Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2004, 12:07 PM
Hi Bon,

Have to disagree with you! Rocky doesn't sound like he's being dominant at all, just playing (albeit unacceptable play), he is still very much a baby at 6 months.

Presa's do like to get hold of extremities (ie. feet or hands) as they were bred to hold onto things in this manner, but it does not necessarily mean that he is testing Azz.

Rocky has had some confidence issues, and I think that while the Leerburg article is useful, if Azz was to put into practice some of the methods mentioned Rocky would not cope with them. In fact, most pups wouldn't. (Not saying that you thought the more extreme methods could, but it may be misleading for some people.)

Hope I didn't sound like I was being critical,

Take care,

Lizzy.
Bon
Almost a Veteran

22-05-2004, 12:09 PM
Heck no Lizzy
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2004, 12:29 PM
Hi Lizzy

No I don't see Oskar at all. In fact I wrote a message to the guy who have him now, just sayinf that if he had to give Oskar up I would like to have him back. But he hasn't answered. Thats a bit sad. Yeah it was very hard to see him go, but I can see on Olivers behaviour that I did the right thing.

I miss him a lot especially seeing the pictures and remembering things he did.

I have a couple of pictures of Oliver in the pictures section. Look under "Luna a chocolate lab from Denmark"

Jeanette
Bon
Almost a Veteran

22-05-2004, 12:51 PM
Oh I forgot to ask....Lizzy are you Rocky's breeder?
Lizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2004, 12:53 PM
No!!!! But I have his 1/2 sister Lia. (Same sire, different dams)
Bon
Almost a Veteran

22-05-2004, 12:56 PM
Lucky girl :smt049
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

22-05-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by maureen
One grab and shake and that was it, broke every bone in its body.
Stop scaring me now Maureen... That's my worst nightmare if Rocky ever 'harmed' Cheetah! I shall be extreamly vigilant!

Bon - Thanks for the link! It's a big page and I shall read through it soon (it's on my to do list!)

Lizzy - I think leeburg is a bit to heavy-handed too but I do have a read of what he has to say just for his opnion.
Bon
Almost a Veteran

22-05-2004, 02:47 PM
You are welcome Azz. Re: The link I should have added use at your own discretion and apply with good judgment and common sense as it applies to your dog LOL.
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2004, 04:48 AM
The Presa that I watched used to nip at my hands when he wanted my attention, or my arm, or leg. I had to tell him no a few times. It REALLY hurt. It would go numb when he clamped down, and then hurt like heck. Never felt anything like that. I didn't take it as mean behavior, just he didn't know the strength of his own bite and he wanted my attention. Mostly he would do it if I didn't clap for him, or laugh when he did something cool.

Tigger always growls when we play. It's just play. At first I was scared because I heard all kinds of things on the boards about newbies shouldn't have these kinds of dogs, etc., but it was just play. I've tried to stop it, but it's part of the game, so I just gave up when I saw it was harmless.

Rocky sounds like a great boy. I wouldn't worry so much. Reading the working boards too much will have you doubting and redoubting yourself. Be confident in your dealing with him, and everything will be fine. You sound like you know what you're doing, or at least are navigating around with common sense, and that's all it takes.

With regards to the cat; my dogs would chase the cat I had (the one that moved into the cat colony behind me) whenever he was on the move, then the cat would scratch them, and they would back off. I don't think the dogs would have hurt him intentionally. If the cat scratches once or twice it will teach Rocky his boundaries. You are raising him in a civilized environment and I would guess he would pick up on that and behave accordingly. My dogs have, even the Presa. The Presa was the gentlest of all of them...
Bon
Almost a Veteran

23-05-2004, 11:39 AM
Yup it hurts like hell, a Boxer I doggie sat would do that when I had her outside playing. Sometimes they don't realize their own strength. :smt010
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >