Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-01-2011, 07:22 PM
I'm so very sorry what a tragic thing to happen
and how awful for you OH to come home to

I would definitely take him and get him checked at the Vets, but how will you ever trust him again? i know i couldn't, especially as you say he ripped her throat out i'm inclined to agree with BD

Poor Bessie Run Free at the Bridge sweet girl

Jann xx
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 07:22 PM
What an absolutely horrific thing to happen, especially within your own home.

I dont think i'd be able to look at my dog in the same way if one of them killed another in the 'pack'.

Jessie often attacks Jed, draws blood too, so I have to be careful with the situations I leave them (back of the car is the common place she attacks) but I just dont know how i'd feel if she killed him.

I have no advice except to echo what others have said about taking Danny to the vets. I am so sorry for you.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 07:27 PM
I am so sorry, I really cannot imagine coming home to that.

I have to say that I would personally have the dog PTS. Rehoming a dog that has killed a cat and another dog will not be easy, namely because there are plenty of dogs out there that have done neither.

If you decide to keep him, you then have the practical issue of managing a multi-dog household when you have a dog that has killed another. Whether constant vigilance/crating/supervising is viable for you, I don't know.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 07:32 PM
I am so sorry xxxxx If it were me I wouldn't have Danny pts. You know your boy better than we do xxxxxxx
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
I would never leave "big"dogs together unsupervised, mine are all crated separately. The Cavaliers can be safely left together.

All my dogs get on well, however if I am not there I do not have any control over what may happen if say someone tried to enter my house-one of them had a fit(not that any of mine have)etc

I certainly would never leave a lurcher alone unsecured with another dog/cat etc
How is this reply helpful? "i wouldnt do this or that" is not really important right now.

Im sorry for what happened. I would definately get danny checked out at the vets as a priority.
Its possible she may have had a fit that caused the attack. When i lived at home we had a GSD x rott, she had her first fit in the early hours of the morning when she was in the kitchen with our male terrier. The commotion woke the household up, but he was really attacking her and she had some major injuries from the attack.

Its easy to say i would have my dog pts if one of them killed another, but i dont think it really is that easy...especially as there werent any warning signs that you noticed and the fact he is a male...males generally dont inflict as much damage as bitches do (just IME)

Are your dogs neutered or entire? (all of them)

edit: also, on what you have said- i dont think you should make the total assumption that it was just him involved.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 07:35 PM
I am truly sorry for you loss, and also having to deal with a terrible situation like this, and one I hope never to find myself in, as I would be at a loss as what to do.

I would be inclined to get Danny checked out, but also give yourself time to come to terms with what has happened, and what you feel you can cope with as a family.

It's a horrible situation, you've lost one dog in a tragic way, but a much loved pet is responsible, you must be in a whirl of emotions at the moment.

Thinking of you, Bessie and the rest of your dogs xxx
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
how awfull for you im sorry for your loss xx

i agree with Rune.
..also forgive me for saying....it may not even of been him,you will never know
I think that's the worst reality anyone has to face. Any possibility they all could be medically checked over?
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Oh my god how aweful!
I agree with what has been said to get him checked thoroughly at the vets. If he were my dog I wouldnt want him PTS either, but it may be an only option if his aggression is going to continue.
I think crating him is a must when left alone.

I am so sorry this has happened to you, your poor husband must be in tatters having found poor Bessie.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Oh god - what an awful, awful thing to happen Poor Bessie and poor you and your hubby RIP dear little Bessie.

I totally agree with Rune. I would get any relevant tests done on Danny at the vet and see if this could point to a reason as to why he may have attacked. If the tests prove nothing, then you will probably never know why this happened (could it have been jealousy over food or toys??) but it would certainly be wise to crate each dog separately while you are out, or alternatively have them in separate rooms separated by dog gates.

Bessie may well have had a fit of some kind, which triggered the attack on her - and even though the other dogs weren't covered in blood, doesn't necessarily mean they didn't join in - as a pack of dogs can certainly turn on a sick dog, or even just the underdog in a one on one fight

I have always left my (big) dogs alone when I am out and never had this kind of problem. It would completely devastate me, so I think I can imagine a little of what you are feeling right now.

Please take some time to think about what to do, and don't rush into any decision you may later regret.

HUGE hug though, as it must be a horrifying situation.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-01-2011, 07:43 PM
I have got no words for this ..
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 21 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »