View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-06-2012, 08:51 AM
you should have to do a 2 day training course before you are allowed to use them lol, good in the right hands but i have not met many who use them correctly including the guy who uses his to walk his large staffie and has never once been able to reel it in including the time i had to tell the idiot to drop the handle when it was wrapped around my dogs leg and it was impossible to remove., the other guy sweeps the park with his on full extension and people seriously have to almost play skipping with it.
Not a fan myself but if it is for medical reasons then i can see why you need to use it.
ailsas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-06-2012, 09:08 AM
I walk my pair on flexi's, Arran has fear aggression and can take a pop at unsuspecting dogs, Ellie loves to chase pigeons and won't come back to me ( her recall is getting better ). On the other hand they are a nightmare if you don't know how to use them properly. Quite a few years ago I was out with my then dog Ailsa and I was talking to a guy who had just taken on a rescue which he was walking on a flexi, it was a foul day chucking it down with rain, the guy held the flexi above his head and the dog ran off, I got the flexi in my gob and as a result I lost quite a few teeth. I had dentist bills of over £300 and I never saw the man again.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2012, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I would only use one for a geriatric or disabled dog.
Yes they can be dangerous.
I`ve had rope burns from other people`s dogs, had my own dogs spooked by a terrified dog being `pursued` by a dropped handle. I`ve heard of dogs being run over when a brake has failed. I`ve seen owners unable to retrieve their own dog in time when they have wandered up to an aggressive dog.
And they should never be used with a collar - always a harness. They can seriously damage the neck if a dog hits the end at a run.
Can`t bear the damn things.
Yes I understand they are useful occasionally. But occasionally. Not instead of training.
What she said. number of times the locking mechanism has failed when I've used flexes in the past.

I don't mind long lines; maybe due to the fact I am very use to working horses, so have little issue reeling and un-reeling.
Parkers
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-06-2012, 09:26 AM
As I don't trust my springers off lead in certain areas, they are on flexi lead.

However, it is attached to their harnesses and I also have a short lead on their collar (ruff wear) which I hold if we are walking pass dogs, sheep etc etc.

At long as they are used sensibly - e.g. in the countryside and not in the towns (especially near roads) and that your dogs are trained not to run full peat.

My springers really enjoy their flexi leads and we never had a problem (touch wood)
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2012, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
It can get quite irratating after a while when you walk past one and the dog at the end chases after yours and then you end up getting tangled up.

Actually that happens a lot people that I have seen with them just don't seem to know how to use them propperly so I'm not much of a fan of flexi's.

I think if a dog is a puller it should be put on a propper lead for better controll.
But this isn't the PRODUCT that is the issue but the person using said product and being totally incompetent.

Any owner with a shred common sense should of course assess whether their dog is a suitable candidate for Flexi lead walking.

My Lab is an example of an excellent candidate for using a Flexi. He never pulls, never lunges, never reacts to anything and will stop immediately.

My Slovak is an example of a candidate who should NEVER be walked on a Flexi. She pulls, lunges and her lead manners can be pretty poor generally. Putting her on a Flexi would be dangerous to me, her and everyone else.

What a shame common sense isn't so common!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-06-2012, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
But this isn't the PRODUCT that is the issue but the person using said product and being totally incompetent.
my own point being that with flexis i have the double worry of potential handler error AND product (mechanical) failure
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2012, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
my own point being that with flexis i have the double worry of potential handler error AND product (mechanical) failure
But mechanical product failure is surely minimized by using the product correctly.

Personally, the Flexi's that I have are around 5 years old and are as good as new. I have never had one break on me, nor any other type of lead for that matter.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2012, 10:00 AM
But mechanical product failure is surely minimized by using the product correctly.

Personally, the Flexi's that I have are around 5 years old and are as good as new. I have never had one break on me, nor any other type of lead for that matter.
Sadly their a number of flexi users who are as you put it incompetant at handling a flexi lead and this is what makes them dangerous to be around.

For me personally I have never seen one used correctly. The dog at the end is usually snappy and the owner doesn't seem to lock it as the small dog manages to pull out in front, I've seen this with almost everyone who has a flexi and untill this thread arrived I never thought their was a lock option on the lead o.0
dog collar
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-06-2012, 10:31 AM
I've always got awful rope burn from them! Only use them for teaching recall/stay as I find they cause the dog to pull as cannot distinguish between short & long lead.

www.planetbowwow.co.uk
Designer Dog Accessories

Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
If used correctly I dont have a problem with them
personally I am way to clumsy for a long line so I much prefer them
Havent used one for a while now tho as I just take Mia to places where she can be totaly offlead

They do bloomin hurt when they catch on your leg tho!!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-06-2012, 10:52 AM
no, mechanical failure is mechanical failure. I can drive my car carefully but it can still break down for various reasons. unlike a lead, the user is one stage away from the pulley. Thus if a user can be unreliable, you would want his hands to be the first and only mechanism for r
Rapid response, same as when pushing a pram.
I have had lead and flexis fail or break
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >