Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by wallaroo View Post
I still haven't made a decision! I was wondering about getting a cheap one like the easy leader of something, just to see if he will tolerate wearing it?
Rather than try different designs to see which one he tolerates, pick the best design and introduce it slowly. Introduced gradually, like a muzzle, and the chances are that he'll be fine with it unless it's really uncomfortable/painful. Plonking one on and hoping he likes *may* work but chances are he's going to wonder what this strange thing is and perhaps try to get it off.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

14-01-2011, 12:19 PM
I find very few dogs tolerate headcollars, I don't believe their heads are really the right shape for it. Compare a horses profile to a dogs, too concave in the dog!

I prefer to use a prong if you have trouble holding the dog or teach the dog to walk with you with a remote collar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hPKz5fGwPk

Adam
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
I find very few dogs tolerate headcollars, I don't believe their heads are really the right shape for it. Compare a horses profile to a dogs, too concave in the dog!

I prefer to use a prong if you have trouble holding the dog or teach the dog to walk with you with a remote collar.

Adam
And compare a horse's headcollar to a dog's headcollar. Different shapes made for different profiles. Theoretically, a dog's neck and horse's neck aren't that different in shape so by your theory, maybe horse riders should ditch headcollars in favour for prong collars or e-collars?

Generally dogs that don't tolerate headcollars haven't been introduced to them properly/slowly enough. There are dogs that don't tolerate collars if they haven't grown up wearing one, but for safety's sake they're introduced to one, so it's not exactly a very valid pro- prong/e-collar argument.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2011, 12:47 PM

Adam

ADAM - I'd agree that most dogs or all would probably rather not wear headcollars. But they'd also rather not wear regular collars and leads too...

I see numerous dogs in my area, all with various headcollars on, all trotting along beside their owners, tails wagging. My own dog included. I would never use a prong collar - they hurt the dog.

A correctly fitted headcollar, a 'fixed action' one, such as the Dogmatic, does not harm nor hurt the dog and can enable a walk to be a positive and downright safer experience for all concerned - including nearby motorists, children and other dog owners
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

14-01-2011, 12:56 PM
Is your dog any better on the lead than when you first came on?

Adam
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2011, 01:06 PM
Is your dog any better on the lead than when you first came on?

Adam
I've used headcollars on several dogs, and all dogs have improved on-lead just by using a headcollar (even when the headcollar is removed and lead attached to collar), as they automatically learn to walk to my side. Headcollars are only training aids though and generally you'd want to do loose lead training alongside, not just rely on the headcollar to fix the dog.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2011, 01:26 PM
KRLYR is spot on.

We know that every time a dog lunges at another dog, for example, he gets an adrenaline rush. It's a self perpetuating behaviour, easily becomes a habit.

Now when I walk Dexter, he simply cannot do it and the more he doesn't do it, and the more he gets praised and rewarded for calm behaviour, the weaker that habit of lunging becomes.

Along with training of course.

Dexter walks to heel beautifully - until he sees
- another dog
- an umbrella
- a horse
- a cat
- a squirrel
- certain men
- anyone carrying anything

- and various other triggers

He spent the first year of his life being allowed to leap and lunge at these triggers. It's going to take time for me to help him unlearn this pattern. Meanwhile, I thank heavens for the Dogmatic headcollar.

I'd rather use a headcollar any day, then either an e-collar or a prong collar.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-01-2011, 01:29 PM

Adam
Adam what is the difference between a remote collar and an e collar, I think they are the same correct me if I am wrong. I they are the same is this a new euphemism to disguise the mention of e collars?

The person in the video is using a Dogtra E collar , are you still using Dogsey to promote the use of e collars?
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

14-01-2011, 01:34 PM
They are using a dogtra with a pager function, so maybe using stim but mostly page.

This vid is all page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGemS...3F25E&index=26

I use the term remote collar for one that does both to avoid confusion.

Adam
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-01-2011, 01:36 PM
They are using a dogtra with a pager function, so maybe using stim but mostly page.

This vid is all page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGemSmnPAqY&playnext=1&list=PL2995847EE663 F25E&index=26

I use the term remote collar for one that does both to avoid confusion.

Adam
Adam I think you are trying to cause confusion and you have been doing so in previous threads.

I think you are slyly promoting e collars hoping people will not notice
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »