View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-12-2006, 07:14 PM
I have had only 1 attempted break in came home to window open and blood all over the inside, not from the dog. When I was completing an Appropriate Adult at the station I told the desk sargeant and some other officers they just thought it was funny and said they would not back any complaint by an intruder if they didnt try to come in they wouldnt get bit. I dont have a sign as have always been told if you state you have a guard dog then someone as to be on the premises 24hrs, I do have a sign of a GSD with my house number on plus all the local scroats know I have dogs running free and dont even come up the path. The incident I mentioned was when I was away they thought the dogs were in kennels but my daughter was at home. One incident that happened to me just after the DDA came out was; I was coming off the fields at night when 1 of the dogs looked around there was a man coming up behind me and another one in front hiding in a bush, I threatened to release the dogs and they ran off. When I asked the police if I would of been prosecuted they said no if I felt I was in Danger of my life then I could of set the dogs on the two men to allow me to escape. The way I see it they should not be in your garden, I dont check my back garden before letting the dogs out, people shouldnt be in it and in fact 1 dog unlocks the door if the key is in it and lets himself out. I also have fire thorn all around the boundries against the fence.
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-12-2006, 07:28 PM
What happens if my pet dog bites an intruder in my house?

This will depend on the exact circumstances of the incident. The following should be used as a guide only for possible scenarios as each case will be considered individually.

- if you set your dog onto an intruder and the person suffers injury then you may face prosecution and the the court could order the dog to be kept under control/destroyed (dangerous dog not under control)
- if an intruder breaks in whilst you are out and is attacked by the dog then it is unlikely that you would face the need to defend a possible court order.

There is also civil liability to consider in any damage that your dog may cause. It should be noted that most dogs will simply bark at an intruder but will not follow with a physical attack.
http://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q524.htm

Fence panels can be secured by affixing a screw to the wood adjacent to each concrete post, leaving them slightly proud and then tie and wind strong wire across the two adjacent screws (picture wire is quite good for this). It is best to put the screws at the bottom of the panels as the bas***ds won't be able to cut the wire.

The tops of the panels can be protected using prickler strips. These go by other names eg Prikla strip, prikka strip.

http://www.insight-security.com/per-prickler.htm

These don't cut or spike any one but makes it damn painful to try to climb over it.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2006, 08:09 PM
when useing cctv its a good idea to have 14 tapes, two for each day, am/pm often people use the same tape back to back and dont notice something, and by the time they do the tape has been taped over, mark each tape monday am monday pm and so on that way it gives you 7 days. if you notice something wrong you can go back and view tapes.
The other reason being, if the chap is making regular visits, you can then produce tapes as evidence of more than one attempt in one week, if you do notice something on the tape keep it and make sure you have a few spare tapes.

To be honest from what you have said he does not fit the profile of a burgler, it sounds more like a stalker than a burgler, have you any idea who the man is? to have made so many appearances in 2 weeks smacks of intimidation, or stalking,
Stalkers can be whacky in what they do, people assume stalking is only about the desire to have a relashionship with someone very often its far from that,
Some steal clothing from lines others garbage from your bin, so a scooter could be viable, either that or hes just plain daft. Not wanting to scare you but be aware of personal safety when out in the car and streets and so on.
X shona X
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2006, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by wildmoor View Post
I have had only 1 attempted break in came home to window open and blood all over the inside, not from the dog. When I was completing an Appropriate Adult at the station I told the desk sargeant and some other officers they just thought it was funny and said they would not back any complaint by an intruder if they didnt try to come in they wouldnt get bit. I dont have a sign as have always been told if you state you have a guard dog then someone as to be on the premises 24hrs, I do have a sign of a GSD with my house number on plus all the local scroats know I have dogs running free and dont even come up the path. The incident I mentioned was when I was away they thought the dogs were in kennels but my daughter was at home. One incident that happened to me just after the DDA came out was; I was coming off the fields at night when 1 of the dogs looked around there was a man coming up behind me and another one in front hiding in a bush, I threatened to release the dogs and they ran off. When I asked the police if I would of been prosecuted they said no if I felt I was in Danger of my life then I could of set the dogs on the two men to allow me to escape. The way I see it they should not be in your garden, I dont check my back garden before letting the dogs out, people shouldnt be in it and in fact 1 dog unlocks the door if the key is in it and lets himself out. I also have fire thorn all around the boundries against the fence.
Oh my.. that must have shaken you up a bit. So glad that everything turned out for you and your dogs..

Originally Posted by royv View Post
http://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q524.htm

Fence panels can be secured by affixing a screw to the wood adjacent to each concrete post, leaving them slightly proud and then tie and wind strong wire across the two adjacent screws (picture wire is quite good for this). It is best to put the screws at the bottom of the panels as the bas***ds won't be able to cut the wire.

The tops of the panels can be protected using prickler strips. These go by other names eg Prikla strip, prikka strip.

http://www.insight-security.com/per-prickler.htm

These don't cut or spike any one but makes it damn painful to try to climb over it.
Thanks Roy, I'll be showing hubby this when he's feeling a bit better. The wiring on the base of the fence makes sense and may just hold since they are lying on top of concrete bases so to speak.. certainly worth a try..

Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
when useing cctv its a good idea to have 14 tapes, two for each day, am/pm often people use the same tape back to back and dont notice something, and by the time they do the tape has been taped over, mark each tape monday am monday pm and so on that way it gives you 7 days. if you notice something wrong you can go back and view tapes.
The other reason being, if the chap is making regular visits, you can then produce tapes as evidence of more than one attempt in one week, if you do notice something on the tape keep it and make sure you have a few spare tapes.

To be honest from what you have said he does not fit the profile of a burgler, it sounds more like a stalker than a burgler, have you any idea who the man is? to have made so many appearances in 2 weeks smacks of intimidation, or stalking,
Stalkers can be whacky in what they do, people assume stalking is only about the desire to have a relashionship with someone very often its far from that,
Some steal clothing from lines others garbage from your bin, so a scooter could be viable, either that or hes just plain daft. Not wanting to scare you but be aware of personal safety when out in the car and streets and so on.
X shona X

LOL.. no hun, think he's defo just after the bike!!! You have a valid point though and it could be a worry and certainly food for thought Thanks
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

16-12-2006, 09:18 PM
My sign just says "Dogs running free, do not enter" I don't have a dog now but haven't taken down the sign I also had one with a Belgian's head on it which said "I can make it to the gate in 10 seconds, Can You?" Trouble with that was the local kids would ring the door bell just to see if the Belgian could get there in 10 seconds. Kath
PS. He could, and did.
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2006, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
My sign just says "Dogs running free, do not enter" I don't have a dog now but haven't taken down the sign I also had one with a Belgian's head on it which said "I can make it to the gate in 10 seconds, Can You?" Trouble with that was the local kids would ring the door bell just to see if the Belgian could get there in 10 seconds. Kath
PS. He could, and did

little tykes.
You just reminded me of when Luke first arrived, the lovely little darlings would dance up and down on the front making him bark.. They thought it was hillarious until I photographed them one day and posted the pic through their parents door. Soon stopped em
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2006, 12:05 AM
Update:

I'm still non the wiser where I stand regarding the dogs attacking an intruder so to speak as it does seem to be a very 'grey' area. The one thing the law has stipulated however, is that if someone enters our property and we are there, order dogs to attack, or set dogs onto them, then we WILL be prosecuted.

So with that, we have started getting the extra security measures in place (ie. the strips along the fence, wire fixing panels and an alarm for the back gate).

The good news is, all has been quiet I think the follow up visit by our intruder was to see if the bike was in fact still here, and as it isn't... well there's nowt for him to take!

Sorted!

Thank You to all of you for your help and support.. You've been a great support to me during this time, and I just wanted to say Thanks
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-12-2006, 12:15 AM
I am so shocked reading this! That theif has got some front hasn't he.

I'd ask the community policeman about the situation with the dogs.

I know if someone was trying to steal anything from my house, or trying to break in I would let Georgie do his stuff on them Georgie does bark at strange noises, and he would certainly bark if he heard someone in my garden. I couldn't be 100% on what he would do if I was put in that situation though.
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2006, 12:24 AM
Originally Posted by teenytiny View Post
I am so shocked reading this! That theif has got some front hasn't he.

I'd ask the community policeman about the situation with the dogs.

I know if someone was trying to steal anything from my house, or trying to break in I would let Georgie do his stuff on them Georgie does bark at strange noises, and he would certainly bark if he heard someone in my garden. I couldn't be 100% on what he would do if I was put in that situation though.
The advice I posted above, is what the community police officer said and also the law centre

As for the dogs barking, they didn't, maybe because the fence panels had been rattling all day in the wind and so they wouldn't have thought anything was amiss.. We're stopping that now though, so again we're OK now
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2006, 01:58 AM
Hi, so glad its gone quiet,
given a bit more thought to the situation and I dont know why it never occured to me before, The little git could be stealing to order. Its quite common in Glasgow, its like career thiefs, most being ruddy good at it, people tell them what they want and they go pinch it,
poss someone wanted it for a xmas pressie and yours seemed the easy option, or there is not many in your area,
He may have relised that he was gona get nabbed and had to go somewhere else, bet you dont get any more bother now, would be intresting to know if one has went missing in your area since the last time you had a visit from him, would more or less confirm hes stealing for people who pre order., ...... or he owes money to someone prob for drugs and cant pay it so they make a deal like you get me this I will wave the dept. the lifes some folk lead eh, shocking
X shona X
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4