Originally Posted by Petticoat View Post
I'm a veggie, I don't even eat fish,
Well, you wouldnt be a veggie if you did

krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I do know of a dog who was on a vegetarian diet, and he dang nearly died, he was in a terrible state with rotten teeth and hair loss.

Dogs need meat - they have the teeth for eating meat and grinding bones, therefore that is what they should eat.

They may be able to "exist" on a plant diet, but they certainly would not thrive or be healthy.

As for cats, absolutely not. They are strictly carniverous and it would be incredibly cruel to feed them on a vegetarian or vegan diet.
I have seen dogs with rotten teeth and missing hair who've been fed on non-vegan diets too though. And we have an account from Kerryowner saying she knows of a vegan dog who lived until 17, so the opposite end of the scale there.
I don't think a meaty kibble is that natural - not to say it can't be balanced and healthy, but if the argument against vegan food is purely "they were made to eat meat" then you could use this argument against anyone feeding dry food - afterall, their teeth are made for tearing meat, not crunching kibble!
I think you can probably get good quality veg*n food and bad quality veg*n food, just like you get good and bad quality "meaty" food and I'm sure it's the quality of the food that has more of an impact on the dog's health than the meat content.
I personally wouldn't feed my dogs veggie/vegan foods but I know lots of people who say they wouldn't feed their dog on something like CSJ because they don't agree with feeding food with a high grain content. Does that make everyone who feeds CSJ wrong/cruel?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I have seen dogs with rotten teeth and missing hair who've been fed on non-vegan diets too though. And we have an account from Kerryowner saying she knows of a vegan dog who lived until 17, so the opposite end of the scale there.
I don't think a meaty kibble is that natural - not to say it can't be balanced and healthy, but if the argument against vegan food is purely "they were made to eat meat" then you could use this argument against anyone feeding dry food - afterall, their teeth are made for tearing meat, not crunching kibble!
I think you can probably get good quality veg*n food and bad quality veg*n food, just like you get good and bad quality "meaty" food and I'm sure it's the quality of the food that has more of an impact on the dog's health than the meat content.
I personally wouldn't feed my dogs veggie/vegan foods but I know lots of people who say they wouldn't feed their dog on something like CSJ because they don't agree with feeding food with a high grain content. Does that make everyone who feeds CSJ wrong/cruel?

Indeed - but we are talking about a vegan diet here for dogs, which means no animal product whatsoever, whether it be flesh, bone, egg, or what. It CANNOT be healthy to feed a dog on a vegan diet - anyone can always find an example of how a totally unhealthy lifestyle seems to pass by some people. We have power of attorney for a splendid old lady who weighs about 6 stone but lived on whisky and fags! She is now 91 and going strong.

So yes, I would say that anyone who feeds their dog on a vegetarian or vegan diet is being cruel.

AND I certainly don't agree with feeding dogs high amounts of grain - I personally feed raw, and whereas I dislike kibble, I wouldn't say that anyone feeding kibble is being cruel.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
Well, you wouldnt be a veggie if you did

Oops-I call myself a vegetarian though I do eat some fish! It's actually called a "piscetarian" (spelling?) eating fish but not meat though I think that sounds rude!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Indeed - but we are talking about a vegan diet here for dogs, which means no animal product whatsoever, whether it be flesh, bone, egg, or what. It CANNOT be healthy to feed a dog on a vegan diet - anyone can always find an example of how a totally unhealthy lifestyle seems to pass by some people. We have power of attorney for a splendid old lady who weighs about 6 stone but lived on whisky and fags! She is now 91 and going strong.

So yes, I would say that anyone who feeds their dog on a vegetarian or vegan diet is being cruel.

AND I certainly don't agree with feeding dogs high amounts of grain - I personally feed raw, and whereas I dislike kibble, I wouldn't say that anyone feeding kibble is being cruel.
But is that not a bit hypocritical? Why is feeding grain OK? That's not really a natural part of a dog's diet.
Why can a vegan diet not be healthy? If humans can manage to make it healthy and balanced then why could it not be made balanced for dogs? It may not contain the usual ingredients of a dog food and it may be supplemented to meet all the nutritional requirements but that's not really any different to lots of the kibbles out there.I doubt that the mere 4% of meat that some companies put in their dog foods provides enough to not require supplementing. Does the addition of some cheap animal fats and derivatives make a diet uncruel?
I'm not saying it's the best, I'm not saying it's natural, I'm not saying I would feed it or recommend it but I don't agree that it couldn't be made balanced or that it would be cruel simply because its vegan. I think it would be more cruel to feed a cheap kibble that doesn't agree with the dog or provide it with everything it needs, full of sugars and fats which contribute to dental disease, obesity, etc. regardless of whether there is meat in it or not.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2011, 12:03 PM
No way no how. I don't think that's appropriate for dogs at ALL (I'm not even sure it's appropriate for humans) and I get really peeved with people who push their lifestyle choices on animals that are essentially carnivores.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2011, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
But is that not a bit hypocritical? Why is feeding grain OK? That's not really a natural part of a dog's diet.
Why can a vegan diet not be healthy? If humans can manage to make it healthy and balanced then why could it not be made balanced for dogs? It may not contain the usual ingredients of a dog food and it may be supplemented to meet all the nutritional requirements but that's not really any different to lots of the kibbles out there.I doubt that the mere 4% of meat that some companies put in their dog foods provides enough to not require supplementing. Does the addition of some cheap animal fats and derivatives make a diet uncruel?
I'm not saying it's the best, I'm not saying it's natural, I'm not saying I would feed it or recommend it but I don't agree that it couldn't be made balanced or that it would be cruel simply because its vegan. I think it would be more cruel to feed a cheap kibble that doesn't agree with the dog or provide it with everything it needs, full of sugars and fats which contribute to dental disease, obesity, etc. regardless of whether there is meat in it or not.
No, I don't think so. I personally would never feed my dogs grain in any shape or form (even the high meat content training treats that I bought for them recently made them fart like troopers due to the cereals in them), but there is a vast difference between feeding a good quality kibble, containing cereals, with a high percentage meat content and feeding a vegan diet. A vegan diet for dogs can never ever ever be healthy for them, they are carnivores with a small c - they have a very small requirement for unrefined carbohydrate - and I am sure there are examples of vegan dogs living a good long life, but that does not mean to say they were healthy.
Beachlover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-04-2011, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
I could not do it to my dog ..
When you see the pleasure he gets out of eating a meaty bone ..
A carrot does not have the same effect on him..
Haha, exactly although I happen to have one at home who does get very excited about carrots

Not saying it's 'abuse' if they're on a vegan diet, but I don't get the logic behind it. You don't go around feeding rabbits steak now do you? So why would you feed your dog only veggies? It's actually kind of upsetting that some people want to force their personal beliefs on dogs despite knowing what's best for them
Even the vegan people I know seem to all be 'underdeveloped' (smaller than most people, skintone is paler, are sicker quicker,...), I just wouldn't want to risk it with my doggies!

They probably can be healthy as vegans with the necessary supplements, but it's still not the same as just giving them what they need as it was intended by nature. The only good reason to ever make your dog a vegan if is he was intolerant to meats, but that would be quite the exception
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4