View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2012, 06:30 PM
So sorry, I agree with others that you won't know unless you get a PM done on him...

I know someone who has a breed prone to bloat... and I have said the dangerous with feeding and exercise to soon... The owner doesn't listen, it is something I worry about...
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-05-2012, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
All breeds can suffer bloat/torsion and do.

It is more common in large deep chested breeds.

I would always leave at least an hour between exercise and feeding, better a hungry dog than a dead one.

The warning signs of bloat/torsion are great a) if they occur and b) if owners are aware of them; often however either or both are not.

When I took both my dogs to the vet they wanted us to go away and come back in the morning, I stood my ground and my decision was, unfortunately, vindicated.

I now keep Windeze and Infacol to hand to give to my dogs should I believe they are having a bloat/torsion and would give them these on the way to my immediate trip to the vet.

(Both contain simethicone which is used in Gas Aid in the US for dogs and here for cattle).
Thank you so much for your informative reply. I shall make sure we leave at least an hour between exercise and feeding in future.

I keep Infacol in too - for the rabbits as a 'just in case' for exactly the same reasons.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
I am intrested to hear about raised feeders as ive had one since she was a puppy but vet has told me not to use it. Have to be honest it has slowed her eating down as she gets a bit of kibble then stands back up to eat it then down for a bit more ect.
What are your thoughts on raised feeding?
I think it depends on the dog, if I had a large breed such as yours or bigger then probably but not for bloat per se, just because it prevents them splaying to eat.

I think dogs were designed to eat from the floor and thus should unless they are giant breeds.

Mine are fed from the floor.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2012, 08:06 AM
Thanks smokeybear. Just nice to have a 2nd opinion. Will give it another few days and see how we go as it has slowed her down so much as she wont chew or swallow when shes leaning down
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2012, 10:34 AM
It's a good point that dogs naturally would 'eat from the floor'. And dogs who take food from their bowl and walk off to eat it - eat it on the floor.

You know - I never even heard of 'bloat' in dogs before I read about it here.

In fact I consider myself to be a miraculously lucky dog owner - to have had dogs for so many years and not had problems with a lot of the stuff I read about here - anal gland problems, bloat etc.
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4