot drunk came out of nowhere (at 4:30 am) and was suddenly at my half open truck window. It scared the heck outa me, and Ollie reacted instantly and lunged across me at the guy, thank goodness he was far enough back that the half open window stopped Ollie's lunge inches from his face, or I woulda' had a nightmare on my hands! The guy was so drunk he didn't even realize the danger he was in and after asking to borrow a lighter, he asked if I could give him a ride!!! dumb F... I told him no, my dog would eat him, and drove off.

So yeah, Ollie may not be a huge dog, (about 20kg) but he's big enough to be a presence, and I totally believe that he would lay down his life to protect me.... but that's not always a good thing. He does stop lunging when I tell him to, but he'll keep on with a low growl for as long as he perceives the threat. Which makes me feel quite safe when walking him at night.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2009, 12:08 PM
wow - good job the window was there!
i've had the staffie i used to walk protect me from a drunk man, feels nice that they know the difference between a safe and dangerous stranger.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2009, 01:24 PM
I feel totally confident when out walking with Tai. As I did with Hal before him. Although both dogs would be very unlikely to defend me were I attacked, they really looked/look the biz, particularly Tai who is massive. I go anywhere and everywhere with him, not thinking twice about walking through the woods in the dark.

Foolish really I suppose, but Tai just exudes confidence, power and control, even though he is really a silly old softy!
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2009, 03:39 PM
Marius, yes - Lola, hmmm not so much!!
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >