Oh dear..

Well it went well yesterday and then not so good today.. That's very normal

Just keep trying

J
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-11-2005, 10:08 PM
Although I wonder what on earth happened because Fern has been a right pain in the behind today - he wouldn't LISTEN to a single command when I took him to the park today - I spent 30 minutes, yes 30 minutes trying to offer him treats to get him to return to me, and he wasn't having any of it - afterall the man blowing the leaves off the path was far more interesting than a mere treat
All part of having a puppy good days and bad days.I had a day like that today with Finn 2 new dogs at the park were more interesting than Star and me.

Just wait until Fern is perfect with his commands and you have to try them out at classes in front of everyone and he pretends he does not understand you
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2005, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by maplecottage
Thanks guys for your kind comments.

Although I wonder what on earth happened because Fern has been a right pain in the behind today - he wouldn't LISTEN to a single command when I took him to the park today - I spent 30 minutes, yes 30 minutes trying to offer him treats to get him to return to me, and he wasn't having any of it - afterall the man blowing the leaves off the path was far more interesting than a mere treat

I swear I did everything by the book, no chasing, or yelling but bribery and it just didn't work ARGHHHHHH, and he's been a total nightmare tonight as well!!!!!

So I'm treating myself to a glass of red wine just to escape the dog who left his ears behind at the vets!!!

Foxy, your Sabre sounded like an angel, I swear I would give anything just to see Fern frightened of one damn thing.....but noooooo he thinks he can control the world I tell you we have good days and days where we just want to tear our hair out... today was one of them...

Bring on the wine

No Sabre didn't stay an Angel for long MC - he got very cocky when his hormones kicked in and all the dogs knew their place when he was around He was okay with them as long as they didn't threaten him at all but if they did...............

He did get better when he was older though although sadly we lost him soon after
Claire&Jay
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-11-2005, 04:54 PM
MC glad you and Fern had a good time at your class. We took Bear today for the first time and the instructer smacked him when he was barking at the other dogs arriving.....even though they were all barking as they came down the lane!!!!! Don't know that i want to go back but we had to pay upfront. She did talk some sense but i just don't like her methods. Oh well least your Fern did you proud. Well done Fern.xx
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2005, 05:55 PM
Hi Claire

That doesn't sound very good at all, she shouldn't be slapping your dog for barking! Oh dear

Where in Kent are you? I'd be happy to recommend my trainer in Kent if it would help any?
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2005, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by Claire&Jay
MC glad you and Fern had a good time at your class. We took Bear today for the first time and the instructer smacked him when he was barking at the other dogs arriving.....even though they were all barking as they came down the lane!!!!! Don't know that i want to go back but we had to pay upfront. She did talk some sense but i just don't like her methods. Oh well least your Fern did you proud. Well done Fern.xx
If you feel that the methods are unreasonable or just don't suite your dog i'd forget the money and not go...next time ask to watch a session before joining - many good clubs will allow you to participate in a session and then decide whether you want to come again If they are unwilling to let you do this i'd say they were in it for the money and not for the good of your dog - know which i'd prefer! Not to mention if anyone did that to my dog i'd be likely to smack them back!

Hazel xxx
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2005, 09:05 PM
Clare- you must have been outraged if the trainer hit your dog - how dare she?

MC aw Fern sounds just like Loki, knows it all but chooses if and when he does it . Don't worry about it, it's just a bit of puppy spirit. He did really well at puppy class. Well done!
Claire&Jay
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-11-2005, 11:37 AM
Hi MC i'm in the Rochester area.
I was so gobsmacked that i didn't do anything but when i got home i wanted to kill the woman!!! I didn't tell you what she did to the black lab that was trying to hump another dog did i? Well shr did no more than kick him!!!! The woman is pure evil Luckily i paid by cheque and i went to the bank earlier and cancelled it.xx
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2005, 11:54 AM
Claire, is the woman registered with the association of pet dog trainers or any other such body? if she is report her, if she isnt - next time make sure your trainer is
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2005, 02:16 PM
OMG it gets worse! Glad you cancelled your cheque but I would complain to someone if at all possible.

Evil, nasty piece of work.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >