Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

29-03-2007, 12:45 AM
Originally Posted by knottybabe View Post
i just found out that a bichon frise started out as a cross between a poodle and a Italian Spinone
That's what miffs be about anti cross (when there's a reasonable idea) people. Many would accept a BF but frown over the pre-cross.
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-03-2007, 07:34 AM
That's what miffs be about anti cross (when there's a reasonable idea) people. Many would accept a BF but frown over the pre-cross
I have to say I don't frown at crossbreeds They happen all the time and I used to own a GSD x Border Collie. I think peoples' concerns are, that with the huge numer of pedigree breeds already available, why start trying to make another one? The Labradoodle was started as a non shedding dog for alergy sufferers. This has been proved untrue in a lot of cases. So why keep breeding them and, more importantly, WHY the massive price tag? If you want something that looks like most peoples' idea of a labradoodle - get a Spanish Water Dog! If you want something that doesn't shed - get a Poodle! There really is no NEED to try and create any more new breeds. So many people are obsessed with whether they COULD create a new breed that it over-rides the SHOULD they create one. I think it's this that gets up peoples' noses

Debs

(BTW, Bichons descended from the Barbet, or water spaniel.)
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2007, 07:43 AM
I have nothing against people wanting to create a new breed but they must have some sort of aim in mind and, of course, a standard detailing what the dog should be like. Health checks goes without saying!
Sadly with all these crosses the aim isn't to create a new breed but to make money. I've yet to come across anyone, or even a group of people, who are serious about genuinely creating a new breed such as the labradoodle. Most are first crosses, that isn't a breed that's a cross.
Becky
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2007, 09:39 AM
I think the problem is that anyone out to make money will cross a poodle and a labrador, knowing they can charge £700+ for puppies by calling them labradoodles.

Yes, most dogs came from some sort of cross, but it was done with the intention of creating a new/better dog for specific purposes.

As Debs said, if you want a dog that doesn't shed get a poodle, you don't need a cross-breed specially bred for that!
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-03-2007, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
I think the problem is that anyone out to make money will cross a poodle and a labrador, knowing they can charge £700+ for puppies by calling them labradoodles.

Yes, most dogs came from some sort of cross, but it was done with the intention of creating a new/better dog for specific purposes.

As Debs said, if you want a dog that doesn't shed get a poodle, you don't need a cross-breed specially bred for that!
Each to his/her own I say... plenty of established breeds being over bred... and there are a few breeds with KC breed standards that leave a lot to be desired (thats another argument though) As far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter if its a Labradoodle or a cockadoodledo ... if it's bred with proper health checks etc etc and with all the other usual good breeder ethics in mind... then I have no problem with someone creating a new breed... as said earlier .. they were all new breeds at one time.. so if we used the "fashion" argument in the past then probably none of us would have dogs
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-03-2007, 10:08 AM
if it's bred with proper health checks etc etc and with all the other usual good breeder ethics in mind... then I have no problem with someone creating a new breed... as said earlier .. they were all new breeds at one time.. so if we used the "fashion" argument in the past then probably none of us would have dogs
Yes but, as has been previously said, most breeds were created with a clear purpose in mind and not just to breed yet more dogs to add to the already heaving popluation. I agree there are unscrupulous breeders of pedigree breeds but that is a whole other topic. Until people stop crossing labs with poodles the labradoodle will never be a breed - it'll be just another cross breed.

What I don't understand is why people are against breed standards because (according to some) it encourages breeders to breed purely for looks, but those same people seem to be all for a new so-called breed being bred purely because people want that look? What's the difference?

Debs
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-03-2007, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by IanTaylor View Post
Each to his/her own I say... plenty of established breeds being over bred... and there are a few breeds with KC breed standards that leave a lot to be desired (thats another argument though) As far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter if its a Labradoodle or a cockadoodledo ... if it's bred with proper health checks etc etc and with all the other usual good breeder ethics in mind... then I have no problem with someone creating a new breed... as said earlier .. they were all new breeds at one time.. so if we used the "fashion" argument in the past then probably none of us would have dogs
Amen to that!
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

29-03-2007, 10:14 AM
I am one of those who think that there are enough established breeds without going on to create these so called designer dogs if you want X breed go to the rescue center and give a home to a really needy dog don't pay money to these people who have jumped on the band waggon and are making a fortune out of what is at the end of the day a cross breed. I am not saying there is anything wrong with x breeds, I am merely saying that there are enough unwanted dogs around wwithout creating more and who when they go out of fashion will probaby end up in rescue. Most of these breeders do not have health checks done they are merely in it for the money. That is my opinion for what its worth.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-03-2007, 10:18 AM
The Labradoodle was aimed at the idea of it not casting... obvioulsy that takes time... I'm sure most, if not all, our breeds took time to reach the aims... My point is that as long as they are breeding responsibly then what does it matter if it's a new breed... If the breeders of these dogs were stopped from breeding them, then they would simply breed something else.. still adding to the dog population... and if someone wants to spend there money on a Labradoodle then why can't they.. otherwize they would prob go get a lab or somat else... again adding to the population... I'm sure the owners of some of the more recently established breeds would take offence to their dogs being frowned upon... best we have a go at bad breeders of all dogs... new and old.. rather than having a pop at something just coz it doesn't suit our ideals...
And just to add... a Labradoodle where I live.. costs about the same as a labrador

Each to his own I say
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-03-2007, 12:03 PM
The Labradoodle was aimed at the idea of it not casting... obvioulsy that takes time...
Labradoodles moult.

First crosses are the least likely to moult but some will still moult because you are crossing a shedding breed (Labrador) with a non-shedding breed (poodle).

The further down the generations you go, the more likely you are to get moulting dogs which is why they continue to produce first crosses rather than breed labradoodle to labradoodle as the whole type changes. The 4th gen dog that I know bears NO resemblance at all to the more popular 1st crosses (and, as stated before, he moults like any other shedding breed). A standard will never be 'established' as the preference, and therefore the majority of dogs bred, appears to be for the look and possible coat-type of the first crosses.

The argument that Labradoodles are being bred to develop a new non-shedding breed does not carry any weight whatsoever. There are already many breeds that do not moult and they come in all shapes and sizes!!

So, given that breeding labradoodle to labradoodle produces dogs that are as likely to shed as any other, I cannot see what possible purpose there is behind breeding them. Apart from the obvious one...

And I would like to say that I am not a member of the 'anti-cross' brigade...just have a look at my 'breeds owned' at the top of this post Like many others, I am against the indiscriminate breeding of any dogs to feed a fashion trend and to line the pockets of unscrupulous 'breeders'.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >