Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
ts the bloody Copy & pasters that get me the most. The exaggeraters make me laugh.

Both can generally be spotted & will trip themselves up!
ts the bloody Copy & pasters that get me the most. The exaggeraters make me laugh.

Both can generally be spotted & will trip themselves up!

What are you getting at Mish
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 02:33 PM
I must admit that I tend to talk to the same people and they are the ones that I feel are honest and genuine. It's disappointing when you do come across a liar or exaggerator as it is unnecessary and pointless to make up stuff. Life is crazy enough at times without having to make stuff up. Blimey, sometimes I have wished my life didn't resemble an episode of Eastenders!!
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
I must admit that I tend to talk to the same people and they are the ones that I feel are honest and genuine. It's disappointing when you do come across a liar or exaggerator as it is unnecessary and pointless to make up stuff. Life is crazy enough at times without having to make stuff up. Blimey, sometimes I have wished my life didn't resemble an episode of Eastenders!!
Jest nit, my family resembles a soap opera at times - more like the US soaps. Whats the saying, "You can choose your friends, but not your fanily"!!!!!
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by Blu View Post
I would be hopeless at lying on forums because I would forget what I had said

I don't tend to be suspicious of people on forums until I start to notice small mistakes in stuff they say. I had my doubts about someone on another forum because alot of the things they said didn't add up and eventually they posted saying they had lied about everything.

This is me too! Can barely keep my real life straight, always messing up the kids arrangements etc. really couldn't manage a double life!

And I'm always the last to spot the inconsistencies, partly because I have such a bad memory so I'm usually completely surprised when a troll is finally outed.

There was a really nasty/sad case on a parenting forum I was on when my kids were small. Someone who claimed to have had a series of miscarriages, she got loads of support and sympathy and members even clubbed together to send her flowers and stuff. But over time people came to realise that her dates just didn't add up and it all turned out to be a big lie from someone sad and attention seeking.

You get them in every on-line community.

J.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Yet on forums they expect to be taken seriously,I just wondered what makes people do this sort of thing ?
God knows, boredom, ego who knows, but its sad and in some cases dangerous

Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
This is something I have actually seen too, I have often thought that ''some'' people try to make thier lives seem ''thrilling'' ''impressive'' ''important'' and seem to like the thought of being ''noticed''

Personally I agree with my husband anyone can tell you whatever and you will never know......but you know what I truely believe, you can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can not fool All of the people all of the time..

Pity they don;t realise that

Agree with you both .... I am afraid, as someone who does not beleive anything until I feel its true, to many holes in to many stories, and being a cynical old so and so, I pick my way through them.

That's the trouble you need to remember what you posted and where LOL!

This was concerning dogs and that's why I continued reading and searching and oh boy this person has a hell of alot of experience with different breeds,poodles,beagles,huskies,dalmatians,malamute s,poms,dobes,rotties as well as claiming to breed several different breeds,be a dog trainer,behavourist, oh and a cat breeder too

All at such a young age,obviously they lead a very busy lifestyle and must have more than 24 hours in one day :lol:
I know who you are talking about and thankfully in the latest case a serious tragedy was prevented.

I have no problem with people inventing themselves on the net..its a bit sad , and rather funny in some cases..but as with this one could have ended up badly.

unfortunately I am also surprised how many are taken in by some that are nto what they say.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 03:58 PM
I think a lot of it is down to attention and simply that.

And sometimes the lies get bigger and bigger the more attention they get. Or in other cases the subject of the lies is one which is prominent on a particular forum

There are IMO 2 "main" types of liers, those like the Romanian princess who invent a whole persona and to them its probably all a laugh, who knows why, perhaps they don't like who they are, perhaps they want attention from people believing their stories and asking questions etc.

Then there are those who infiltrate a forum and then lie to get attention perhaps saying their family or pets are ill, as they have already become a firm member people tend to believe them and give out friendship or advice or in some cases financial help etc, those are dangerous people as the next time someone genuine needs help or has a similar situation the help might not be so freely offered, which is a crying shame when the case is genuine.

I guess on forums we can all be who we want to be, say what we want to say, and act in any manner within the forum guidelines; people will act how they see fit, with kindness, with compassion, with suspicion or with indifference. ...

... None of those actions is wrong but the person creating persona or spinning lies is most definitely wrong IMO.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

23-05-2010, 05:11 PM
I just wondered what makes people do this sort of thing ?
A number of things I'd imagine.
  • Sometimes people lie to cover up something stupid they did.
  • Sometimes people like to hoodwink or trick others for self-interest (greed?)
  • Sometimes people like because they like stirring up trouble between others (usually down to insecurity)
  • Sometimes people like/try to find a scapegoat to dig themselves out of a whole that they dug for themselves.

We can often find a reason - but it doesn't make it ok, people shouldn't lie but face up to things instead, imo...
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

23-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by Emma View Post
at the end of the day if they lie on a forum with deliberate intent they can upset us all but really they are only a stone thrown in the water they sink to the bottom and the ripples eventually fade, and they aren't as effective as they think they are, if people show compassion to them and it is a lie, it is not the ones who have shown the beauty of human kindness that are the fools it is the ones who let down human nature and showed one side that is not the nicest, but one that is there all the same that will rear it s ugly head at some point.
What a beautiful and accurate summing up of those who seek to decieve.

Those who lie will get their just rewards at some point whether we are around to see it or not.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I know who you are talking about and thankfully in the latest case a serious tragedy was prevented.

I have no problem with people inventing themselves on the net..its a bit sad , and rather funny in some cases..but as with this one could have ended up badly.

unfortunately I am also surprised how many are taken in by some that are nto what they say.
I was shown the 'truth' about that person!
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by Blu View Post
I had my doubts about someone on another forum because alot of the things they said didn't add up and eventually they posted saying they had lied about everything.
That may have been the same one I was involved in Blu. Person caught out finally because they started posting pics of a supposedly new puppy they had just got, but pics were years old and nicked off a public photo uploading site. Also had doubts as said person emigrated to a country then posted pics of breeds of animals I KNEW did not exist there, in fact some of person's pets - alledged to have gone along on the emigration - were illegal in that country. The apology and admission was part of conditions imposed by mods to allow person back on that site.

I've met people like that in real life though as well, full of hot air. It doesn't take much to see through them eventually.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >