register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pete
Almost a Veteran

29-01-2005, 06:04 PM
if i were you tom iwouldnt limit yourself to Surrey or Devonshire areas and look to travel anywere for the right dog.
tombotha
Dogsey Junior

29-01-2005, 06:06 PM
[quote="Archer"]
Originally Posted by tom
Originally Posted by Archer
Some of the Staffs on http://www.cosmos-staffords.co.uk/index.html are absolutely gorgeous, especially Mason, Blue and Blue Charlie. those are the sort of dogs im after looks wise, I prefer the slight more leggy appearance.
Tom...
Yes some lovely dogs HOWEVER I will say to you note the difference in type of these dogs...they come in many shapes and sizes and hence if buying from somewhere like this(and I'm not saying theres anything wrong in it) you MUST be prepared to take pot luck as to what your pup turns out like.Mum and dad may be the ones you like but when a kennel produces differing types as this one does it is obvuious that their stock does not breed true to type and hence the pup may be completely different.
Do any of the KC breeders breed the slightly bigger dogs? Or will their always be this kind of inconsistency with dogs outside the KC size regulations?
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2005, 06:10 PM
Tom
is there any chance of you getting to crufts? It is the best place to see hundreds of staffs and see which KC reg 'lines' you like.You can talk to owners,meet the dogs and learn all you need!
tombotha
Dogsey Junior

29-01-2005, 06:14 PM
Tom
is there any chance of you getting to crufts? It is the best place to see hundreds of staffs and see which KC reg 'lines' you like.You can talk to owners,meet the dogs and learn all you need!
Im sure I could, thats a great idea! When exactly is the show held?
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2005, 06:16 PM
i personally like the irish staffies or leggier staffs.
im sure laura will be along soon to recommend some breeders? or any kc staffie people who could recommend leggier lines?
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2005, 06:41 PM
Tom
its held at the NEC in Birmingham.Terriers are on Thursday the 10 March.Approx 320 staffys were entered last year.This years figures have not been released yet but it will be about the same amount! If you buy a catalogue when you get there you can look at the affixs of the dogs you like and see which dog has sired them.
tombotha
Dogsey Junior

29-01-2005, 06:55 PM
Tom
its held at the NEC in Birmingham.Terriers are on Thursday the 10 March.Approx 320 staffys were entered last year.This years figures have not been released yet but it will be about the same amount! If you buy a catalogue when you get there you can look at the affixs of the dogs you like and see which dog has sired them.
That great, thanks alot Archer you have been a real help
CBT
Dogsey Senior

29-01-2005, 06:58 PM
sorry but wanting a game dog does not mean that you want to fight the dog or use it for digging pigs

my dogs are "game" bred in that their ansestors were fighting and pig dogs, that doesnt mean thats what I want to use them for, it just means I appreciate those qualities which make a dog resilient and fiesty, I wish people wouldnt always jump to conclusions when they hear the word "game" mentioned

Wanting a dog bred from game lines does not make you a bad person, nor does it mean the dog will be aggressive either towatrd people or other dogs, in fact dogs used for fighting had to be handled without biting their owner or anyone else, so please think before you type, Tom has decided he likes that type of dog, good for him, and if he wants a dog bred from those lines, good for him too, he has made a good choice IMO.

Tom if you want to chat about dogs PM me, If I can help I will

PS I think laura is having a long weekend away, so youll have to make do with me instead
pete
Almost a Veteran

29-01-2005, 07:06 PM
please correct me if im wrong but doesnt the word game mean its willingness to fight another dog ,meaning dog agressive
CBT
Dogsey Senior

29-01-2005, 07:08 PM
to explain a little more :

gameness means these qualities :

determination
athletic ability
stamina
soundness
non - agression towards humans
boldness of spirit
athletic ability
muscle and strength

When dogs are bred for these qualities before looks, the resulting dogs are usually very healthy animals. Their colour/height etc are not of any importance which they would be if bred for showing alone. it is worth noting that pitbulls can be one of the most loyal loving and best family dogs, if trained and raised correctly, yes, even dogs from fighting stock will make excellent family pets, just go on to some of the american sites and see for yourself the pics of dogs cuddled up with kids and snuggled up to cats and other dogs, if its possible with this breed, then its possible with any breed of dog.
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »